• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Four Seasons Loco Coffee and Total Landscaping Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

mooger_35

my hatred for MY team clouds my judgement
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are looking at a registered breeder to get a Newfoundland (fucking hard to find!) but will get a rescue for our next dog. Just didn't want to deal with potential issues with young kids.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ive been monitoring the bc spca website for a year now and it just always seems to be mastiffs great danes german shepherds and boxers with health/behaviour issues that were not in the market to deal with as first time (in a long time) pet owners. My wife had a boxer as a kid and we have a family friend who had one so the kids wanted one. But we reckon its just too big for us. So our focus has been the boxers midget cousin, the boston terrier lol

we cant find a cheap one from a reputable source :noidea:
I’ve always had luck with rescue sites that are breed specific...have you tried these?

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’ve always had luck with rescue sites that are breed specific...have you tried these?

Yah my wife has used both and i think she posted one of the “wanted” ads in your kijiji link lol

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yah my wife has used both and i think she posted one of the “wanted” ads in your kijiji link lol
Another thing I’ve done is ask the SPCA types for their recommendations on sp3cific breed rescue sites. They usually know the ones worth checking out. Or a vet.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bet. I probably don't want to get too close to any kind of food processing plant. Alpo, Dinty Moore, etc

I've always had rescues or strays and that works for me because besides a few breeds/kinds I never really cared what kind I had. I basically just want something medium-sized or slightly larger that I can take on a hike. Also hopefully a cute one, one that the women at a local park would want to walk over and see.

If I ever wanted a specific breed than I wouldn't mind buying one.
I always get shelter or rescue dogs. Medium to large size. My current one is my "special ed" rescue...I call her a Lesser Pyrenees! didn't know what I was getting into because she melted my heart when I met her.

Learned she was found hit by a car north of Austin, Tx. Taken to the vet. mended and sent to the PNW for rescue. If an unlicensed, unclaimed dog is not picked up by it's owners in 72 hours...they euthanize. Fucking Texas...

Anyway, found out she had heartworm and went thru a year long treatment with her drugged up and slowly killing the worms...Came with a dead eye and a 3 toed back paw! She's a goof and the sweetest. Love her dearly and her personality is finally showing after all the meds she went thru to get her cleared of heartworm.

Good times...

Please, keep up with vaccinations, and test/treat your dog with preventative's for heartworm....

Sincerely, Bob Barker

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always get shelter or rescue dogs. Medium to large size. My current one is my "special ed" rescue...I call her a Lesser Pyrenees! didn't know what I was getting into because she melted my heart when I met her.

Learned she was found hit by a car north of Austin, Tx. Taken to the vet. mended and sent to the PNW for rescue. If an unlicensed, unclaimed dog is not picked up by it's owners in 72 hours...they euthanize. Fucking Texas...

Anyway, found out she had heartworm and went thru a year long treatment with her drugged up and slowly killing the worms...Came with a dead eye and a 3 toed back paw! She's a goof and the sweetest. Love her dearly and her personality is finally showing after all the meds she went thru to get her cleared of heartworm.

Good times...

Please, keep up with vaccinations, and test/treat your dog with preventative's for heartworm....

Sincerely, Bob Barker
Is that her in your avi?

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are looking at a registered breeder to get a Newfoundland (fucking hard to find!) but will get a rescue for our next dog. Just didn't want to deal with potential issues with young kids.
I suggest you call a breeder when you find one...Tell them your desire for a great family pet and how you and your kids value a dog, but want to know if it's a good fit for your life style. You may get a line on one she has at low or no cost...

I called a Samoyed breeder when my kids were young and asked how they were as a family dog...the lady was excellent. However, we went on vacation and when we got back, we ended up getting a Chow-sapeake puppy before it went to the pound. But the funny thing was, the breeder called us back a few weeks later and offered us a fully trained Samoyed she wanted to go to a good home...free.

Chow-sepeakes should be a breed. Damn dog was like a bear. Smart, loyal, fun and protective of the kids. Brilliant dog. Scared the shit out of people because he looked like a brown bear!

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couple real big problems with the give-pets-self-determination angle.

1. Pets are bred to be pets. They're genetically designed to cohabitate with humans, to depend on them for certain needs. If they are set free, many will fail, and many others will cause problem 2.

2. Released pets are invasive species. This is well-documented with cats, who will kill not only for food, but as displays of power. They can absolutely wreck a local ecosystem.

