• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fox Article on M's

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THE SEATTLE MIRAGE?

During spring training, a scout told me that he could not understand all of the hype about the Mariners. The scout had a number of concerns about the team, many of which — at least so far — have proven valid.

● Catcher Mike Zunino struggled to hit anything but inside fastballs (Zunino is batting .143 overall with a .518 OPS).

● First baseman Logan Morrison could not be trusted to produce (Morrison is batting .218 with a .617 OPS).

● Right-hander Hisashi Iwakuma was "always hurt" (Iwakuma is on the DL with a right lat strain).

● Righty Taijuan Walker and lefty James Paxton were young pitchers who had yet to complete full major-league seasons (the two have a combined 7.11 ERA in 49 1/3 innings).

● The bullpen could not repeat its performance from last season, when it led the AL with a 2.59 ERA (it currently ranks eighth with a 3.71 ERA).

● Shortstop Brad Miller was a questionable defender (the Mariners, according to the Tacoma News-Tribune, are on the verge of promoting Chris Taylor, who presumably will get most of the time at short).

To all of those issues I will add another: The Mariners remain imbalanced offensively. While Nelson Cruz leads the majors with 13 homers, the team's other right-handed hitters all have on-base/slugging percentages of .664 or below.

As one rival evaluator put it, "They need a right-handed bat other than Cruz, or they will be held in check by left-handed pitching."

Actually, the Mariners are struggling against all kinds of pitching, in part because Robinson Cano is batting just .255 with a .669 OPS. The team is 3-4 in games started by lefties, 7-11 in games started by righties.

--------------------------

I didn't write this article, but it is just about everything I said (not the only one) in the offseason.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All a lot of what several of us were saying on here even before spring training.

I like the succinct way the scout talked about Walker and Paxton. Will they be good MLB pitchers? Probably. Will they get their shit together in their sophomore season? Completely different question. And that's 40% of games we're talking about.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you have a team built on this many question marks or "gee I hope he stays healthy," bad stuff will likely happen. The issue is why are there this many question marks in year 7 of a regime.