• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: First Round - Washington Capitals vs. Philadelphia Flyers

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tremendous defensive effort wasn't pretty but they did what they had to on the road. All the pressure is on the caps let's see them buckle.

They can only score when they have 6-8 PP's hopefully the refs don't give them that BS. Flyers playing well 5 on 5 so they have a chance. Win Sunday maybe Couts comes back for 7...

It's true. One of the most shocking stats of this entire series is that technically both teams have scored five even strength goals. They are +7 overall in goals, but we're dead even in that category.

Our penalty kill was just God awful with Mase in net, but the strategy has changed some and so has the netminder. We're also showing a lot more discipline and the refs are swallowing their whistles a bit.

The Caps can no longer lean heavily on getting 5-6 power plays per game, half of which they score on.

Neuvy deserves a lot of credit here, but the effort by our boys in our own zone last night was absolutely tremendous, so he didn't do it alone. We're playing a true playoff brand of defensive hockey and it is something to behold.

They threw everything at us last night and we completely shut them down offensively. That has to be extremely disheartening and worrisome given their past issues.

Also, I don't expect to play this way on home ice, but for one game in hostile territory, we pulled it off.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's true. One of the most shocking stats of this entire series is that technically both teams have scored five even strength goals. They are +7 overall in goals, but we're dead even in that category.

Our penalty kill was just God awful with Mase in net, but the strategy has changed some and so has the netminder. We're also showing a lot more discipline and the refs are swallowing their whistles a bit.

The Caps can no longer lean heavily on getting 5-6 power plays per game, half of which they score on.

Neuvy deserves a lot of credit here, but the effort by our boys in our own zone last night was absolutely tremendous, so he didn't do it alone. We're playing a true playoff brand of defensive hockey and it is something to behold.

They threw everything at us last night and we completely shut them down offensively. That has to be extremely disheartening and worrisome given their past issues.

Also, I don't expect to play this way on home ice, but for one game in hostile territory, we pulled it off.
Totally agree. While I don't completely blame Mase it's a team game Neuvy has earned the teams confidence and with the few tweaks they are getting it done.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said this before the series even started. I predicted the Flyers in 7.
Also said that the Flyers would be a dangerous team to play and they matchup well against the Caps. I think the Caps are history and this may be another one of those 2010 runs. At least I hope so.
It would be worse for them than 2010 IMO. No 1st seed has ever blown a 3-0 series lead to an 8th seed. This would likely go down as the biggest choke in NHL history :dhd:

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be worse for them than 2010 IMO. No 1st seed has ever blown a 3-0 series lead to an 8th seed. This would likely go down as the biggest choke in NHL history :dhd:
True and for a President's Trophy winner on top of that. The pressure continues to grow and the Flyers really are just having fun out there and playing loose. However, they cannot afford to face 44 shots every game to 8-9 a game. Eventually that will stop in your favor.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True and for a President's Trophy winner on top of that. The pressure continues to grow and the Flyers really are just having fun out there and playing loose. However, they cannot afford to face 44 shots every game to 8-9 a game. Eventually that will stop in your favor.
I think the reason for that was because the Flyers were uncertain about their goaltending, so they played a passive box in their own zone. Now that they have some confidence in their goaltending, they could attack the perimeter more often and that will create more offensive rushes going the other way. That's my theory anyways.

mall3013

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the reason for that was because the Flyers were uncertain about their goaltending, so they played a passive box in their own zone. Now that they have some confidence in their goaltending, they could attack the perimeter more often and that will create more offensive rushes going the other way. That's my theory anyways.
Interesting. I'm curious how the Caps respond tomorrow on the road in Philly? Will they play looser on the road? Will they play tight? The Philly crowd will be a rowdy bunch as usual. If the Flyers score first, the Caps may shit themselves. They need to close this series tomorrow or else they are toast imo.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting. I'm curious how the Caps respond tomorrow on the road in Philly? Will they play looser on the road? Will they play tight? The Philly crowd will be a rowdy bunch as usual. If the Flyers score first, the Caps may shit themselves. They need to close this series tomorrow or else they are toast imo.
I think the Capitals will approach game 6 the same way they approached game 5. From their perspective, they did everything right, just ran into a hot goalie. At least that's the impression I got from listening to their interviews on NHL Tonight last night.

mall3013

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Capitals will approach game 6 the same way they approached game 5. From their perspective, they did everything right, just ran into a hot goalie. At least that's the impression I got from listening to their interviews on NHL Tonight last night.
You can't really do much better than throwing 44 shots on goal.. If the Flyers can stay out of the box and they start to get their shit together on the PP, we should be fine.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We could make this a lot easier if we were to get our power play on track.