You can't just suddenly release pets. They have to be given a dedicated habitat or euthanized. There's no in-between.

Mapping unethical behaviors in the pet industry onto the idea of keeping pets in the first place is likewise remarkably reductive. There need to be dramatic, significant shifts in the way breeding is done and food is prepared, and so on, but my cat purring on my lap is not one of the things that's unethical.

It's the same stupidity underpinning the "veganism is the only ethical diet" arguments. Pushing veganism for all is dismissive of peoples for whom ethical meat consumption has cultural significance, and it ignores the ethical and environmental failures which plague plant protein growth because all of capitalistic agriculture is unethical--be it from a labor rights perspective or one of land and natural resource use.

Likewise, telling people pet ownership is unethical because there are bad pet owners and problems with breeding and pet food production, necessarily ignores the ethical questions of how you would end pet ownership. The survivability of the species being released, the effect of introducing a foreign predator to an ecosystem, etc. And the apparent argument against spay/neuter early in the article is especially absurd, since domestic pets breeding uncontrolled leads to a lot of animal suffering. My old roommate fosters kittens who were found on the street, abandoned by their mother. They have a real struggle to survive, and it's painful for them when they lose that struggle. Fostering and caring for them with a vision toward finding them loving forever homes is the only possible positive outcome for these animals.

TL;DR: Pets are good, actually, we have fostered a multi-generational collaboration with them as a matter of their genetics, and demanding the end of all pet ownership because elements of it are unethical itself falls victim to ethical tunnel vision and will lead to a new failure of ethics.

The article sort of acknowledges this at the end, but in passing, without detail, and after all the bad arguments are made without context.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I advocate the end of breeding, or at least the end of purebred breeding. At least a significant halt on it, forcing pet ownership more completely toward rescues. At least until such time as strays are drastically diminished, and supply and demand for pets match better. Purebreds are torture, though. Mixed genetics are necessary for the species to remain healthy.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I advocate the end of breeding, or at least the end of purebred breeding. At least a significant halt on it, forcing pet ownership more completely toward rescues. At least until such time as strays are drastically diminished, and supply and demand for pets match better. Purebreds are torture, though. Mixed genetics are necessary for the species to remain healthy.
Are strays still an issue down south? Or in other Canadian cities, Canucks here? I honestly can't remember the last time I saw a stray animal.

Even in Europe, it was very common to see stray dogs all over the place twenty years ago. Can't say I've encountered one there in any of my trips the last ten years.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree for the most part. Responsible breeding does exist and there are reasons that remain for some of that, particularly in the working, bird, guard and watchdog arenas. Responsible and humane being key.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are strays still an issue down south? Or in other Canadian cities, Canucks here? I honestly can't remember the last time I saw a stray animal.

Even in Europe, it was very common to see stray dogs all over the place twenty years ago. Can't say I've encountered one there in any of my trips the last ten years.
Tons in Asia and so called 3rd world nations. Def an issue in the USA.

mooger_35

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suggest you call a breeder when you find one...Tell them your desire for a great family pet and how you and your kids value a dog, but want to know if it's a good fit for your life style. You may get a line on one she has at low or no cost...

I called a Samoyed breeder when my kids were young and asked how they were as a family dog...the lady was excellent. However, we went on vacation and when we got back, we ended up getting a Chow-sapeake puppy before it went to the pound. But the funny thing was, the breeder called us back a few weeks later and offered us a fully trained Samoyed she wanted to go to a good home...free.

Chow-sepeakes should be a breed. Damn dog was like a bear. Smart, loyal, fun and protective of the kids. Brilliant dog. Scared the shit out of people because he looked like a brown bear!

Thanks. I have been in touch with a Newfie breeder already. We are on a waiting list for a puppy (she only breeds once per year) and we have also said we'd love to get a yearling when/if available to help speed up the process (and to avoid house breaking). Every other breeder I tried didn't respond and there aren't that many in BC.

We have 2 Newfies in our extended family so we know what we are getting and couldn't be happier to get one of these mountains of love.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
We have 2 Newfies in our extended family so we know what we are getting and couldn't be happier to get one of these mountains of love.
you had better train your kids early that they are responsible for picking up the mountains of love that the dogs leave.

mooger_35

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have experienced this. About the size of your dog.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It might just be because I'm immersed in it, but it seems like a significant problem in Tucson. I'm especially aware of it with cats. There are a lot of strays that hang out in my complex, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.