• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: FINAL FOUR 2017

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope people know gonzaga hasnt beat a team under a 4 seed. Lol. Blow out city coming. Gonzaga hate to say it joke of a final team.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you cherry pick?

MU was a blue blood type in 70s

Arizona is that now.

At the end of the day results are comparable.

Once again, you lose

I lose? You with this bullshit again?

Marquette had a great decade 4 decades ago! Holy shit stop the presses! 3EEs, 2FFs, and 1 NC in 9 years.

AZ had the same decade during the 90s, except that they also had a FF in the decade prior and another in the decade following. They've also followed the last FF up with 5 EEs, a half-dozen conf reg season and/or tourney champs, dozens and dozens of draft picks, and whole years of top 10/5/1 rankings. And all of that is surrounded by 25 consecutive tickets to the dance, and 31 out of 33 years in a row.

Oh, but Marquette had that one decade while the Vietnam War was still kicking! And two deep runs in March since.

Marq in the 70s is the same as AZ in the 80s, 90s, 2000s, and 2010s? Ahahahahahahahahahahaha

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Marquette had a great decade 4 decades ago! Holy shit stop the presses! 3EEs, 2FFs, and 1 NC in 9 years.

AZ had the same decade during the 90s, except that they also had a FF in the decade prior and another in the decade following. They've also followed the last FF up with 5 EEs, a half-dozen conf reg season and/or tourney champs, dozens and dozens of draft picks, and whole years of top 10/5/1 rankings. And all of that is surrounded by 25 consecutive tickets to the dance, and 31 out of 33 years in a row.

Oh, but Marquette had that one decade while the Vietnam War was still kicking! And two deep runs in March since.

Marq in the 70s is the same as AZ in the 80s, 90s, 2000s, and 2010s? Ahahahahahahahahahahaha

No I said they are comparable as all time programs

Not cherry picked. Every single year factored in.

Did you and your aspergers just get mad about Sean Miller only having 13 years against "100 years"?

Gonzaga>Arizona.

Since 2002 they have a final 4.

Cherry picked. You lose again.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How many NCs does AZ have?

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I said they are comparable as all time programs

Not cherry picked. Every single year factored in.

Did you and your aspergers just get mad about Sean Miller only having 13 years against "100 years"?

Gonzaga>Arizona.

Since 2002 they have a final 4.

Cherry picked. You lose again.

Both MU and AZ have 1 NC. After that, the 1 more FF that AZ has over MU is about as close as it gets for just about every statistical measure. I'm not saying that AZ is head and shoulders above MU, but AZ is definitely a better program.

And GU versus AZ is a bigger joke.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both MU and AZ have 1 NC. After that, the 1 more FF that AZ has over MU is about as close as it gets for just about every statistical measure. I'm not saying that AZ is head and shoulders above MU, but AZ is definitely a better program.

And GU versus AZ is a bigger joke.

Didn't say they weren't.

After I made the Sean Miller quip with gonzaga. You laughed at Marquette as if they were some format but the two programs are historically comparable and one of them was a mid major for decades. Just found it ironic you made it seem like it wasn't close

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't say they weren't.

After I made the Sean Miller quip with gonzaga. You laughed at Marquette as if they were some format but the two programs are historically comparable and one of them was a mid major for decades. Just found it ironic you made it seem like it wasn't close

They aren't far apart. I think MU is a great program, top 20. They have a great history and it's a great program. Great coaching opportunity. But you know AZ is better, and that's why I laughed. Because you said they're the same.: "Marquette was a near blue-blood in the 70's and AZ is that now." MU is a great program but AZ is around #10 I'd say.

I brought up MU only when you brought up Miller. AZ v. MU is a much better comparison than Miller v. MU. And AZ was a mid-major too, until the year after MU won it.

AZ went to the EE in '76 and switched to the Pac in '78.

They had their last losing season (under an interim coach) in 1983, and Lute arrived in '84. Since then, AZ has been pretty consistent. They've only had two seasons where they didn't win 20 games, and 7 seasons with 30 or more wins. And that is heading into AZ's 4th decade of that level with no signs of slowing.

And AZ's (and Miller's) trajectory is higher than MU's has been for the last 4 decades (save 2 years), which tells me that it's not even heading in MU's direction.

Again, I'm not trying to shit on MU, but if you're going to try and throw some shit into Miller's face when he wasn't even a part of the discussion, then you should be ready for me to bring up MU.

