• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Generic playoff thread

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So i stop littering other post with my playoff rants lol. PS Crawford still sucks, Chicago is in trouble if they dont go with darling. Detroit series is interesting and it looks like Ken Hitchcock will be available when the blues get bounced in the first round due to poor goaltending.

Havent watched any of the other series but it doesnt look like anyone one team has great goaltending outside of the Rangers

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't wait until the Warriors are eliminated, then all these band wagoners can shut up.

Mr. Teal

Non-tipper
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the Islanders Caps game was pretty awesome.
Tavares was brilliant on that OT winner.

bdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't wait until the Warriors are eliminated, then all these band wagoners can shut up.

Agreed that band wagoners are annoying as shit but why do you want the Warriors to lose?? This is our team in the bay!

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally dont care for BasketBall as a sport. It doesn't interest me not one bit.

Mr. Teal

Non-tipper
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So people are now anti-Warrior because they're awesome while the Sharks missed the playoffs? That's some serious sour grapes.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Basketball sucks it's soccer with your hands

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is wrong with Evgeni Malkin? He and Crosby have turned into Thornton and Marleau. At least they got one cup out of them though. Malkin get moved in the off season?

I agree Hitchcock gets bounced if the Blues don't at least get to conference finals. The Blues are the one team more underachieving than the Sharks. This is Round 2 of underachievement for them. Round 1 was the Pronger/MacIniss days.

Same ole same ole in Nashville with their annual first round exit. Even with Webber they would lose. Chicago not going out in 1st rounds as long as Toews is Captain.

So much for the Hamburglar. We barely knew ye.

Nice to see Vancouver getting bounced. Calgary will make a run at the division next year. Fun team to watch. Doing so without Giordano too.

Watching Perry and Getzlaff I think back to the 2003 draft. Sharks take Michalek and Bernier before Anaheim selects Perry and Getzlaff. Aaaaaaaaaaaaargh. Who was GM then? Dougie or Lombardi?

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What is wrong with Evgeni Malkin? He and Crosby have turned into Thornton and Marleau. At least they got one cup out of them though. Malkin get moved in the off season?

I agree Hitchcock gets bounced if the Blues don't at least get to conference finals. The Blues are the one team more underachieving than the Sharks. This is Round 2 of underachievement for them. Round 1 was the Pronger/MacIniss days.

Same ole same ole in Nashville with their annual first round exit. Even with Webber they would lose. Chicago not going out in 1st rounds as long as Toews is Captain.

So much for the Hamburglar. We barely knew ye.

Nice to see Vancouver getting bounced. Calgary will make a run at the division next year. Fun team to watch. Doing so without Giordano too.

Watching Perry and Getzlaff I think back to the 2003 draft. Sharks take Michalek and Bernier before Anaheim selects Perry and Getzlaff. Aaaaaaaaaaaaargh. Who was GM then? Dougie or Lombardi?
Calgary won't be that good next season they won't be surprising anyone like they did this year, thier overall D is not very good.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think that 4 teams that made the playoffs probably did a huge detriment to their long term playoff/cup goals jets,sens,flames, and nucks. None of those teams are really in a transition year and none of them have a paticuarlly strong core group or depth. They all would've been better served missing the playoffs and drafting high especially in this years draft. I won't be shocked if all 3 of those teams went backwards kind of like Colorado.

I think the Sharks,Kings, Bruins, and boo jackets were better served missing the playoffs and all of those teams will be back in the po's next year

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Calgary won't be that good next season they won't be surprising anyone like they did this year, thier overall D is not very good.

I think Calgary will easily make the playoffs next year. They get Giordano back. That is a freebie that is not even there now and look what they are doing. Sharks D is worse than Calgarys. Vlasic and maybe Burns offensively. The rest is offensive and I include Braun who took a step backwards this year. Braun, Dillon, Irwin, Mueller...yikes. The others you might right on. I don't how Vancouver did it this year. Winnipeg too. Senators will be pretty good though. I see them getting better. Calgary/Ottawa playoff bound for sure.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade Nemo's rights to St.Louis or Nashville or Minnesota or Chicago or Philadelphia or Edmonton. Then steal someone from their roster with that trade.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think Calgary will easily make the playoffs next year. They get Giordano back. That is a freebie that is not even there now and look what they are doing. Sharks D is worse than Calgarys. Vlasic and maybe Burns offensively. The rest is offensive and I include Braun who took a step backwards this year. Braun, Dillon, Irwin, Mueller...yikes. The others you might right on. I don't how Vancouver did it this year. Winnipeg too. Senators will be pretty good though. I see them getting better. Calgary/Ottawa playoff bound for sure.
Outside of giordano can you even name a dman on thier roster lol, l don't think they are sneaking up on anyone next year they are still 3 players away from s consistent playoff appearance.

Braun spent a good majority of the season hurt so I wouldn't say he took a step back, not to mention how can you have Vlasic on the pp over Braun I'll never know. Irwin is a lot better then you give him credit for and would easily fall into the 2-3 spot in Calgary. Muller is a kid give him time he's going to be good

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outside of giordano can you even name a dman on thier roster lol, l don't think they are sneaking up on anyone next year they are still 3 players away from s consistent playoff appearance.

