• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Former Agent Paid Honeycutt UCLA

CoolStoryBro

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spurned agent alleges he paid Tyler Honeycutt at UCLA - SBNation.com

"Most people I sit down with, who ask me how it really is, I tell them it's 10 times worse than you read," Lookofsky said. "Truly. Everybody wants something. Nobody introduces you to a player, a potential player, college player, high school player, for free, out of the kindness of their heart. Nobody. There's an understanding from the time you make contact that it's going to cost you something."

^ The most interesting paragraph for sure.

I guess we all know it, deep down.

CoolStoryBro

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol I am surprised at the lack of interest.

He payed Honeycutt 56k, his mothers rent, rental cars, away game transportation, a dodge magnum all kitted out, and he's got all the receipts to prove it.

This shits nuts.

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Must be a Cali thing.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you don't believe that this happens on some level at nearly every major D-I college with any type of NBA prospect, you are deluding yourself.

Some type of cheating, skirting the rules, etc..etc...goes on at every level, at every college in some form. Period.

963BUSC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you don't believe that this happens on some level at nearly every major D-I college with any type of NBA prospect, you are deluding yourself.

Some type of cheating, skirting the rules, etc..etc...goes on at every level, at every college in some form. Period.

Not at UCLA though, their program is pure as the driven snow, saints one and all. Surely Honeycutt has been falsely accused and is eager to come in and clear his name.

CoolStoryBro

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree, but it's nice when you see the evidence. I can't imagine the dealings going on in totality, it is certainly extensive.

58k and the dude got shafted lol, probably why he told, as someone else said, crybaby.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, but it's nice when you see the evidence. I can't imagine the dealings going on in totality, it is certainly extensive.

58k and the dude got shafted lol, probably why he told, as someone else said, crybaby.

The thing I find most interesting about this is that it's pretty damning as far as agent/player relationships, yet the thing everyone always points to is programs/coaches as being dirty. From what I read in that article, Howland/UCLA had no knowledge of what was going on, and reported it the moment they found out.

No doubt people will end up talking about how dirty Howland/UCLA were a few years down the road, because trivial details (also known as relevant facts) don't mean much to people these days.

CoolStoryBro

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing I find most interesting about this is that it's pretty damning as far as agent/player relationships, yet the thing everyone always points to is programs/coaches as being dirty. From what I read in that article, Howland/UCLA had no knowledge of what was going on, and reported it the moment they found out.

No doubt people will end up talking about how dirty Howland/UCLA were a few years down the road, because trivial details (also known as relevant facts) don't mean much to people these days.

Absolutely.

Which leads to why penalties should not be imposed by the NCAA to a school who was never involved and especially as soon as they found out they reported it.

Your right, if it's associated with a school, some people will blame the school rather than the player and agent who obviously were the only two involved.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely.

Which leads to why penalties should not be imposed by the NCAA to a school who was never involved and especially as soon as they found out they reported it.

Your right, if it's associated with a school, some people will blame the school rather than the player and agent who obviously were the only two involved.

There's a problem with that too. (I mentioned it in another thread) The schools should absolutely have to vacate any wins involving the "tainted" players. That's how the world works. If we're in a store and I hide a candy bar in your pocket, (unbeknownst to you) and we get caught later, You're not really guilty of a crime so much as an unwitting accomplice. So you're probably not going to have to go to jail or pay a fine. But you still have to give that candy bar back. That's what vacating a win is... giving back you're ill-gotten goods.

And there-in lies the rub. To be fair to the other teams that *didn't* use ineligible players, you pretty much have to vacate the wins (except in the Myron Piggie case for some reason the NCAA has yet to explain) but as soon as someone sees vacated wins they immediately assume that the coach/program cheated, when that isn't necessarily the case.

CoolStoryBro

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a problem with that too. (I mentioned it in another thread) The schools should absolutely have to vacate any wins involving the "tainted" players. That's how the world works. If we're in a store and I hide a candy bar in your pocket, (unbeknownst to you) and we get caught later, You're not really guilty of a crime so much as an unwitting accomplice. So you're probably not going to have to go to jail or pay a fine. But you still have to give that candy bar back. That's what vacating a win is... giving back you're ill-gotten goods.

And there-in lies the rub. To be fair to the other teams that *didn't* use ineligible players, you pretty much have to vacate the wins (except in the Myron Piggie case for some reason the NCAA has yet to explain) but as soon as someone sees vacated wins they immediately assume that the coach/program cheated, when that isn't necessarily the case.

I do see that logic. Cuse took out Fab Melo for Ineligibility and it'd be unfair if other schools didn't do the same with the knowledge of that player being ineligible. I understand that logic being used for academic issues, and other issues involved with the schools recruiting of that player.

I do have an issue for when years later it is found out that the player had an unprofessional relationship with an agent. And that because of that relationship the wins must be vacated. I feel that is unfair to the school and the other players on the team, but yes it is also unfair to every other team, which certainly outweighs anything.

It is even more unfair that a lot of kids do this and only a select few get caught.

I guess I can see vacated wins of that season, but I don't support further sanctions with respect to the next season of basketball for that school if that player was not there. That is absolutely unfair to the current scholarship players and coach who were never involved in the first place.

Loneranger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I believe this part of the discussion. I don't think it's reasonable to expect a coach to know who these kids are dealing with. Most have been dealing with these dirtbags before they show up to college. Not to say coaches never know or don't suspect but to say the KNOW this is happening is a stretch IMO. One thing is for sure - this is happening everywhere everyday no exceptions and everyone in the game knows it. Some just happen to be better at it than others.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wish the nfl and nba would have a zero tolerance policy on agents. the moment they are caught paying athletes they are barred from being an agent