• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Get ready to be pissed

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't hate it because I'd rather have a full time guy as champ and at the end of the day I do think Roman is the right guy for Lesnar to put over.

With that said Roman's going to have nuclear heat with the Smarkish Brooklyn crowd. The Raw the next night is in Brooklyn too. It should be a spectacle.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like it. Roman can handle the heat, and he is getting better on the mic every day. I do think Stroman will get a chance to carry the title, but I don't see him as being a consistent A player. He's essentially Big Show.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like it. Roman can handle the heat, and he is getting better on the mic every day. I do think Stroman will get a chance to carry the title, but I don't see him as being a consistent A player. He's essentially Big Show.
Essentially Big Show? This is one of the dumbest things I've seen on this site.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pissed? This is good news. This means we don't have to endure almost a year of them bending over backwards to keep them away from each other and stalling out everything else on Raw just so those two can have a WM match no one really cares all that much about. Better to get it over with already

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess that means your opinion is really bad then since you didn't offer one, you only criticized mine.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Most wrestlers would love to have a 20 plus year career like the Big Show. There's a shelf-life on the monster heel gimmick.

Who does Strowman compare to in your opinion?

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They can potentially do a lot more with Braun than they did with Big Show, largely because Braun is more athletic/versatile.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm looking forward to seeing Brock rag doll that poor man's Umaga. Brock is the GOAT, and wrestlers would be a lot more interesting if they were all booked as infrequently as Brock is (wrestling 1-2 times a month), but I'm cool w Reigns beating him.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
They can potentially do a lot more with Braun than they did with Big Show, largely because Braun is more athletic/versatile.
Big Show was just as athletic in his prime as Braun is now . He probably was even more impressive.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most wrestlers would love to have a 20 plus year career like the Big Show. There's a shelf-life on the monster heel gimmick.

Who does Strowman compare to in your opinion?
I don't know why I have to compare him to anyone. He's a better heel than Big Show was, tho I guess When Big Show first came over he was great and he was a consistent A player. That's what got to me the most. Strowman is one of the best things on Raw and saying he isn't an A player and can't be consistently is an insult to him. I think he can be more Kane than Big Show.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't know why I have to compare him to anyone. He's a better heel than Big Show was, tho I guess When Big Show first came over he was great and he was a consistent A player. That's what got to me the most. Strowman is one of the best things on Raw and saying he isn't an A player and can't be consistently is an insult to him. I think he can be more Kane than Big Show.

The reason I asked for your comparison is because you called someone else's the dumbest thing you've read on the site. That would usually imply that you have a better one.
I'm sure we've all noticed a formula where they book a heel as an unbeatable monster who then eventually puts over the top babyface in the company. This would appear to be what's happening with Strowman and Reigns. What happens after Strowman loses his feud with Roman? He can't put Finn or Seth in an ambulance and flip it over every week.
You mentioned Kane being a better comparison than Big Show. I don't make a huge distinction between them. If Strowman has a career like either one I would consider it a success.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huge Creative Plan Changes Rumored To Have Been Made For The SummerSlam & WrestleMania 34 Main Events

Short Verison: Metlzer is saying Regins/Lesnar III is penciled in as the Summer Slam main event.

This bugs me because god damnit Stroman is there and ready for it. They just aren't giving it to him

Wasn't the whole problem with Roman that they pushed him too fast, whether he was ready for it or not? Why is Stroman ok to get the wrestlemania or summer slam main event after basically his first full year. Will there be a group against Stroman like they are against Reigns?

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big Show was just as athletic in his prime as Braun is now . He probably was even more impressive.

I remember when The Giant (Big Show in WCW) first broke out. I remember, among other things, being amazed at his drop kicks and thinking that it was really impressive for such a big guy to pull it off with good height.

I love Stroman as a monster heel, but you have to remember that he is 4-5" shorter than Big Show (Paul Wight, who was 7'1" or 7'2" in his prime) and weighed over 100# less than Wight did in recent years. Between all of the punishment that his body has taken over the years and his bloating up to around 500# made him a lot less athletic and mobile than he once was. Wight should have remained under 400# for his career if his performance was to be kept optimal.

All in all, it is really comparing apples and oranges. Stroman is a huge, intimidating monster heel but Big Show is a true giant. If the WWE had wanted to use him differently they could have made him into an unbeatable force like Andre was but they didn't go that route and it turned him into a mid-carder who could be bumped up the card if necessary.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I remember when The Giant (Big Show in WCW) first broke out. I remember, among other things, being amazed at his drop kicks and thinking that it was really impressive for such a big guy to pull it off with good height.

