• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Geno Auriemma Criticizes Men's College Basketball; "It's a Joke!"

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course people are going to take issue with it coming from someone in womens basketball... but he isn't wrong, IMO.

The perception of womens basketball is worse than reality, IMO. They are better shooters... but generally require more space to get one off. Making a layup is not a given in womens basketball, which takes getting used to.

They play the game pretty well, though... you'll see less iso type basketball... better ball movement... much more post-game work. The womens game has come a long way in 10 years.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he is right about a lot of what he said but he is still an idiot for saying it is a joke. this wkend is the 2nd biggest sporting event of the yr. he has turned women's basketball into grammar school basketball. where the talent between teams is beyond a joke.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He says there are only 10 good mens bball teams....there are never more than one or two good womens teams competing year to year. And any given year, beat UConn and win it all.

Sure hope the guy has a remote so he can change the channel. I'm watching cause mens basketball and especially March Madness is the best sporting event on the planet.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's easy to talk about something that you've never done and walk away.

I coached boys and girls basketball for almost 40 years. I started when I was 24 and still cover for coaches today.

Those of you who think women's basketball is boring have no idea what basketball is about. Women do several things that 90% of men don't do. 1. Pass, and pass well. 2. Shoot. Most women cannot dunk and therefore learn how to shoot a basketball and shoot it well. 3. Talk. Listen carefully and women will talk to team mates on the floor constantly. 4. Know, understand and follow the rules. Coaching women and girls is much easier for the coach. Women and girls listen and follow instructions. Tell them what you want they do it exactly as you tell them. Something goes wrong, they did what the coach said.

Boys from 5th grade on think the game is about alley oops, spins and fancy moves. When they get to middle school you can't tell them a thing....they know everything and how to do it. Coach... your old and can't play anymore. 12 foot jump shot? No, I'm gonna drive and scoop a shot. Of course the kid that's doing all of the fancy footwork is 5'2" and he's dribbling the entire court and driving in amongst 3 guys who have already hit 6' and have hair on their chests.

Talk about fundamentals....the shorter guys work on dribbling and a lot of them can handle the ball well. Until they are guarded by a kid who understands defense using their feet. Then Mr. Cousy becomes Mr. Coughitup.

Don't blame it on the AAU. Blame it on the inner city coaches who have convinced the inner city moms to keep Sharone in daycare until he's 7. Then he goes to preschool and starts kindergarten at 8. He plays elementary school basketball in 5th grade where he's a star. Of course most 5th graders are 10, Sharone is 12 and starting puberty. He's 14 in the 7th grade and 6'2" while all of the other 12 year olds who are in the 7th are at a physical disadvantage. Sharone doesn't attend much high school but is on the Varsity Basketball team and gets a diploma at age 21. Here's the problem now..........AAU reverted to age groups this year. You MUST have an honest to God birth certificate, not a note, not a semi-valid piece of paper, a state certified birth certificate.
My grandson plays and every kid on his team is 13 years old or under and can't turn 14 until September. He plays in 13U..7th Grade. You cannot be older than 13, even if your in the 7th grade.

Boys, starting at the middle school level are extremely difficult to try to talk to. Even when you try to explain something, they storm off and slam down on the bench and cross their arms. Put them back in the game and they'll do exactly what you told them not to do. They have to show you that your wrong and their right. Try spending 5 hours a week trying to teach 5 boys how to do an inbounds under their own hoop, who are also trying to figure out what the hell is going on with their bodies and minds and try not to kill any one of them. Tell thyem that anyone who shoots or drives to the hoop without passing at least twice is grabbing some pine and see how well they listen. I won't go into the kids who can dunk..........

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^What you described is a bit different then the entertainment factor derived from men's basketball versus women's basketball.

When my son was playing hockey, I preferred non checking leagues for the same reason you've described above. But when comparing non checking leagues versus checking leagues, which one generates the crowds and revenue is a different story.

So if you're looking for purity...sure....but if you want to be entertained....go with the big guns.

shabazz916

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ncca men's basketball should just copy all the rules etc from the nba and it will be a better game

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ncca men's basketball should just copy all the rules etc from the nba and it will be a better game

That's already around, it's called the D League.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he is right about a lot of what he said but he is still an idiot for saying it is a joke. this wkend is the 2nd biggest sporting event of the yr. he has turned women's basketball into grammar school basketball. where the talent between teams is beyond a joke.

He's saying the way the game is played is a joke. Not the sport itself. If men's basketball were played more similar to the women's game I think it would be more enjoyable to a majority of people. Women's basketball will never be popular because of the perception of the sport. Women's basketball is much more of a team sport and less physical.

shabazz916

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's saying the way the game is played is a joke. Not the sport itself. If men's basketball were played more similar to the women's game I think it would be more enjoyable to a majority of people. Women's basketball will never be popular because of the perception of the sport. Women's basketball is much more of a team sport and less physical.
if college basketball produced more jordans & kobe's it would be a better.. instead it procudes team players.. don't nobody wanna see that...

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's seeking attention. If women basketball was so worthy of accolades, especially his, he wouldn't have to say anything about mens basketball.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is a arrogant unlikeable dick with poor timing.
But, he is right.

College Basketball is clearly trending in the wrong direction.
I am sad to see it. It wasn't that long ago, it was probably the best sport for fans.

The game is bad now. Forget about March Madness, I cannot remember the last time I made a college regular season game any sort of DVR/ Must watch priority.

Now, the sport is sadly reduced to 3 weeks and the hope that those 3 weeks arent boring.
The game really needs fixing.

I love college basketball, but I am worried it is rapidly trending to a 2nd tier sport soon.

And frankly this tournament is boring as well.
If Kentucky wasn't undefeated, it would be suffering to draw in casual fans.
The UK chase for immortality will get good TV ratings which wiil disguise the serious issues.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean to tell me you guys don't love watching lay ups!? Blasphemy

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geno has to be kidding.

I just watched a bit of that women's championship game. That shit was brutal. I've never seen so many missed wide open layups in my life.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With so many one and dones, players are not developing the fundamentals, instead it is all one on one match ups and very little passing and working it. The longer you stay in college the more of a negative it is viewed as by the NBA.

But this doesn't explain the poor shooting. By the time they get to college, they should be able to shoot from everywhere.. not just from behind the arc. It's lack of good ol boring practice that is hurting the game.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any top High School boys team would blow his squad out and the Men's game is a joke?

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any top High School boys team would blow his squad out and the Men's game is a joke?

What do you mean by "Top"? The top high school boys team will have a few NBA players on it... so that statement isn't saying much.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you mean by "Top"? The top high school boys team will have a few NBA players on it... so that statement isn't saying much.
I'm not talking about Dematha or McDonalds All American team lol. Any team that was in the State semi's in Texas last year 3A and up would run them out of the gym