• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Flyfishing Fans

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No swimming but a lot of wading. Water was at August type temps and flow. Caught a few nice trout, largest 19 1/2" Making plans for a return trip next year

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what type of tippet(?) should I use for catching crappie and bream with a small floating fly? I don't know what kind of fly it is either. I'm completely ignorant when it comes to fly fishing. I have a rod with line on it and a small assortment (6-8) of flies. I had been using monofilament between my main line and the fly, but my uncle said I should change it. I just don't know where to start. And I don't know anyone here that fly fishes, at least not anyone with any "real" knowledge. I know some ol rednecks that do about what I do and "wing" it, but I'm looking to get better at this thing.

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what type of tippet(?) should I use for catching crappie and bream with a small floating fly? I don't know what kind of fly it is either. I'm completely ignorant when it comes to fly fishing. I have a rod with line on it and a small assortment (6-8) of flies. I had been using monofilament between my main line and the fly, but my uncle said I should change it. I just don't know where to start. And I don't know anyone here that fly fishes, at least not anyone with any "real" knowledge. I know some ol rednecks that do about what I do and "wing" it, but I'm looking to get better at this thing.

When you are fishing crappie and bream, the strength of the line doesn't matter. You are just saving your leader from breaking off. I have old end spools of 4 lb Spiderwire that I use for that. As you get into bigger fish like bass and trout, then true tippet line heavier than your leader should be used. #5 is 5 lb test, #4 is 7.5 lb test

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had a guy down at the bait and tackle shop hook me up with some leader and 8lb mono. I'm having a pretty good time with the redbreast on this thing. I still suck at casting it though. I get a little better each time out, at least I think I do. It's just hard to find enough space to cast the damn thing. It is fun though.

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had a guy down at the bait and tackle shop hook me up with some leader and 8lb mono. I'm having a pretty good time with the redbreast on this thing. I still suck at casting it though. I get a little better each time out, at least I think I do. It's just hard to find enough space to cast the damn thing. It is fun though.

One of the guys I fished with on vacation is a 73 year old guide and casting coach. He told me that if I ever make a perfect cast, I'll have one more than him. Just have fun and practice.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got out last night on the Housatonic in NW CT.

Caught a tremendous rise right at dusk. It was a large light colored mayfly hatch and the trout were gorging themselves. Tied on a pretty large...maybe a #14 or #16 light cahill parachute fly. They were rising right beside my boots so no need for any careful or elegant casting. It just took playing the odds as there were so many naturals it was crazy. Any square foot contained at least a half dozen naturals.

FINALLY! After 20 minutes of just dropping the fly in front of me a scrappy 13inch brown lost the odds game.

My buddy got two rainbows under the surface earlier but that last minute hatch was just a frantic time!

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So how do you combat the wind? If I'm casting from the dock, I have to cast with the wind if I want to get any distance, other wise the wind just knocks the fly down short of my target area.

I'm looking at getting one of those kayaks to get around on. I tried wading, but to get the fly where I wanted it, I had to be in chest deep water and I couldn't cast with the water that deep. I thought about borrowing the neighbors paddle boat, but that thing is sooooo LOUD, that I decided against it.

Anyway, just some random thoughts after my first couple weeks with a fly rod in my hand.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It depends upon many factors.

First thing is a properly constructed leader for the situation. It should taper from a fairly stout leader at the fly line down to the fly. They make tapered leaders but I prefer to construct my own. Do you know how to tie a blood knot? This is essential to constructing a leader. Mine for trout typically go from 4x down to 6x or 7x. If I'm tossing a weighted nymph though, I'll run straight 4x.

On windier days, you can lengthen the thicker section of leader to get the fly further into the wind before falling. If you're tossing big flies, you can usually get away with a shorter leader. If you're tossing #16 flies into clear water there may simply be no good answer except changing positions.

It's hard to fly fish from any boat that's moving and a kayak is almost impossible. You lift the rod at any hesitation so it's really hard to discern that when you're moving. It can be done but you'll just have to get closer.

Keep at it...you're a fisherman, you'll figure out what works.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It depends upon many factors.

First thing is a properly constructed leader for the situation. It should taper from a fairly stout leader at the fly line down to the fly. They make tapered leaders but I prefer to construct my own. Do you know how to tie a blood knot? This is essential to constructing a leader. Mine for trout typically go from 4x down to 6x or 7x. If I'm tossing a weighted nymph though, I'll run straight 4x.

On windier days, you can lengthen the thicker section of leader to get the fly further into the wind before falling. If you're tossing big flies, you can usually get away with a shorter leader. If you're tossing #16 flies into clear water there may simply be no good answer except changing positions.

It's hard to fly fish from any boat that's moving and a kayak is almost impossible. You lift the rod at any hesitation so it's really hard to discern that when you're moving. It can be done but you'll just have to get closer.

Keep at it...you're a fisherman, you'll figure out what works.
My leader consist of Alloy Hard, 16 lb tippet and 8 lb mono. I have no idea what size my flies are. They're pretty small because I'm after panfish, bream and crappie.

And without a boat, it will be almost impossible to fish the river I live near. It's lined with cypress and willows and the depth keeps me from being able to wade, so i'll have to learn and/or adapt to doing it from some sort of boat. Whether it's a kayak, jon boat, pond boat, or whatever, it's the only way to get to the fish.

These are my target, the redbreast bream:

10409116_10204415781499158_4531030222338868361_n.jpg

10404190_10204415781779165_7924041829302561622_n.jpg

10478206_10204415782059172_2682029078612931587_n.jpg

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well a boat it is then. Something more of a john boat or rowboat would be better than a kayak.

Those bream aren't too shy so I'd say you could shorten your leader by quite a bit.

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So how do you combat the wind? If I'm casting from the dock, I have to cast with the wind if I want to get any distance, other wise the wind just knocks the fly down short of my target area.

I'm looking at getting one of those kayaks to get around on. I tried wading, but to get the fly where I wanted it, I had to be in chest deep water and I couldn't cast with the water that deep. I thought about borrowing the neighbors paddle boat, but that thing is sooooo LOUD, that I decided against it.

Anyway, just some random thoughts after my first couple weeks with a fly rod in my hand.

I read a few internet articles and this is as close to what I do as I can find.

Casting into the wind

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read a few internet articles and this is as close to what I do as I can find.

Casting into the wind

Couldn't have said it better myself.

With that said, you will get years of wind-knots before getting it right, and even then, even the best are still prone to it occasionally.

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn't have said it better myself.

With that said, you will get years of wind-knots before getting it right, and even then, even the best are still prone to it occasionally.

Spent more than a few hours learning how to untangle them damn knots