• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Giants looking to add a high-profile executive

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's no path to competing for rings again without a true rebuild. They may not see that but it's pretty obvious.

giphy.gif

opinion-the-big-lebowski-well-thats-just-like-your-man-26BRrSvJUa0crqw4E

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This article (from the Athletic again, sorry) is very interesting. It touches on analytics and basically how most teams are not using them, except for the Astros. Final Thoughts: The solution to the Indians' problem might...

Talks about how the Astro hitters are prepared for every count from every pitcher, which is pretty straight forward analytics that pretty much all teams use, but it also touches on how the Astros are the only team that they know of that uses cameras for biomechanices.

Trevor Bauer is 27 years old and has made around $21 million dollars in his career thus far, between contracts and his signing bonus. He owns his own camera that can track biomechanices and he brings it with him to the stadium. If he can afford one, then teams can easily afford one or better yet a few (Bauer suggests in the article that each team should invest in six).

It's tough to actually gauge how much teams actually invest in analytics and all of that, I think the Giants were panned for that lack of analytics for years unfairly. But they aren't doing what the Astros are doing, and that's for damn sure. It also takes a collective effort and not a manager who literally throws the analytics away. The Giants have a prime opportunity to go fully down the rabbit hole, and the first step towards that will be whoever they hire in the front office. Hopefully they take it.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a pretty tough blow TBH, but I love where their heads are at if this is the type of person they're looking for:

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been pretty quiet on this front lately, but this is some big news:

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great questions.

I would still follow the team, obviously (this board is not a good place to get any other answer), and like 11704, I only go to 1 or 2 games a year as it is.

But would I watch “every” day? Probably not. But even when they are winners, I only watch/listen to maybe 130 games a year. This past month, I watched/listened to probably less than 5. But that was because there was no reason to watch. They were “trying to win”, but failing miserably. If they are rebuilding, I watch for different reasons. Will this young 3B develop? Will this trash-heap SS be a gem? Will the 1B be good enough to fetch something in a trade (ok, this won’t change)? As it was this year, why bother watching? They were playing a bunch of old dudes who didn’t care.

exactly... although i do believe the 'old dudes' care. however it isn't working and just trotting the same players out for another year with the same coaching style won't change things dramatically. sure there's enough talent that if enough players get hot and stay healthy they could (but not likely) make someone nervous in the nl west.

but there's not enough there-there to be a favorite and every year we keep doing the same ol' thing is another year we are putting of developing a new core. bochy won't be the guy to head any change. i love boch and what's he's done - but nothing significant will happen next year with him at the helm. same with sabean.

with a change we'd have hope, no change is it's just nope...

for the 1st time since moving to ATT i'm considering not renewing my partial (18gm) season tickets. why? well, glad you asked. season tix will cost me about $40/seat ($80/game) and i need to lock down my dates in advance. with the excitement gone wife is less than enthused to attend. i scrambled in '18 to find friends to attend w/ me... and attended solo about 1/2 the time.

other that a few marquee games (dodgers, a's, al east if that's the interleague in '19) i can get decent game day tix for maybe $15-30 on days i feel like attending (I'm only 2 blks from ATT). i'd be much more inclined to attend a game with new prospects, even if we'll get smashed, than going to see another 7-1 loss with the '18 lineup.

by retaining sabean/bochy/etc and not trading players with value for players with a future, f.o. has made it very clear they respect loyalty to their employees more than their fans. in '18 there were 30k season tix, meaning if zero fans showed up at the turnstyle, they'd report 30k attendence. sf (the city) is still a draw and opposing teams fans are filling att - they are getting season tix holder's seats (who are not attending) for 25% of face value. i expect this trend to continue and will be interested to see '19 season tix sales esp. with the warriors arena opening 2 blks away. as i've stated i expect corporate $$ to move from the giants to the warriors.

to retain giants fans the f.o. will need to - inject excitement, show a path to future success, reduce prices which have skyrocketed year over year, not destroy the only parking nearby to develop condos..... all things i've not seen any movement on.

i fear a very long cycle until we're competitive (but admittedly i'm a glass half empty guy by nature), hopefully i'm wrong

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far was a9int done shit in terms of getting new brass in this bitch. We are in a bad situation and no real good MLB guy would want to work and start out in cap hell with a bunch of old dudes and no talent in the minors.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ng beat Scott Boras in an arbitration hearing. She has close relationships with all MLB front offices. Would be excellent for the contractual/negotiating table side. As far as her baseball analysis? I don't know, but this is supposed to be a two-pronged hire so if Ng is in the War room, the other hire could be the analytical/ops person.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far was a9int done shit in terms of getting new brass in this bitch. We are in a bad situation and no real good MLB guy would want to work and start out in cap hell with a bunch of old dudes and no talent in the minors.

The Giants aren't really in cap hell. The luxury tax is not a problem going forward, and it's unlikely this team adds much money anyway.

