• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Giants get their reliever

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Claimed Jose Mijares off waivers from the Royals....

Didn't we get someone else from the Royals too? ;)

But in all seriousness, Sabean checked everything off his list from this years deadline:

Right-handed bat: Hunter Pence

Bench Depth: Marco Suctaro

Reliever: Jose Mijares

A good re-tooling job from Saby-Sabes this year.

Last edited by a moderator:

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Claimed Jose Mijares off waivers from the Royals....

Didn't we get someone else from the Royals too? ;)

But in all seriousness, Sabean checked everything off his list from this years deadline:

Right-handed bat: Hunter Pence

Bench Depth: Marco Suctaro

Reliever: Jose Mijares

A good re-tooling job from Saby-Sabes this year.

He is a decent reliever and better than the backend of our bullpen...But another lefty?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He still has 2 years of control left (2 arbitration years) so this isn't a rent-a-reliever. It's an outright waiver claim I believe so we take on all his remaining salary (nothing major). This also wouldn't be the first lefty the Giants claimed off of waivers ever...

He'll join the team tomorrow, someones getting the boot.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is a decent reliever and better than the backend of our bullpen...But another lefty?

He is better against lefties, but he holds his own against righties too. Plus better to have him than someone like Brad Penny/Shane Loux who can't get anyone out.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is better against lefties, but he holds his own against righties too. Plus better to have him than someone like Brad Penny/Shane Loux who can't get anyone out.

He's ok/meh against righties - they hit .280-.290 off him I think... But he's young he's good against lefties... I like it I just thought they'd be looking for a RH.

Freeport 22

The Chosen One
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who does he replace ?

Hensley or Kontos

I guess this means no Runzler this year , Sept call up maybe

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we get him for nothing? Wow...

I would guess Loux gets the super-ball treatment...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can also look at this as a negotiation play for talks with Affeldt in the off-season...

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing thats a little worry-some is that he got passed every AL team and most of the NL. I know he's a headcase, but if someone picks up Jonathan Sanchez that all can go out the window.

Freeport 22

The Chosen One
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Penny or Loux, no way Kontos is replaced and Hensley is decent enough.

Right now the Giants have 13 pitchers , Loux will probably go down .

When Pablo comes back , either Penny , Kontos or Hensley go down .

I think Penny is finished but for some reason I think Rags and Bochy want him around , veteran presence , that means eventually its Kontos or Clay

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Penny is finished but for some reason I think Rags and Bochy want him around , veteran presence , that means eventually its Kontos or Clay

Asking Brad Penny to be a good veteran presence is like asking Bengie Molina to put down the chicken. The guy is not really a great teammate and the bullpen is full of veterans anyway; Romo, Lopez, Affeldt are all battle-tested and Hensley is a veteran himself. Kontos has the best numbers of the three, Hensley has a soft spot in Bochy's heart. Penny gives up too many hits and doesn't strike anyone out anymore and is a jackass.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If Loux doesn't go down first I would be shocked. I don't think either Hensley or Kontos have done anything so wrong to even be considered for demotion. Kontos in particular.

Penny to me has to be next on the list. But I hear ya about the veteran presence angle... I think we have enough of a world series winning veteran presence in the bullpen already.

Freeport 22

The Chosen One
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Penny sucks and needs to be released asap , I don't believe Bochy and Rags will do it .

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Penny sucks and needs to be released asap , I don't believe Bochy and Rags will do it .

Yo comprende. But man if they release a reliever with a 2.24 or 3.35 era over him there might be some ramifications in the clubhouse.

I wonder if they'd bump Pill, Belt or Arias in lieu? I'm not advocating for that but if as you say they are opposed to releasing Penny I wonder if that's something they consider.

Edit: Interesting thought from Schulman that this might signal Affeldt moving into the closers role hmmm...

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They didn't have a problem with Bengie, or Rowand, or Tejada and frankly they publicly haven't inspired much hope into Huff either and they replaced Pablo when he scuffled. You are thinking of the old Giants, let it go man it's okay. Welcome to the new era of Giants: if you aren't preforming, see ya later.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yo comprende. But man if they release a reliever with a 2.24 or 3.35 era over him there might be some ramifications in the clubhouse.

I wonder if they'd bump Pill, Belt or Arias in lieu? I'm not advocating for that but if as you say they are opposed to releasing Penny I wonder if that's something they consider.

Edit: Interesting thought from Schulman that this might signal Affeldt moving into the closers role hmmm...

that was my thought, too

They might do an unconventional closer by committee where they treat the 9th inning like they do the 8th and mix match Romo, Casilla, Lopez, and Affeldt

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that was my thought, too

They might do an unconventional closer by committee where they treat the 9th inning like they do the 8th and mix match Romo, Casilla, Lopez, and Affeldt

Well there you go Bochy says it will be closer by committee... Affeldt and Casilla.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:: View topic - Mijares to Giants

Just a taste, but the guys on this board seem to be baffled about the move.

Mijares seems to be a real character who is loved by the rest of the bullpen. I suspect he will fit in great with the personalities we have.

There was apparently some kind of FO speach made to the players about having too much fun(??). In response, they are clearing out the guys who are distracting the kids from getting business done.

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Asking Brad Penny to be a good veteran presence is like asking Bengie Molina to put down the chicken. The guy is not really a great teammate and the bullpen is full of veterans anyway; Romo, Lopez, Affeldt are all battle-tested and Hensley is a veteran himself. Kontos has the best numbers of the three, Hensley has a soft spot in Bochy's heart. Penny gives up too many hits and doesn't strike anyone out anymore and is a jackass.

So I take it you don't like Penny... ;)

I like these stats: Mijares with 37 Ks and 13 BBs this year.

(By comparison, Affeldt with 39 Ks, 13 BBs)

Edit: Been struggling lately. Four appearances, 4 ER, 3 hits, 3 walks, 1 HR, 0 Ks, 1 total inning pitched.