• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Georgia Tech vs Virginia Tech

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Virginia T keeps letting GT stay in the game. Pass interference.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Virginia T keeps letting GT stay in the game. Pass interference.

I said earlier Bonner (#8) is the only VT defensive player that hasn't played exceptionally so far. Without his whiffs GT would not even be in this game.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good game. Entertaining for a Thursday nighter.

rfjeff9

THWG!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,435.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean I see where a GT fan is coming from with the false starts and everything, but that is also playing into VT's plan here. They are pressuring the shit out of GT upfront and they are getting jumpy upfront in anticipation of the play. This VT defense could very well be the best Foster has ever had and that is with 2 true freshman at CB. A decent VT offensive output + a top3 D in the country is going to = an L more often than not. GT looks to just have gotten the shitty end of the stick when it comes to VT in this game....and they are still very much in it.

I dont know.I see offensive linemen aiming for a cut block and completely missing their guy, he is already in the backfield. I think Foster did a fine job getting ready and we just don't do well against a good D.

I think the great experiment is over if this is what we can expect from this coach and offense after this many years. I don't see any ACC championships again with this style offense. Hell, I don't see a Coastal championship either.

Now we have to play Miami, BYU, Clemson, and UGA. Virginia can beat us. We suck, and it's no lie. We're looking at 5 losses, could be even worse.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So should VT be ranked after this game?

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know.I see offensive linemen aiming for a cut block and completely missing their guy, he is already in the backfield. I think Foster did a fine job getting ready and we just don't do well against a good D.

I think the great experiment is over if this is what we can expect from this coach and offense after this many years. I don't see any ACC championships again with this style offense. Hell, I don't see a Coastal championship either.

Now we have to play Miami, BYU, Clemson, and UGA. Virginia can beat us. We suck, and it's no lie. We're looking at 5 losses, could be even worse.

I've never been a fan of the triple option at the BCS conference level. Talent just doesn't want to retard their development into the NFL when it comes down to it. I respect the shit out of Paul Johnson running that offense and think no one in the country would run it better, but it is just too much of a handicap in regards to recruiting. Defenses and upperclassmen after awhile just get used to playing it and it just kills it's effectiveness. All that is just from my outside semi-educated opinion though.

xpuctaqpGT

Modern Major General
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I had us at an 8-4 regular season, and I think that is still doable.

Unfortunately for us, we don't have the $$$ to pay for the top end coaches and assistant coaches at GT. We're going to be forever stuck with Paul Johnson (or someone like him) or have to hope to get lucky on some up and coming coach that will use GT as a stepping stone.

I'm hoping we can still get the 8-4 season. We have a reasonably good recruiting class coming in. And maybe use that to build for the future. We'll see.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had us at an 8-4 regular season, and I think that is still doable.

Unfortunately for us, we don't have the $$$ to pay for the top end coaches and assistant coaches at GT. We're going to be forever stuck with Paul Johnson (or someone like him) or have to hope to get lucky on some up and coming coach that will use GT as a stepping stone.

I'm hoping we can still get the 8-4 season. We have a reasonably good recruiting class coming in. And maybe use that to build for the future. We'll see.

rehire oleary??

xpuctaqpGT

Modern Major General
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never been a fan of the triple option at the BCS conference level. Talent just doesn't want to retard their development into the NFL when it comes down to it. I respect the shit out of Paul Johnson running that offense and think no one in the country would run it better, but it is just too much of a handicap in regards to recruiting. Defenses and upperclassmen after awhile just get used to playing it and it just kills it's effectiveness. All that is just from my outside semi-educated opinion though.

I did a quick scan of VT's recruiting classes for the last few years, and every class has been in the 20-25 range.

During Chan Gailey's tenure at GT every class but one was ranked 49+. (we had one phenomenal class ranked 17). Under Paul Johnson's Tenure, the first few years our recruiting classes were in the 40-45 range and on average better than Gailey's classes. (Except for that one special #17 class). The past two year our classes have all been 50+, but this year's class is currently #29.

And my overall point is this: In the last 12ish years and two different coaches and schemes, we've had exactly one class ranked better than #40. I don't know how much of our crappy recruiting is because of Paul Johnson and his scheme, and how much of it is some sort of stigma/curse attached to Georgia Tech as a whole.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've got them 12th for next weeks SportsHoopla poll voting.

A lot higher than I would have them based upon their lack of consistency on offense. If they start to put together some decent offensive games in conference that would be justified though IMO. A good defense can win a lot of ballgames and VT's could very well be the best in the country.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Noticed a lot of helmet talk so here's a link that explains the hokie stone helmets:

Here?s Why Virginia Tech?s ?Hokie Stone? Helmets Have The Number 430 On The Back | College Spun ? Social. Local. Consumable. College Sports.

Summary for those too lazy to click:

-Hokie Stone is local rock used in just about every building on campus

-The logo on the side of the helmets represents our War Memorial (we have cadets if you didn't know), which is located on the drill field of our campus

-The 430 on the back of the helmet is to honor alumni who have been killed while in service to this country.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I gave up on PJ a long time ago. Stomped by Middle Tennessee? Please. At least at UNC we don't fear MT.

The triple option works only for a weak team that plays a weak schedule, i.e. Navy, Army, etc. Ga. Southern will have to get rid of it, too, because once teams in your league learn how to stop it then it's time for a big change. Also, it is killing GT in recruiting.