• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Future of Legends numbers

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I recently had this thought, with Gardner now honoring Tom Harmon's #98, all previously retired jersey's have been "un-retired." The question then becomes, "now what?" What's the next number/player to get that privilege? To my knowledge no other big names wore #2, so that's probably a good choice for Woodson, but then are there any candidates after that? (it's probably too soon, but all things considered #16 for Denard might be a good choice) Furthermore, if a player wears a legends jersey, but then has a career worthy of legend's recognition, then what? Do they just pick a number for them, or do since they probably had a jersey number before they got to wear the legends jersey? Say if Shane Morris turns into something really special and after Gardner he gets old 98, then Morris' legends number would be #7.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's what I'm wondering, if you're always taking the best players and giving them legends jerseys how does anyone ever become a legend in the future? If Gardner wins the Heisman this year (purely hypothetical of course) his number would be 98 which is already a legends jersey that was made famous by some other player. Under these new rules we'd never have a famous #2 Woodson or a famous #1. Woodson would probably be 11, or something like that, and Edwards/Carter would have been 21 - like Gallon.