It's amazing that this is going six games when you consider that their power play is operating at over 36% and ours at under 5%.

We just need to gain the zone early with possession, get shots with traffic and pounce on the rebounds or loose pucks. Instead, we're letting them block shots and routinely get clears, which keeps their guys fresh and all over us.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't really do much better than throwing 44 shots on goal.. If the Flyers can stay out of the box and they start to get their shit together on the PP, we should be fine.
That's the nice thing about the win for the Flyers last night. They won the game and they'll be the ones making the adjustments for game 6. We know exactly what the Capitals will try to do the next game while we have no clue what the Flyers will be doing. The element of surprise gives the Flyers an advantage IMO.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That and the element of are we ever going to score another goal on this guy?

Or...are we ever going to be able to close out a series while being heavy favorites?

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WE are definitely in the Caps head with Neuvy in goal but a more foreboding message the Caps have in their minds is "Have we underestimated the heart of these Flyers?" I stated from the beginning that if the Caps want this series, they'll have to EARN it! And that may be the difference when they came into this series thinking it was going to be a cake-walk!!

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tremendous defensive effort wasn't pretty but they did what they had to on the road. All the pressure is on the caps let's see them buckle.

They can only score when they have 6-8 PP's hopefully the refs don't give them that BS. Flyers playing well 5 on 5 so they have a chance. Win Sunday maybe Couts comes back for 7...

I don't think Couturier will be returning for this series, unfortunately, but it's a nice thought.

Recent news on Sean Couturier - Philadelphia Flyers - Rotoworld.com

Regardless, if Neuvy continues to stand on his head, we play rock solid defense in our own zone and/or we get our power play going, we have a decent shot at winning this series.

Ghost rang one off the iron in the last game. I would love to see him step up and be a difference maker offensively. Regardless, this experience for him has to be invaluable. The same goes for Hakstol, Cousins, Manning and our entire fourth line, among others.

I think we are growing as a team here game by game and our best hockey has yet to be played.

Last edited:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Consider my eyebrows raised. Very impressed by the resilience of this squad. I don't know why I don't expect it anymore.

Key notes, they really packed it in on defense about halfway through the second. Not sure that was exactly a great idea, but you cant argue with success. Just nerve wracking to be sure. The PP has gotta adjust. Giroux has not been able to handle the pressure they put on him and the whole PP just moves too slowly to handle the pressure. They gotta move guys around and adjust the formation like they did on the PK, at least, IMO. Granted, White's goal was essentially a PP goal last night.

Game 6 on home ice should be the easier game to win than game 5. The doubt is definitely creeping in and the fans will be boisterous. LETS GO FLYERS

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are a lot of intriguing questions entering this game. I would hate for this ride to end on home ice and you would think a win here would really put the Caps in a serious pressure cooker back at Verizon Center in game 7.

Regardless, it's difficult to question the heart and resiliency of these Flyers, even minus Couturier and MDZ. We often seem to play our best when we absolutely need it.

That would be now.

mall3013

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big game today boys. We need this! Hopefully we can stay out of the box and not let the emotions get to us. Just play your game and stay disciplined.

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Counting down.

Playing with house money and still hanging in.

No matter what, this team has made us proud.

shrike19

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All the pressure on the caps now, lets hope they're holding those sticks a little tighter than normal. I

shrike19

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...not sure what happened there, anyway, I hope the flyers don't come out too jacked up with the refs looking to fill a penalty quota. GET PEOPLE IN FRONT OF HOLTBY.