• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Georgetown hires Patrick Ewing as new Head coach

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wish him all the luck...but i don't think this is going to work out

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is a great hire. Ewing is a grinder, he's wanted to be a head coach for a while now. If he can get Georgetown back to what it was the Big East will be alot of fun again.

Loneranger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ummmm...okay. wow
might be the worst hire in NCAA history. Ewing is one of the 5 dumbest people in the history of mankind. In fact he's all 5 of them now that I think of it. Georgetown hoops is officially dead and will never recover from this. One day you guys will be telling your kids G'town was once a major hoops program. Your kids will laugh

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
might be the worst hire in NCAA history. Ewing is one of the 5 dumbest people in the history of mankind. In fact he's all 5 of them now that I think of it. Georgetown hoops is officially dead and will never recover from this. One day you guys will be telling your kids G'town was once a major hoops program. Your kids will laugh

Georgetown and St Johns games can be great again.

it just wont be in any tourneys :L

Zooky

I make chunk plays.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good luck PE!

Loneranger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Georgetown and St Johns games can be great again.

it just wont be in any tourneys :L
the annual xmas tourn like HS. All kidding aside I'm betting the ranch Gtown completely disappears off the map. Kids today don't give a shit about Ewing and never even saw him play. It's not like he's Jordan , he's just an old guy who doesn't speak well and isn't nearly qualified to run a program.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gtown should have broken the bank for Shaka Smart. I'm not sure Ewing is ready. Hell Allen Iverson was probably a better coaching candidate.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Allen-Iverson.jpg
They shoulda hired this guy instead...

I bet he could recruit...

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish Ewing all the best, guy's supposed to be the next good head coach. He went to Georgetown too so that's good for them.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Allen-Iverson.jpg
They shoulda hired this guy instead...

I bet he could recruit...
He could recruit but he needs to get a Bachelor's first. I'm pretty sure he can get an art degree from the University of Phoenix in no time.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't think it's the best move to go out of your way to get a former player or assistant just to keep it within the program, if you can get a better coach from beyond. If a school has a bunch of great choices and some former player is the tie-breaker then go for it. But it seems rather limiting for a program like GTown, with a ton to throw at it to find a proven up-and-coming CBB coach for the job. Seems like they settled because they wanted someone from GTown. Now they have a coach who has never been a HC, or coached in college, and they are taking their chances. It might very well work out for them, but I think they could go for someone who has a proven themselves in college already. Hopefully, Ewing surrounds himself with some good recruiters and ties to the circuits.

I feel the same about Duke. Duke can go out and get pretty much anyone. I just don't get why they would consider staying with former players/coaches when they could get someone so much further along.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't think it's the best move to go out of your way to get a former player or assistant just to keep it within the program, if you can get a better coach from beyond. If a school has a bunch of great choices and some former player is the tie-breaker then go for it. But it seems rather limiting for a program like GTown, with a ton to throw at it to find a proven up-and-coming CBB coach for the job. Seems like they settled because they wanted someone from GTown. Now they have a coach who has never been a HC, or coached in college, and they are taking their chances. It might very well work out for them, but I think they could go for someone who has a proven themselves in college already. Hopefully, Ewing surrounds himself with some good recruiters and ties to the circuits.

I feel the same about Duke. Duke can go out and get pretty much anyone. I just don't get why they would consider staying with former players/coaches when they could get someone so much further along.

It's weird.

They wanted to get rid of JTIII, but they didn't want to completely move away from John Thompson, so Ewing kind of straddles.

I personally cannot think of any situation where an NBA star has become a successful NBA coach.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's weird.

They wanted to get rid of JTIII, but they didn't want to completely move away from John Thompson, so Ewing kind of straddles.

I personally cannot think of any situation where an NBA star has become a successful NBA coach.

Good point about NBA stars translating. I can't think of one either; maybe some decent players but not like HOF.

I think Thompson still pulls the strings and doesn't want to give up his influence to a coach from the outside, who wants more autonomy. There are times when a good coach who is part of the university comes home and does really well. But I also think they are usually head coaches somewhere, and/or they were an assistants in college. I just think it's pretty risky to bring in an NBA assistant just because he is a HOF from the university under the patron. Seems like they are missing out on a bunch of coaches that are more geared toward CBB that would be a less risky choice for HC.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a high risk move bordering on a dumb move. He's never been a head coach anywhere. He's never even been an assistant in college. He's 30 years removed from the college game. NBA players to college coaching so far has a very poor track record. If Georgetown wasn't so scared of Big John, I doubt he's even considered. There's a very slim chance this works out imo and could very well be the death knell for Georgetown. They'll be DePaul, St. John's, and the other old powers that couldn't adapt to the times

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Every school tries and gets an "Old School" guy. It doesn't always work. Indiana has tried it a couple of times since Knight left. Coach K hires assistants whom he trusts. Those are his guys. Not just great Alums. And Coach K never attended Duke before he was hired. Even Vic Bubas was an NC State guy. Ask UNC how they liked Doherty? No, it doesn't always work but it is a starting point. Ewing will probably get every Center he recruits now.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Give those guys a shot imo. They learned under one of the games best. They know the system and how Duke runs.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every school tries and gets an "Old School" guy. It doesn't always work. Indiana has tried it a couple of times since Knight left. Coach K hires assistants whom he trusts. Those are his guys. Not just great Alums. And Coach K never attended Duke before he was hired. Even Vic Bubas was an NC State guy. Ask UNC how they liked Doherty? No, it doesn't always work but it is a starting point. Ewing will probably get every Center he recruits now.

I hear ya. Like I said, it can definitely work. I think Washington hiring Romar really helped them, but then their loyalty to him cost them when they didn't move on once he hit his ceiling. Lots of guys go back home and do well. If it's a tiebreaker between a guy around the program and someone else, then go for it. I just think there are better hires than the ones who either played for/coached with K. I get why he wants a successor he knows and knows the program, but I just think it's limiting for what they can get.

I know that K isn't from Duke, I'm just saying that they want to replace K with one of his guys. I certainly understand it, I just think they can get about any coach they want, and if they stay with one of K's guys, then I think they are missing out on so many better coaches than the ones on K's coaching tree or former players. From what I hear, Duke really isn't too hot on getting anyone outside of K's influence, right? Is that the best they can get?

Give those guys a shot imo. They learned under one of the games best. They know the system and how Duke runs.

I just think that Duke can get pretty much anyone. And I'd pick some other great coaches over the ones getting the most consideration.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@CatsTopPac - No doubt they could.. Just think they should (for now) stay with what works