• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Geno Auriemma Criticizes Men's College Basketball; "It's a Joke!"

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"I don't coach it. I don't play it, so I don't understand the ins and outs of it. But as a spectator watching it, it's a joke. There's only like 10 teams, you know, out of 25, that actually play the kind of game of basketball that you'd like to watch."

Auriemma said he is speaking as a fan. And he doesn't like what he sees.

"The bottom line is, nobody can score," Auriemma said. "And they'll tell you that it's because of great defense, great scouting, a lot of teamwork. Nonsense, nonsense. College men's basketball is so far behind the times it's unbelievable."

I do agree with what he's saying. He's not advocating women's bball over men's basketball. He's just making an observation, and an observation that is justified.

Basketball players spend too much time these days trying to flop and get fouls that it's taking away from the game. A lot of players with hard-nosed reputations were before my time but when I watch NBA classic and see those games, I feel like I'm watching men play hard and fight for the win rather than trying to trick the refs. Basketball is getting soft these days.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With so many one and dones, players are not developing the fundamentals, instead it is all one on one match ups and very little passing and working it. The longer you stay in college the more of a negative it is viewed as by the NBA.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's hard to disagree with him.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With so many one and dones, players are not developing the fundamentals, instead it is all one on one match ups and very little passing and working it. The longer you stay in college the more of a negative it is viewed as by the NBA.

I get what you're saying, but blaming one-and-done (college) ball for a lack of fundamentals is like blaming colleges for not teaching kids how to read. They should know how to do that long before they ever set foot on campus. If the majority of your recruits are "project" players coming from Zambia and they've never seen a basketball before, that's one thing, but the lack of fundamentals from homegrown kids is mostly the fault of the AAU system.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess it's more fun watching UConn women pulverize all their opponents by 60 points with 'flawless basketball' because their opponents are far inferior?

To me, when two teams really get after it because they want it so bad, that's when it gets ugly. And good... :thumb:

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get what you're saying, but blaming one-and-done (college) ball for a lack of fundamentals is like blaming colleges for not teaching kids how to read. They should know how to do that long before they ever set foot on campus. If the majority of your recruits are "project" players coming from Zambia and they've never seen a basketball before, that's one thing, but the lack of fundamentals from homegrown kids is mostly the fault of the AAU system.
So in your opinion college coaches are the same as high school coaches? If you don't think that college coaches are better at the fundamentals and teaching kids how to use their teammates, who are more times than not significantly better than the high schoolers they were playing with the why are coaches paid millions? Just hire some high school coach for $100k and save $3mill. Many of these kids were the only great player on the court and just ball hogged it to the hoop. I think that Coach K or Calipari are better at coaching than some high school civics teacher.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've watched womens ball...it's like watching basketball in slow motion. You want to talk about lack of scoring, watch a game that isn't uconn.

Reactions: GNG

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do agree with what he's saying. He's not advocating women's bball over men's basketball. He's just making an observation, and an observation that is justified.

Basketball players spend too much time these days trying to flop and get fouls that it's taking away from the game. A lot of players with hard-nosed reputations were before my time but when I watch NBA classic and see those games, I feel like I'm watching men play hard and fight for the win rather than trying to trick the refs. Basketball is getting soft these days.
Geno is jealous that the majority of fans don't care about women's basketball.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've watched womens ball...it's like watching basketball in slow motion. You want to talk about lack of scoring, watch a game that isn't uconn.

Boring basketball indeed.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess it's more fun watching UConn women pulverize all their opponents by 60 points with 'flawless basketball' because their opponents are far inferior?

To me, when two teams really get after it because they want it so bad, that's when it gets ugly. And good... :thumb:

It is more fun!!

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of his criticism is spot on. There is a lot that the NCAA can do to make the games a heck of a lot more enjoyable to watch. A simple start would be to reduce that ridiculous 35 second shot clock down to about 28 seconds. That alone would speed the game up. Then add a 2 year commitment for all scholarship players like baseball does. You would see a lot better shooting & movement on offense with experienced players.

Where he gets it wrong is that you can't compare the the two sports. They are completely different animals. If Gino had to work in the same system that men's coaches did, he wouldn't fare any better.

Last edited:

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone please shove a basketball in Geno's mouth to shut him up. The women's game is so damn boring he's got no room to say anything.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone please shove a basketball in Geno's mouth to shut him up. The women's game is so damn boring he's got no room to say anything.

Because he hogs all the good talent every year.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So in your opinion college coaches are the same as high school coaches? If you don't think that college coaches are better at the fundamentals and teaching kids how to use their teammates, who are more times than not significantly better than the high schoolers they were playing with the why are coaches paid millions? Just hire some high school coach for $100k and save $3mill. Many of these kids were the only great player on the court and just ball hogged it to the hoop. I think that Coach K or Calipari are better at coaching than some high school civics teacher.

With all due respect, what the fuck are you talking about?!?

How the fuck did you get "High school coaches and college coaches are the same" out of what I wrote?

High School coaches and AAU coaches, (and jr. high coaches) should be the ones teaching fundamentals. You should already have that down BEFORE you ever set foot on campus. College coaches are paid more precisely BECAUSE they teach different things from high school coaches. They teach more ADVANCED things. Not more FUNDAMENTALIER things. They are building upon what those kids should already know, not just teaching tem the same concepts only better.

Do you even know what "fundamentals" means?

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's got nothing to be jealous about. He gets paid well, he wins championships and the arena is always full.
He probably wishes he was a men's basketball coach because nobody really cares about women's basketball unless you are a Connecticut fan.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because he hogs all the good talent every year.

Yep & he's a helluva HC. I just think he should have said nothing at all only because the men's & women's game are so different. Now maybe if had had coached men's hoops I might listen to what he has to say about this topic.

Reactions: GNG

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He probably wishes he was a men's basketball coach because nobody really cares about women's basketball unless you are a Connecticut fan.

It will never get to the point of the men's game but for the programs that are successful people do care. Do you think people in Waco don't care about the Baylor women's team?

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's got nothing to be jealous about. He gets paid well, he wins championships and the arena is always full.

ANNNNNNNNNNNNDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD:

i-get-older-they-stay-the-same-age.jpg