• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Flyers host the Canucks: And in other News 43 hates the flyers

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
flyers and canucks last meeting was 2011. I love when these teams play each other but the flyers OWN the canucks

CANUCKS (3-3-0) at FLYERS (1-5-0)

TV: SNET-P, CSN-PH

Season series: This is the first meeting between the teams since Oct. 12, 2011, when the Philadelphia Flyers earned a 5-4 victory at home.

Big story: After getting swept in back-to-back games over the weekend, the Flyers return home hoping to right their ship. The Vancouver Canucks look to start their seven-game road trip on the right foot while also snapping their two-game losing streak.

Team scope:

Canucks: The Canucks will be away from home for the next seven games, but captain Henrik Sedin said Monday a long road trip could be just what his team needs.

"I think it's nice to go away during the season, get together as a team," he said. "We're playing some tough teams [but] it's easier to get into team game on the road rather than at home. It's good for us."

He said part of the reason the team was outscored 8-1 in the past two games is the slow learning of coach John Tortorella's systems.

"You see during games we attempt to get back to things we did in the past instead of doing the things we want to do now and that's been hurting us so far," Sedin said. "Instead of doing 1-3-1 or [defensemen] getting back more, we attempt to be aggressive at times and it's cost us a few times."

Flyers: One of the biggest problems for the Flyers during their 1-5-0 start has been the number of penalties the team has taken -- a League-high 39 minor penalties, leaving them shorthanded 33 times, the most in the League.

The latest issue came Saturday against the Detroit Red Wings, when the Flyers gave the Red Wings five power plays, and Detroit scored on three of them en route to a 5-2 victory.

"We have to stop taking penalties," Berube told reporters after the loss to the Red Wings. "It's been an issue in this organization for too long. It's got to get better, and we will get better because of the style we want to play, and [with better] skating you won't take as many penalties when you're moving your feet. The hooking and holding and dumb penalties have to be eliminated. They're unacceptable."

Spending so much time killing penalties also makes it harder for the Flyers to find their offense. Their eight goals through six games are the second-fewest in the League

Who's hot: With four goals in his first six games, Canucks forward Mike Santorelli is off to the best start of his NHL career. Tortorella is rewarding his strong play with increased ice time; after averaging about 15 minutes per game in his first three games, he's played more than 20 minutes in his past two games.

Injury report: Canucks forwards Jordan Schroeder (ankle) and Alexandre Burrows (foot) are on injured reserve. … Flyers forward Scott Hartnell (upper body) is out for about a month, and center Vincent Lecavalier (lower body) is expected to miss about a week.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
43 hates the Flyers? I never knew.

/I seem to recall he liked Bernie Parent.

Last edited by a moderator:

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schroeder is playing tonight

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
flyers take another crack at breaking the 3 goals in a game mark!

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
flyers take another crack at breaking the 3 goals in a game mark!

That could be enough for a win tonight...

/When do I start the Ryan Kesler milk carton campaign?

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im thinkin a Kesler for Giroux trade makes alot of sense ... well throw in eberle too

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Growing up, I spent more time in the Spectrum than any other arena. Plus the Flyers not only gave us one of the best goalies on earth for 2 picks, they also took one of the worst off our hands. You are mistaken, matty.

I hate Ed Snider and his making a mockery of the rules that cost us fans every 5th season or so.

If the Rangers or Penguins had done the exact same cap circumvention, Flyers fans would be screaming bloody murder. But their guy did it, so it's all okay.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time for Kassian to step up as well, he wasn't very noticeable on Saturday night. He probably needs to play with the Sedins, but Santorelli currently has that spot.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time for Kassian to step up as well, he wasn't very noticeable on Saturday night. He probably needs to play with the Sedins, but Santorelli currently has that spot.

I want to say.. it was the first game.... he is young. he has a new coach.

or all of the above. but I look at Kassian and I see something missing. something is not there with this kid. Im not sure he can spell DVD. I just dont see anything in this kid yet. but its still so early

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Growing up, I spent more time in the Spectrum than any other arena. Plus the Flyers not only gave us one of the best goalies on earth for 2 picks, they also took one of the worst off our hands. You are mistaken, matty.

I hate Ed Snider and his making a mockery of the rules that cost us fans every 5th season or so.

If the Rangers or Penguins had done the exact same cap circumvention, Flyers fans would be screaming bloody murder. But their guy did it, so it's all okay.

still early obviously, but through 4 games this year, mason > bobrovsky.. probably a little bit of hyperbole to say 'best in the world' and 'one of the worst in the world'

2013-2014 - Regular Season - Goalie - Summary - Wins - NHL.com - Stats

i would venture to say the BJs are putting a higher quality hockey in front of him too

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

or all of the above. but I look at Kassian and I see something missing. something is not there with this kid. Im not sure he can spell DVD. I just dont see anything in this kid yet. but its still so early

1354642198106008.jpg

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i guess that is the point here... hes what 22?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

All I'm saying is its a tad over the top to say one of the best and one of the worst when they're playing almost identical hockey currently. You know, the time period that matters.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Flyers fans I have Giroux on one of my fantasy teams. He & is 1 lousy assist are on my bench in favor of Kyle Okposo. If somebody had told me I would do this at the beginning of the season I'd have told them they were NUTS.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I'm saying is its a tad over the top to say one of the best and one of the worst when they're playing almost identical hockey currently. You know, the time period that matters.

Oh. Thought our response said "best" and "one of the best" so I was thinking you were calling it hyperbole to say Sergei is one of the best.

Gotcha.

Yes, it's unfair to call Mase one of the worst, but in my defense I have watched him for the last five years. When he was good one year and mostly awful the rest.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And to call mason one of the worst in the world means you have obviously never seen mooger play