I love Stroman as a monster heel, but you have to remember that he is 4-5" shorter than Big Show (Paul Wight, who was 7'1" or 7'2" in his prime) and weighed over 100# less than Wight did in recent years. Between all of the punishment that his body has taken over the years and his bloating up to around 500# made him a lot less athletic and mobile than he once was. Wight should have remained under 400# for his career if his performance was to be kept optimal.

All in all, it is really comparing apples and oranges. Stroman is a huge, intimidating monster heel but Big Show is a true giant. If the WWE had wanted to use him differently they could have made him into an unbeatable force like Andre was but they didn't go that route and it turned him into a mid-carder who could be bumped up the card if necessary.

When I mentioned how athletic Big Show was I considered posting a YouTube clip of him hitting Chris Benoit with a drop kick in his Giant/WCW days. It was just a drop kick but at his size it was ridiculously athletic.
One of the old school guyd (maybe Jim Ross, can't remember) made a point that in the territory days it was much easier to book moster heels. You booked them as invincible for 6 months to a year than when they eventually lost to your top babyface you just sent them to another territory where fans with fresh eyes see them as invincible and you just repeat the formula. It's almost impossible for them to keep that mystique now unless you do a Lesnar thing where they only wrestle a handful of matches a year.

I've been really impressed with Strowman. If he ends up as a main event gatekeeper like Big Show or Kane for the next generation that's not a bad role. I do think he's a little closer to Big Show's size than you do. I remember their matches a few months back and Show might have had an inch or two on him but they were almost the same height.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I mentioned how athletic Big Show was I considered posting a YouTube clip of him hitting Chris Benoit with a drop kick in his Giant/WCW days. It was just a drop kick but at his size it was ridiculously athletic.
One of the old school guyd (maybe Jim Ross, can't remember) made a point that in the territory days it was much easier to book moster heels. You booked them as invincible for 6 months to a year than when they eventually lost to your top babyface you just sent them to another territory where fans with fresh eyes see them as invincible and you just repeat the formula. It's almost impossible for them to keep that mystique now unless you do a Lesnar thing where they only wrestle a handful of matches a year.

I've been really impressed with Strowman. If he ends up as a main event gatekeeper like Big Show or Kane for the next generation that's not a bad role. I do think he's a little closer to Big Show's size than you do. I remember their matches a few months back and Show might have had an inch or two on him but they were almost the same height.

Your point about the territories is spot on. Jim Cornette keeps saying "We can't miss you if you never go away." in relation to this point in the modern days. That is why I keep hoping against hope that another federation or two could rise up and actually challenge the WWE so we could maybe have this type of freshness nowdays, albeit on a limited basis because people can see almost everything on the net.

As it is, everyone gets way more stale all of the time now. I remember as a kid how exciting it was when a new face would arrive on the scene. Either it could be someone that they had discussed for weeks, like I remember Kevin Sullivan putting out a contract and bringing in guys to the south as hired hitmen to attack the babyfaces, or a suprise like when Dusty and Tommy Rich (?) brought a refrigerator box out to the announcers podium in Georgia, left it there, and when the Four Horsemen and Piper (I think it was them) came out and George The Animal Steele came busting out of it and proceeded to destroy everyone! You just don't have those types of surprises anymore.

In regards to the height issue, Wight was listed a 7'1" on his college basketball team, and was claimed as 7'2" early in his career. Over time, I am sure that gravity and his excessive weight has shrunk him a bit (I used to be 6'5", but I am now probably lucky to be 6'4") so he is maybe 6'11"-7'0"? I always hear that Stroman is 6'8" or 6'9", and if he has "tall" boots, it could easily add an inch, so that is probably why they seemed so close. But my comparision is "in their primes", of which The Big Show is long past at this point.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Not to argue too much on height but Shaq is listed as 7'1 and when he was face to face with Big Show at WM a couple years back there was a substantial advantage in Shaq's favor.

I'm not sure on Show's prime but he's probably 6'10 these days and Strowman is right there with him.

I agree on the need for viable alternatives to WWE in the US. The wrestlers would have so much more leverage for their creative and financial situation if they had somewhere else to go.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said, I guess the comparison didn't bother me as much as saying he couldn't be a consistent A player. There is no reason he can't be. He doesn't have to win every feud to be a consistent A player. Everyone loses feuds.