• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Agents 2021

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being reported that Richard Sherman's free agency is moving in "slow motion." I.e., he's not getting the offers he expected. If he's not signed within the next week or so, that makes me wonder if we could bring him back on the cheap (assuming the FO wants him).

Witherspoon signed in Seattle. It's a 1 year deal. Seattle is desperate at CB b/c they lost 2 in FA, including their best, Griffin, to the Jags. The one year deal makes our signing of Verrett's one year deal look all that much better. Verrett played pretty well last season, while Spoon was a healthy scratch in at least one game (or was it 2?).

WR AJ Green is signing in AZ. Alongside Hopkins at WR, they're gonna be a force this year if they can protect Murray.
I don't think the FO wants Sherman back. He slowed last year and I think injuries and age really crept up on him last year. Witherspoon is shaky. He can play like a pro bowler one minute and look horrible the next. With Witherspoon it has been mental. He lacks confidence. When things are going well and is in the right mind he seems to play really well but a bad game and he goes into a funk and cant cover anyone. Verrrett was a great signing. Really wanted that one

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how to view this Mack signing? It is good for one year no doubt but what happens past that? I was thinking we'd sign a top Center prospect now because there appears to be 2-3 very good ones. We could see a very good Center drop to maybe even the late 3rd round? This way we have a starting Center 'long term'.
I think Mack is good for more than one year. I can easily see him playing for two to three years

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Obviously i'm biased, but do like the Free Agent moves to date. Didn't think we could fit TW but this article explains how more cap was obtained. We need all of these guys to perform but seems to me Mack's performance is key.

This frees up the 12th pick by not NEEDING to go LT. I hope there's an Edge worth the 12th, else no problem with a CB.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Obviously i'm biased, but do like the Free Agent moves to date. Didn't think we could fit TW but this article explains how more cap was obtained. We need all of these guys to perform but seems to me Mack's performance is key.

This frees up the 12th pick by not NEEDING to go LT. I hope there's an Edge worth the 12th, else no problem with a CB.

The moves they've made opens them up to take the best player available but they do need depth in the Secondary, Edge, and back up QB.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 49ers have resigned Tartt to a one year deal. They also signed safety Tavon Wilson.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The moves they've made opens them up to take the best player available but they do need depth in the Secondary, Edge, and back up QB.

Yep, draft the best player even if he doesn't fill one of these spots.

I'm typically not for trading down but a small one is ok too.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, draft the best player even if he doesn't fill one of these spots.

I'm typically not for trading down but a small one is ok too.
I'm even okay with it being a QB. Because history shows Garoppolo won't stay healthy for the White season and this team is too good to let his injuries derail the season.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm even okay with it being a QB. Because history shows Garoppolo won't stay healthy for the White season and this team is too good to let his injuries derail the season.
Agreed, if they identify a QB as the highest value at 12th, draft him. It doesn't need to be related to JG, you'd draft this QB on his own talent and projections.

It may or may not be the common QB names we've been accustomed to reading, but thats ok too.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, if they identify a QB as the highest value at 12th, draft him. It doesn't need to be related to JG, you'd draft this QB on his own talent and projections.

It may or may not be the common QB names we've been accustomed to reading, but thats ok too.

I think the only two that they have a shot at picking at 12 are likely Lance and Jones.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 49ers have resigned CB K'Waun Williams to a one year deal.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think the only two that they have a shot at picking at 12 are likely Lance and Jones.
Yes, the odds of getting one of the top five QB's are small and i'm not one for a trade into the top 5. I'm not even sure i'd want to trade up into the top 10, i don't like trading away future 1st rounders.

I think its too hard to draft Lance even if he somehow falls? This team is built to win now and Lance's experience is too far back? Any rookie would have a hard time but Lance's background seems like he won't be ready (mentally) even in year 2? Shannahan's scheme has motion on every play, so seems there would be an extra learning curve?

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, the odds of getting one of the top five QB's are small and i'm not one for a trade into the top 5. I'm not even sure i'd want to trade up into the top 10, i don't like trading away future 1st rounders.

I think its too hard to draft Lance even if he somehow falls? This team is built to win now and Lance's experience is too far back? Any rookie would have a hard time but Lance's background seems like he won't be ready (mentally) even in year 2? Shannahan's scheme has motion on every play, so seems there would be an extra learning curve?
I'm not sure they trade Garopolo even if they take a QB at 12 at least not until the 2022 season.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm not sure they trade Garopolo even if they take a QB at 12 at least not until the 2022 season.
Agreed for 2021, but seems to me Lance won't even be ready to start in the 2022 season? We can't afford to wait two years before Lance is ready, assuming he can even get ready? I get wary when a QB prospect is only touted for his physically abilities?

Admittedly, didn't read a LOT of draft stuff on Lance, but he doesn't have much starting experience? Not to mention at a small school where you can't get a feel for his intangibles? You get a feel for players who play tough teams week to week, and bowl games, like Tua and Deshaun Watson did.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed for 2021, but seems to me Lance won't even be ready to start in the 2022 season? We can't afford to wait two years before Lance is ready, assuming he can even get ready? I get wary when a QB prospect is only touted for his physically abilities?

Admittedly, didn't read a LOT of draft stuff on Lance, but he doesn't have much starting experience? Not to mention at a small school where you can't get a feel for his intangibles? You get a feel for players who play tough teams week to week, and bowl games, like Tua and Deshaun Watson did.
If he isn't ready to start after sitting a year than he probably isn't the right guy.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

After reading thru this list, rather they go with whom they have. Bring in a few UDFA's to learn the system but basically go with what we have now.

If injuries 'pile up' at WR during the season, you bring back one or more of the cuts. At very least they had a headstart on knowing the scheme.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Richard Sherman said he was "ecstatic" about the idea of returning to the Niners. That sounds like a man who didn't find much of a market for his services. If he did come back, he'd have to take a much smaller deal than he got last time. Even so, I got the impression that the coaches might not want him back.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Richard Sherman said he was "ecstatic" about the idea of returning to the Niners. That sounds like a man who didn't find much of a market for his services. If he did come back, he'd have to take a much smaller deal than he got last time. Even so, I got the impression that the coaches might not want him back.
The guy needs to make the move into the studio. He's two steps too slow

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
At this point, better to go with who you have now, get all these new guys more reps in the scheme.

CB is a position that suffers injuries more than most, so we'll likely need FA's during the season. If he's still available then..................

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

No to Julio Jones, we have our own FA's to sign and they won't be cheap. I'd rather pay Warner $11.5M/year than Julio Jones. Then there is Bosa who'll command much more than Warner. I know you have another year before Bosa kicks in but still, you need to plan for it now. You can carry over excess cap space so that is part of the planning.

Julio Jones' contract is for another 3 years, do we want to get stuck with dead money?

In the larger picture, this is why you avoid signing your old vets long term. At the time it looks good, but 2 or 3 years into a 5 year extension, you have a LOT of dead money. It hurts to trade away your players but when they get old by NFL standards, a year early is better than a year too late.