• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

GDT 10/14 STL @ SF. NLCS Game 1

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a former pitcher (albeit, not a good one), I'd argue that being unpredictable (at least at the MLB level) is the most important attribute a pitcher can have (even over electric stuff). I'd say it's way more important now than it ever has been. With all of the film, money/analysis, and ridiculous amounts of education at a teams/scouts fingertips, it's not hard to find patterns eventually whether it's with the pitchers themselves or the catchers preferences. If a novice like myself can pick up on a couple of Posey's tendencies, than I'm sure that a keen baseball mind can figure out a lot more. Keeping hitters off balance whether it's changing sight lines, speeds or mixing up first pitch/2 strike options is a huge thing.

Krukow said in the Reds series something to the effect that [paraphrased] "Phillips hadn't had an off-balance swing yet" (and it was in game 4 or 5 I believe when he said that). Obviously, a lot of that can just be a hitter being in the zone, but I think diligent homework could have been a big part of that too. Maybe that's what Timmay and Zeets are saying by going with Hector.....there may not be enough of a book on his tendencies yet.....without coming right out and saying "Posey needs to change up his pitching sequences". With Bum, Vogey and Cain, they still have pin point control/accuracy where the problems aren't exacerbated as much as with Zeets/Lince starting out with a couple walks here and there.

The good thing is that Posey seems to be a student of the game and a smart baseball mind in general. The good thing about having a "book" on oneself is that once it's brought to your attention, you can rewrite that "book" and turn a weakness into a strength. The bad news is, Posey either hasn't been told yet, or he knows it, but is too proud to change it. Or I could be all sorts of full of shit wrong on the entire subject. :heh:

This is all just spit-balling here, so take it with a basketball sized grain of salt.

I seem to remember we had the same complaints about Money. He would seem to never call for a curve-ball, and over-call the fastball. By most reports, Money and Buster are still rather close, so maybe Money's pitch calling techniques have rubbed off on Buster?

As you said, just spit-balling here.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Maybe some of that has to do with the fact that every person that has watched any baseball this year knows that Buster Posey is going to call for a high fastball in that scenario. MadBum was doing a great job of keeping the ball down until after that 0-2 base knock that he gave up to Yadier Molina. With nobody on, I very much prefer the curve ball in the dirt to the high fastball. I understand that changing sight lines during an at bat is important, but so is being unpredictable.

My thoughts exactly. tzill's alt personalities must be merging.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I seem to remember we had the same complaints about Money. He would seem to never call for a curve-ball, and over-call the fastball. By most reports, Money and Buster are still rather close, so maybe Money's pitch calling techniques have rubbed off on Buster?

As you said, just spit-balling here.

With Molina, he more often called a cutter/two-seamer on the inside part of the plate.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
As a former pitcher (albeit, not a good one), I'd argue that being unpredictable (at least at the MLB level) is the most important attribute a pitcher can have (even over electric stuff). I'd say it's way more important now than it ever has been. With all of the film, money/analysis, and ridiculous amounts of education at a teams/scouts fingertips, it's not hard to find patterns eventually whether it's with the pitchers themselves or the catchers preferences. If a novice like myself can pick up on a couple of Posey's tendencies, than I'm sure that a keen baseball mind can figure out a lot more. Keeping hitters off balance whether it's changing sight lines, speeds or mixing up first pitch/2 strike options is a huge thing.

Krukow said in the Reds series something to the effect that [paraphrased] "Phillips hadn't had an off-balance swing yet" (and it was in game 4 or 5 I believe when he said that). Obviously, a lot of that can just be a hitter being in the zone, but I think diligent homework could have been a big part of that too. Maybe that's what Timmay and Zeets are saying by going with Hector.....there may not be enough of a book on his tendencies yet.....without coming right out and saying "Posey needs to change up his pitching sequences". With Bum, Vogey and Cain, they still have pin point control/accuracy where the problems aren't exacerbated as much as with Zeets/Lince starting out with a couple walks here and there.

The good thing is that Posey seems to be a student of the game and a smart baseball mind in general. The good thing about having a "book" on oneself is that once it's brought to your attention, you can rewrite that "book" and turn a weakness into a strength. The bad news is, Posey either hasn't been told yet, or he knows it, but is too proud to change it. Or I could be all sorts of full of shit wrong on the entire subject. :heh:

This is all just spit-balling here, so take it with a basketball sized grain of salt.

The biggest mistake on that 0-2 call was Posey positioned his glove at the top of the zone, instead of above it. Bum missed the middle of the glove by about an inch low. Four-seamer in the middle of the plate, at the top of the zone is just a plain stupid call. I'll post a gif of that at some point. But here is the pitch fx plot of that AB:

numlocation.php

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
My thoughts exactly. tzill's alt personalities must be merging.

Although let me add, that I see way too many consecutive pitches coming in at the same speed when Buster is catching.

grayghost668

Gun Control,,,,not likely
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just saw the play at 2nd base I'm glad the guy is alright that was a dirty play in my eyes

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The biggest mistake on that 0-2 call was Posey positioned his glove at the top of the zone, instead of above it. Bum missed the middle of the glove by about an inch low. Four-seamer in the middle of the plate, at the top of the zone is just a plain stupid call. I'll post a gif of that at some point. But here is the pitch fx plot of that AB:

numlocation.php

Gif of Posey's horrible 0-2 call and location:

Posey_Target.gif