This is actually a pretty attractive situation for the ambitious types. A team that clearly is going to have a major makeover and as much capital as any team out there, save for the Yankees and Dodgers? A new eager GM/President has the chance to build their legacy here, and will have a lot of freedom and resources to do so.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants aren't really in cap hell. The luxury tax is not a problem going forward, and it's unlikely this team adds much money anyway.

This is actually a pretty attractive situation for the ambitious types. A team that clearly is going to have a major makeover and as much capital as any team out there, save for the Yankees and Dodgers? A new eager GM/President has the chance to build their legacy here, and will have a lot of freedom and resources to do so.
Major makeover? Are we sure about that?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
exactly... although i do believe the 'old dudes' care. however it isn't working and just trotting the same players out for another year with the same coaching style won't change things dramatically. sure there's enough talent that if enough players get hot and stay healthy they could (but not likely) make someone nervous in the nl west.

but there's not enough there-there to be a favorite and every year we keep doing the same ol' thing is another year we are putting of developing a new core. bochy won't be the guy to head any change. i love boch and what's he's done - but nothing significant will happen next year with him at the helm. same with sabean.

with a change we'd have hope, no change is it's just nope...

for the 1st time since moving to ATT i'm considering not renewing my partial (18gm) season tickets. why? well, glad you asked. season tix will cost me about $40/seat ($80/game) and i need to lock down my dates in advance. with the excitement gone wife is less than enthused to attend. i scrambled in '18 to find friends to attend w/ me... and attended solo about 1/2 the time.

other that a few marquee games (dodgers, a's, al east if that's the interleague in '19) i can get decent game day tix for maybe $15-30 on days i feel like attending (I'm only 2 blks from ATT). i'd be much more inclined to attend a game with new prospects, even if we'll get smashed, than going to see another 7-1 loss with the '18 lineup.

by retaining sabean/bochy/etc and not trading players with value for players with a future, f.o. has made it very clear they respect loyalty to their employees more than their fans. in '18 there were 30k season tix, meaning if zero fans showed up at the turnstyle, they'd report 30k attendence. sf (the city) is still a draw and opposing teams fans are filling att - they are getting season tix holder's seats (who are not attending) for 25% of face value. i expect this trend to continue and will be interested to see '19 season tix sales esp. with the warriors arena opening 2 blks away. as i've stated i expect corporate $$ to move from the giants to the warriors.

to retain giants fans the f.o. will need to - inject excitement, show a path to future success, reduce prices which have skyrocketed year over year, not destroy the only parking nearby to develop condos..... all things i've not seen any movement on.

i fear a very long cycle until we're competitive (but admittedly i'm a glass half empty guy by nature), hopefully i'm wrong

Well, I think you're in for disappointment. The price reduction you are looking for will be on the secondary market as you've stated. The Giants aren't lowering them. The City is not going to develop more parking, as it disfavors autos anyway. This is actually forward thinking as in 10 years very few people in SF will own cars.

All that said, I'm excited to see what the FO does in 19.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I think you're in for disappointment. The price reduction you are looking for will be on the secondary market as you've stated. The Giants aren't lowering them. The City is not going to develop more parking, as it disfavors autos anyway. This is actually forward thinking as in 10 years very few people in SF will own cars.

Most of this sounds right but 10 years is way too soon for that

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of this sounds right but 10 years is way too soon for that
Not according to most everything I read. Cars will be on demand like most everything else and will be 90% driverless in the City by 2028. Few people will own cars, as they won't need to. Accidents will plummet, insurance will go down, and we will all be able to work/talk/watch the interwebs instead of drive. The revolution will start here in SF.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

secondary market in '18 was pennies on the dollar... i couldn't sell my $65 lower box for more than $20 on several occasions. Often the seats went without an offer and I attended solo. I doubt there will be an uptick in demand in '19 (or '20, and beyond)

parking exists on the other side of mccovey cove. it's the only parking in the area wi/ 4k spots. its full for every game. giants somehow own rights to this waterfront public area and will begin development by removing parking and constructing residential and mixed used commercial space. that's a done deal, the only variable is when they'll start construction.

Giants pick New York developer for Mission Rock project near AT&T Park

without a lot it will discourage non-urban residents from attending. that'll be a reasonable impact on attendance

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not according to most everything I read. Cars will be on demand like most everything else and will be 90% driverless in the City by 2028. Few people will own cars, as they won't need to. Accidents will plummet, insurance will go down, and we will all be able to work/talk/watch the interwebs instead of drive. The revolution will start here in SF.

thats clearly the way sf transit is going. around the ball park most streets are being redesigned to eliminate parking and to reduce the number of lanes from 4 to either 3 or 2. Unfortunately there has not been a increase in public transportation and unlike NY, there are large swaths of the city not accessible by public transportation

for tourists and 20somethings (who ride bikes/scooters/skateboards) its great... for the rest of us it's crap - (try getting to harding park golf course with your clubs on a skateboard). we already have seen a drop off in out of town social visits over the last decade due to parking. my buddy (a diehard giants fan) lives near the marina and has stopped coming to game due to lack of public transportation, traffic, parking.....