• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

final BCS Bowl projections are in

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
meh. Is what it is.

THis is the difference of playing 9 conference games vs 8.

Would have loved to have Idaho State instead of Zona in November.

retract this. 9 games is great. DOnt want FCS in November.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
your big New Year's Day Jan 1 bowls are projected as:

Capital One Bowl at 1pm (ET) on ABC in Orlando, home of Disneyworld
#27/29 Iowa vs. #8/8 South Carolina
#19/19 Wisconsin vs. #8/8 South Carolina
#19/19 Wisconsin vs #8/8 South Carolina
#19/19 Wisconsin vs #8/8 South Carolina
#19/19 Wisconsin vs. #9/9 Missouri
#19/19 Wisconsin vs. #9/9 Missouri

:hope: :drool: :rockon: :pop2:

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ticket sales implies hotels, bars, restaurants, and local attractions.
I disagree. The Sugar Bowl could get 100% ticket sales with LSU v. Tulane (hypothetical), but that won't equate to hotels, bars, restaurants and local attractions. For example, I am a little surprised that the Chik-fil-a Bowl is considering UGa. Ticket sales for sure, but hotels and entertainment not so much. Especially if the opponent is Duke.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. The Sugar Bowl could get 100% ticket sales with LSU v. Tulane (hypothetical), but that won't equate to hotels, bars, restaurants and local attractions. For example, I am a little surprised that the Chik-fil-a Bowl is considering UGa. Ticket sales for sure, but hotels and entertainment not so much. Especially if the opponent is Duke.

But the Sugar Bowl won't be LSU/Tulane will it? Because that was a stupid example.

You're just arguing to be arguing.

I haven't seen anything suggesting Georgia to the Chick-fil-a Bowl. It's been all Texas A&M

Ticket sales = Hotels, bars, restaurants, rental cars, and local attractions. If you honestly don't believe that you are ignorant.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But the Sugar Bowl won't be LSU/Tulane will it? Because that was a stupid example.

You're just arguing to be arguing.

I haven't seen anything suggesting Georgia to the Chick-fil-a Bowl. It's been all Texas A&M

Ticket sales = Hotels, bars, restaurants, rental cars, and local attractions. If you honestly don't believe that you are ignorant.
I am hardly ignorant on this subject, and I am arguing because I believe that my point is correct and obvious. You can project your psychosis on me if you like, but I know why I am discussing this.

Ticket sales are not always equal to, or synonymous with, hotel, bars, restaurants and entertainment. And the reason for this is why local teams rarely play in local bowls.

The reason is obvious. If you have a local team, they will not stay in hotels for multiple nights, go out to restaurants on multiple occasions, etc. You want people to be there for 3 or 4 days, not driving in and then heading home, or even just staying one night. This is the paradox that bowl committees face. The closer to the venue your teams are, the more likely you are go to get a sell out ... that's good. But, if you get too close, you will get your sell out, but you won't get as big an impact to the city.

My example, which I identified as a hypothetical, is a great hypothetical. Other examples, are why my two alma maters don't often play in local bowls. UGa rarely plays in the Chik-fil-a bowl although it would guarantee a sellout. Teams like USCe, Clemson, LSU, UVa for several years, etc., are better as they are close enough to ensure that you will get good attendance, but far enough people have to come and stay in Atlanta. Vandy, the few times they have been in a bowl, are the same way. They have been in the Music City Bowl, but also the Liberty Bowl that is in Memphis instead of Nashville.

By the way, if you look at the impact to the city v. ticket sales, it isn't even close. Say the Sugar Bowl can sell 70,000 seats at $150. That's $11,250,000. Sounds like a lot, doesn't it? It isn't.

Studies completed in February of 2012 by economist Dr. Timothy R. Ryan showed the annual activities of the Sugar Bowl had a combined economic impact of $493.73 million on the metro region, including direct tax revenue of $24.35 million for the state and $16.43 million local governments in the New Orleans area. The Bowl's activities for the past year included both the annual Allstate Sugar Bowl Classic as well as the Allstate BCS National Championship, hosted by the Sugar Bowl for the fourth time in 2012.
Because that number was for the year that the Sugar Bowl had 2 games (the bowl and the NCG), we can cut it in half. The economic impact of the Sugar Bowl was around $250 million. Compare that to $11.25 million in ticket sales and you can see why the important part isn't butts in seats, but people in hotels, bars and restaurants.

In most ways we agree ... we agree that they want people in bars, hotels, and restaurants. I am simply pointing out that there are valid reasons why you consider that differently than getting people in the seats at the game. Local teams will get you the later, but not the former, and the former actually is more important as the numbers clearly show.

As to UGa to the Chik-fil-a Bowl, I just made that up because I want to argue to argue. Oh, wait, no I didn't (in the last 2 articles you will have to read into them to find the Chik-fil-a rumors which I have been following since this morning):

Report: Georgia-Miami in the Chick-fil-A Bowl

Looks like Bulldogs heading back to Jacksonville | UGA Sports Blog | www.ajc.com

UGA Bulldogs and Nebraska Cornhuskers get rematch in Gator Bowl

My kids and I even debated which we would prefer ... to go to Atlanta or to Jax. As it turns out we will be in Florida and probably able to go the Gator Bowl, so it works out better for us.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL. Now you're saying what I've been saying all along in this and other threads. :L

You want fans to buy a seat, travel to your city, stay in hotels, drink at bars, eat at restaurants, and visit your attractions. The bowl game isn't raping the hotels, bars, and restaurants for their profits. They make their money off of ticket sales, tv contract revenue, and concession's.

The bowl committee, made up of local politicians and business owners are going to pick a team that travels well and will spend money in their city.

You didn't address your statement that none of the tv revenue is used to pay the conferences.

The Gator bowl (for example) pays out $3.5 million per team. Where do you think they're coming up with the extra money to pay that, plus maintain a profit?

ummm tv network contract?

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL. Now you're saying what I've been saying all along in this and other threads. :L

You want fans to buy a seat, travel to your city, stay in hotels, drink at bars, eat at restaurants, and visit your attractions. The bowl game isn't raping the hotels, bars, and restaurants for their profits. They make their money off of ticket sales, tv contract revenue, and concession's.

The bowl committee, made up of local politicians and business owners are going to pick a team that travels well and will spend money in their city.

You didn't address your statement that none of the tv revenue is used to pay the conferences.

The Gator bowl (for example) pays out $3.5 million per team. Where do you think they're coming up with the extra money to pay that, plus maintain a profit?

ummm tv network contract?
I've been consistent throughout ... my initial post simply said I disagreed with your statement that butts in seats is necessarily the same as hotels, restaurants, and I then gave an example of why bowls don't like local teams. You attacked my post, not thinking that we agree on most things and that the only thing I was talking about was the ramification of local teams in local bowls. Go re-read my post, you will now see what I was saying.

As to the TV network revenue discussion, that is a different thread.