Braun spent a good majority of the season hurt so I wouldn't say he took a step back, not to mention how can you have Vlasic on the pp over Braun I'll never know. Irwin is a lot better then you give him credit for and would easily fall into the 2-3 spot in Calgary. Muller is a kid give him time he's going to be good

Calgary should be able to add some additions..at least 3. Not like they are going to have the same team. Dennis Wideman...so that is two I know - lol and he was very good. I never said Vlasic was to be on pp. He has minimal offensive skills. I meant he was a good legit defenseman. Braun was sucking before he got hurt. Irwin there is some hope there at least on the offensive end. We'll see. I don't see how the sharks get better with Marleau/Thornton aging fast and sucking up top minutes. Monahan and Gaudreau are on the way upside. It all depends on Hertl/Nieto. If they can net or near 20 each next year then we can compete with the Flames. Maybe Tierney can get 15 or so too. It will be close.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Calgary should be able to add some additions..at least 3. Not like they are going to have the same team. Dennis Wideman...so that is two I know - lol and he was very good. I never said Vlasic was to be on pp. He has minimal offensive skills. I meant he was a good legit defenseman. Braun was sucking before he got hurt. Irwin there is some hope there at least on the offensive end. We'll see. I don't see how the sharks get better with Marleau/Thornton aging fast and sucking up top minutes. Monahan and Gaudreau are on the way upside. It all depends on Hertl/Nieto. If they can net or near 20 each next year then we can compete with the Flames. Maybe Tierney can get 15 or so too. It will be close.
Wideman is at the end of the line. I like Monohan and Gaudreau. Gaudreau could be the next Theo Flurey. Thornton actually had reduced minutes this year below 20 a game, Marleau had slightly more, so they arent really sucking up the big minutes like you think outside of the PP. And i didnt say you said anything about Vlasic being on the PP i just questioned it.

Sharks get better with a heatlhy Hertl, probably a much better season out of Marleau. Hopefully a rebound season for Neito and continued development of Karlsson and Tierny. Biggest questions will be on any off season additions to the D team really needs a true #3 man Cody Fronson could be it. Then goaltending, UFA wise there just isnt anyone of note out there

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Wideman is at the end of the line. I like Monohan and Gaudreau. Gaudreau could be the next Theo Flurey. Thornton actually had reduced minutes this year below 20 a game, Marleau had slightly more, so they arent really sucking up the big minutes like you think outside of the PP. And i didnt say you said anything about Vlasic being on the PP i just questioned it.

Sharks get better with a heatlhy Hertl, probably a much better season out of Marleau. Hopefully a rebound season for Neito and continued development of Karlsson and Tierny. Biggest questions will be on any off season additions to the D team really needs a true #3 man Cody Fronson could be it. Then goaltending, UFA wise there just isnt anyone of note out there

The only way the sharks make the PO's next year is with some legit, big changes. A new coach is one thing, and even if the new coach comes in and is good, the roster is not a PO roster. The offense is average. IF PM and Jumbo dont decline further, and IF the sophomore slumps turn around, and IF Tierney and karlsson dont have a soph slump of their own, and IF there arent any big injuries, then MAYBE the offense will be middle of the pack.

The D sucks. Burns is improving defensively, but still aint great. Pickles and Braun are good defensively but nothing much offensively. Beyond that, they have no NHLers. IF Mueller has a giant leap forward, IF Irwin resigns and take a leap forward defensively, and IF Dillon figures out how to not completely suck, and IF they add two or three other solid NHL Dmen, then MAYBE their D will be average. and IF they find a good solid goalie or IF stalock has a monster year, then MAYBE their goaltending will be average.

Then there is the locker room. IF Jumbo and Dougie truly heal their rift (not nominally, but really), and IF Jumbo doesnt lash out at people, and IF they have a captain and a solid leadership crew in place, and IF the new coach fits in nicely and creates solid chemistry, then MAYBE they will be OK in the chemistry department.

basically, if the stars absolutely align, then MAYBE they can be a #7 or #8 seed equivalent. However, I could easily imagine a situation in which they play as they did in february for much of the year and find themselves in the bottom 10 again or even bottom 5.

The only way for them to compete sustainably is to accelerate the rebuild by moving the big ones. Other than that, I would invoke the great Einstein quote: "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."

Mr. Teal

Non-tipper
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just laughing about Ducks fans getting all PC and whining about sexism just because the Jets fans called Corey Perry, Katy Perry.

Personally I think women like Corey Perry have every right to play hockey at the NHL level.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only way the sharks make the PO's next year is with some legit, big changes. A new coach is one thing, and even if the new coach comes in and is good, the roster is not a PO roster. The offense is average. IF PM and Jumbo dont decline further, and IF the sophomore slumps turn around, and IF Tierney and karlsson dont have a soph slump of their own, and IF there arent any big injuries, then MAYBE the offense will be middle of the pack.

The D sucks. Burns is improving defensively, but still aint great. Pickles and Braun are good defensively but nothing much offensively. Beyond that, they have no NHLers. IF Mueller has a giant leap forward, IF Irwin resigns and take a leap forward defensively, and IF Dillon figures out how to not completely suck, and IF they add two or three other solid NHL Dmen, then MAYBE their D will be average. and IF they find a good solid goalie or IF stalock has a monster year, then MAYBE their goaltending will be average.

Then there is the locker room. IF Jumbo and Dougie truly heal their rift (not nominally, but really), and IF Jumbo doesnt lash out at people, and IF they have a captain and a solid leadership crew in place, and IF the new coach fits in nicely and creates solid chemistry, then MAYBE they will be OK in the chemistry department.

basically, if the stars absolutely align, then MAYBE they can be a #7 or #8 seed equivalent. However, I could easily imagine a situation in which they play as they did in february for much of the year and find themselves in the bottom 10 again or even bottom 5.

The only way for them to compete sustainably is to accelerate the rebuild by moving the big ones. Other than that, I would invoke the great Einstein quote: "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."
:frusty: thats a whole alot of IF's in that statment.