Other than that, now we're arguing about something other than where we started, and the whole thing is a waste of each our time.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Post 52: I think GU is a great program and Few is a great coach. I understand that other teams have gotten to the FF in the past with weak SOSs (especially CSOS). I'm not saying that they can't make it to the FF or win it (especially in a win or go home setting), but I just don't think it helps them to play against WCC competition for the final two months of the season every year.

Post 58: Like I said, Few is a great coach and GU is a solid program. What he's able to do in Spokane with not much else going in their athletic department, and with many teams refusing to go to the kennel is really impressive. I'm not trying to take anything away from Few.

Post 63: Again, I like Few. I'd really like to be wrong about this because I'd like to see another team west of Kansas hang a banner. It's great for AZ because we do play them all the time. But I also see that it's much less difficult to play 3-4 top 25 teams a year, before January, win all of them or lose all of them, and then you coast to March.

Post 72: If we disagree, we disagree. I look at Gonzaga and they are a solid program with solid teams every year. I think it takes a lot for them not to play anyone in the last half of the year and to get to as many S16s (or EEs for that matter) as they do.

Post 92: I'm not trying to shit on GU. I think they have a good team, a solid coach, and a solid program. I just don't think they ever look like a FF team. They look great to start the season, and they essentially stay there. I have to believe that they get to the second weekend this March, but depending on the matchup and location, I just don't see them pushing for a FF.

Post 159: Finally, I just want to reiterate to you that I think GU is a solid team. They are in my top ten for sure. But they are not one of the 6-8 teams right now that I would say going into March that I would say is a FF team.

If you think they can do it, you are 100% entitled to think it. It's not a bad bet. All I'm saying is that I don't see it. I think the EE is their ceiling. I should be able to say that too, right? Obviously I've given actual statistics and history to show why I think it. I'm not stating a completely irrational position with no support, right?

The only difference is that you think they can make it one more round than I do. I think it can definitely be a well-positioned disagreement by both sides."

The fact that you couldn't read that I think they're a top team that I just couldn't put into my final four, is beyond me. I would have had the same conversation about a half-dozen other teams including AZ. And out of all of that, all you see is that I bet against them. I just didn't bet on them. Get over it.

Again, never said that you said they weren't all those things. You said the ceiling is the E8, you said they aren't one of the 6-8 teams that can make a FF. You said in there you'd like to be wrong. If you can say you like to be wrong, wouldn't that mean about them getting to a FF? Its pretty clear what your stance was. Saying they might get to the FF after all the shit you said about their schedule, again, doesn't hold a lot of weight.

If you can admit you were wrong(like you said you'd like to do) we can be done here.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe it will be close. Carolina has size and rebounding strength, but Gonzaga won't turn it over like the Ducks. Zags got complacent with the big lead tonight and allowed USC to come back. If they do that against Carolina they will lose. I like the Zags.

USC didn't play last night.

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gonzaga hate to say it joke of a final team.

I'm in the same club. Not trying to sound harsh, but I just can't take them seriously while some of their fans beating their chest from whooping on San Francisco and Pepperdine. Once in awhile I have to Google search what conference they're from because I keep forgetting lol.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm in the same club. Not trying to sound harsh, but I just can't take them seriously while some of their fans beating their chest from whooping on San Francisco and Pepperdine. Once in awhile I have to Google search what conference they're from because I keep forgetting lol.
Get over it. Gonzaga is in the Championship game.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I know Gonzaga was the no#1 ranked team in the country for 3 weeks

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope people know gonzaga hasnt beat a team under a 4 seed. Lol. Blow out city coming. Gonzaga hate to say it joke of a final team.
They're not getting any credit at all if they lose to UNC. Sucks for them but it is what it is.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're not getting any credit at all if they lose to UNC. Sucks for them but it is what it is.

I disagree. I think they've been playing with house $ since they made it to Phoenix.

The goal for most programs is to make it to the Final 4. Even for a program like Duke/UK, except for years when they are the overwhelming prohibitive favorite going in to the tourney, making the Final 4 would be considered a success.

Getting to the Final 4 is going to do wonders for Gonzaga's program. Winning the title would be even better, but it won't diminish what they've done.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gonzaga and Clemson are not really equivalent. Boise St would be more accurate.

I was thinking Boise St but they were never ranked that high, never mind #1 . I also know that because Boise and Zags played in Mid Major conf, they dont get the respect of a ACC conf etc Real fans knew they were a legit team as well as the ones doing the seeding, giving them a #1 seed, besides their 1 loss season