• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Four players who definitely won't be back next year

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jackson is a decent fit, just not in the lead off spot. He should be batting in the bottom third of the lineup, imo.

Problem is 90% of our lineup should be hitting in the bottom 3rd. We just have enough room in those 3 spots to put 6 guys there. So instead of hiding a guy down there, maybe improve the position and get a hitter or 3 that belongs in the top 6 spots. Jackson's defense is good, but not good enough to make up for his hitting, or lack there of. We need guys who can make more contact and it is time to rid ourselves of the K machines. If we wanted Jackson, then we should have kept Almonte for far less because there really isn't much difference in the two during their times as a Mariner.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem is 90% of our lineup should be hitting in the bottom 3rd. We just have enough room in those 3 spots to put 6 guys there. So instead of hiding a guy down there, maybe improve the position and get a hitter or 3 that belongs in the top 6 spots. Jackson's defense is good, but not good enough to make up for his hitting, or lack there of. We need guys who can make more contact and it is time to rid ourselves of the K machines. If we wanted Jackson, then we should have kept Almonte for far less because there really isn't much difference in the two during their times as a Mariner.

Can't argue with any of that.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Or just kept Jones out there, he might have been ready but I don't remember having to turn the channel when he came up to bat in a crucial situation because I knew the outcome.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or just kept Jones out there, he might have been ready but I don't remember having to turn the channel when he came up to bat in a crucial situation because I knew the outcome.

Jones does need to work on his defense this off season. Too many bad gambles out in CF. He also need to stop trying to just make contact. It doesn't work for him. No fly balls, but he needs to start trying to put a little mustard on his hits. Hard grounders the other way and some lines drives would make him scary.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree those are the best but unfortunately we have been waiting on Ackley and Saunders for years now. I really do love Saunders game and I think he would be our best leadoff option if he could ever stay healthy. Not that Lloyd seems to like Saunders anyway. Ackley, I want to believe turned a corner and dropped off in September because of the injury but I just cant trust him

Thing about Ackley is we can keep him long term for a good price... I get the feeling he might blossom... I know it's taken a while but he's shown some stuff this year...

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mind keeping Ackley as long as it is as a 4th OF and IF he plays like he did for that hot month he can reclaim his everyday spot. If he doesn't, then he is an adequate 4th OF who can play some 1B and 2B when needed.

BSUSeahawk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saunders is our best outfielder, and I wouldn't be surprised if he was the only one NOT brought back. Lloyd seems to not like him, for whatever reason.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saunders is our best outfielder, and I wouldn't be surprised if he was the only one NOT brought back. Lloyd seems to not like him, for whatever reason.

Agree 100%. It goes back to his lefty-righty BS. Even back in April he was barely playing and only started playing once Lomo got hurt. When it comes to offensive ability he is no question at least a top 5 bat on this team and maybe even a Top 3, so on an offensively challenged team it makes no sense to sit him. But Lloyd knows best I guess.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jones does need to work on his defense this off season. Too many bad gambles out in CF. He also need to stop trying to just make contact. It doesn't work for him. No fly balls, but he needs to start trying to put a little mustard on his hits. Hard grounders the other way and some lines drives would make him scary.

Jones has a ton of work without question, just I really don't think there would have been that big of a difference with him and Jackson with how Jackson played for the M's.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree 100%. It goes back to his lefty-righty BS. Even back in April he was barely playing and only started playing once Lomo got hurt. When it comes to offensive ability he is no question at least a top 5 bat on this team and maybe even a Top 3, so on an offensively challenged team it makes no sense to sit him. But Lloyd knows best I guess.

I think there might be something with him but Lloyd's excuse for the beginning of the year was that Saunders plays too hard and was saving the tear on his body, which obviously didn't work. Coming into the season he needs to be an everyday player and if he gets hurt again, he gets hurt again. Seems weird that an old school guy like Lloyd (at least his public excuse) has to do with fear over putting the best team on the field.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jones has a ton of work without question, just I really don't think there would have been that big of a difference with him and Jackson with how Jackson played for the M's.

Agreed.

I also don't understand why Lloyd doesn't like Saunders. It started down here in spring training and I never understood it. I actually posted that I thought they would trade him at start of year based on the comments Lloyd was making. SMH on that one. Saunders is the most athletic package we have. He just gets hurt, but oh well, play him until he does. Its not like his replacements are better.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed.

I also don't understand why Lloyd doesn't like Saunders. It started down here in spring training and I never understood it. I actually posted that I thought they would trade him at start of year based on the comments Lloyd was making. SMH on that one. Saunders is the most athletic package we have. He just gets hurt, but oh well, play him until he does. Its not like his replacements are better.

I truly think Saunders primary problem is his body. In the offseason it always seems like he has a certain goal and it usually pertains to hitting, stealing, throwing etc.

Seems like to me, that there is some in house bickering because from reports Saunders hires people outside of the organization to help him, which I can understand if true since they don't do crap in development. Just the two examples, Saunders sucks so he goes and hires someone outside the organization then comes back and has a, at least semi, productive season a few years ago. Smoak sucks, so he keeps getting sent down or works with mechanics with the Mariners staff and still sucks. Adam Jones tried learning how to play CF with the Mariners and sucked at it, goes to Baltimore and becomes a gold glover.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe true. I know he hired the brother of a former M's catcher as a hitting coach and it did work as you said. You would think they would applaud that....but again we are the M's.

BSUSeahawk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And Saunders hits lefties better than most righties on the team do.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
M's RHB v. LHP: .233/.288/.333
M's LHB v. LHP: .253/.300/.351

It's hard using those numbers because there are single A players who wouldn't look as lost up at the plate as Hart and Smoak did.