• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Filling out the roster

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just hope D'Antoni isn't intending to use Pau and Kaman together much; the negative impact on the defense would be huge. Neither is a good PnR defender; combined it could be disastrous.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just hope D'Antoni isn't intending to use Pau and Kaman together much; the negative impact on the defense would be huge. Neither is a good PnR defender; combined it could be disastrous.

Defense won't be the calling card of this team regardless of the lineup.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK CL67 and LakersRule. With Madsen and Rambis around, we might have a better defense than last year because Rambis was specifically hired for that purpose!

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK CL67 and LakersRule. With Madsen and Rambis around, we might have a better defense than last year because Rambis was specifically hired for that purpose!

well, you could be right, bro. hell in fact, i'm hoping you are. it's kinda tough really on where to exactly set the bar with team right now because so much is unknown. only answers we're gonna get is when these guys actually hit the court together. lol it is what it is, man...

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The defensive effort might be improved overall, but without Dwight as the last line of defense, it's almost a sure thing the team defense will suffer without him.

It's bad enough to go from Dwight to Pau at C defensively; if the Lakers keep Pau at PF and go to Kaman at C together, that will be even worse.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDk Shopson. I think the reality was the defense Howard provided with his stay with the Lakers was more reputation-driven than actual defensive prowess mainly because Howard was rehabing for a good portion of his time with the Lakers. The defense he was known for did not show up until late in the season as he got healthier.

The defense these new Lakers may be capable of developing will be more team-oriented because we no longer have the reputation of Howard and his defense to rely on whether is was real or imagined. I sense that this team may develop into something everyone is not expecting. I have witnessed this before with the Lakers and I sense it may happen again.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDk Shopson. I think the reality was the defense Howard provided with his stay with the Lakers was more reputation-driven than actual defensive prowess mainly because Howard was rehabing for a good portion of his time with the Lakers. The defense he was known for did not show up until late in the season as he got healthier.

The defense these new Lakers may be capable of developing will be more team-oriented because we no longer have the reputation of Howard and his defense to rely on whether is was real or imagined. I sense that this team may develop into something everyone is not expecting. I have witnessed this before with the Lakers and I sense it may happen again.

:agree: In some ways, I'm more excited to see this coming team than I was last seasons team!! I know that none of us have tremendous confidence in D'Antoni, but his Suns teams made stars out of some players that no one had heard of prior to them being on that team!! I think there are some players on this team that could thrive in his offense!!

wlk3

Me and the guys
Hoopla Cash
$ 168,223.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree: In some ways, I'm more excited to see this coming team than I was last seasons team!! I know that none of us have tremendous confidence in D'Antoni, but his Suns teams made stars out of some players that no one had heard of prior to them being on that team!! I think there are some players on this team that could thrive in his offense!!

The problem with that is those teams were filled with young athletic guys who could make open shots and move without the ball so Nash was able to pick you apart when your head turned... There is nothing young nor athletic about 4 of our 5 scheduled starters...

Shawn Marion, Raja Bell, Barbosa, James Jones, Joe Johnson even Amare and Diaw were slim and athletic... This team is going to have to walk the ball up and shoot like 68% a game in order to set the defense...

wlk3

Me and the guys
Hoopla Cash
$ 168,223.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players I would have LOVED to see us pursue this off season if we are just adding pieces...

I'm okay with Nick Young...he can play SF, a little unsure of how he will play off the ball because from what I recall he was better when he could come in and have the ball in his hands for stretches... But at 1.18 a year I won't complain... But Francisco Garcia signed in Houston for 2 years 2.6... I know the Lakers want flexabilty but after we sign the free agents we need to fill in the roster... Garcia would already be an the team the vet min... While Young could be like Quentin Richardson with the Suns, Garcia could have been like Raja Bell for us...

To turn Ron Artest into Chris Kaman was just bad IMO... I know Artest wasn't worth the money plus the tax but him at the stretch 4 in Dantoni's system with Pau down low was something I was looking forward to... Again finance was the key but to grab Kaman was just a slap in the face to all that's defensively holy... For the same price and an extra year we could have added Byron Mullens... I know he's not Shawn Marion but either Pau or Kaman is going to have to play the 4 in this offense and while both are great to about 18 feet, they are both at their best 5-10 feet from the basket offensively and both are allergic to getting over on D... Mullens likes to stretch further and can move faster than either of our bigs... Again he's no savior but I think closer to what Diaw brought to the Suns when he was playing well...

Not sure many of you guys recall him but I wished we took a chance on Tyler Honeycutt from UCLA... I think if he could get some weight on him he and a shot in the right system (Dantoni) he could be very Marion esque... Speaking of Marion isn't he a free agent...? Also why the hell was Goudelock on Chicago's summer league team and not on the Lakers roster...?

I like Wesley Johnson sorta, like the pick sorta... Interested in what to expect and KOBE!!!

Feels like a team that could get a 4 seed or end up at 8 or 9 and just get screwed altogether, but it is going to be fun I think... Much better than last year I hope!:hope:

wlk3

Me and the guys
Hoopla Cash
$ 168,223.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The coach also thinks that Gasol and newly acquired center Chris Kaman will be a natural fit together in the starting lineup.

“I just see them kind of blending in together pretty easily,” D’Antoni said. “A lot easier than it was last year (with Howard), let’s put it that way.”

Doesn't look good...:hope:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with that is those teams were filled with young athletic guys who could make open shots and move without the ball so Nash was able to pick you apart when your head turned... There is nothing young nor athletic about 4 of our 5 scheduled starters...

Shawn Marion, Raja Bell, Barbosa, James Jones, Joe Johnson even Amare and Diaw were slim and athletic... This team is going to have to walk the ball up and shoot like 68% a game in order to set the defense...

I disagree to a point!! While Pau is no Amare, he is more athletic than he is given credit for!! He is a better passer than Amare was and is a dangerous shooter out to 17-20 feet!! Hill is athletic and so is Kobe (hopefully after the Achilles). Pau could also play a role similar to what Kareem had in the Showtime era where he wasn't flying down the court on the break, but instead would be very important in the half-court!!

Nash isn't going to be the Nash that he was on the Suns, but he doesn't have to be as this team isn't going to be running 7 seconds or less (at least not the starters)!! This team could also do something that last years Laker team could not do and that's change the pace!!

The starters can run a slower, pick and roll oriented version of D'Antoni's offense, then when the younger, more athletic players come in (Farmar, Young, Johnson) they can kick it up to something closer to 7SOL!! Remember, D'Antoni's basic offense is NOT 7SOL, it's based on ball movement with the premise of "shoot it or move it"!! The reason the Knicks offense fell apart under D'Antoni when 'Melo came back is because 'Melo is a ballstopper. That doesn't work in an offense that is based on "shoot it or move it"!!

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The coach also thinks that Gasol and newly acquired center Chris Kaman will be a natural fit together in the starting lineup.

“I just see them kind of blending in together pretty easily,” D’Antoni said. “A lot easier than it was last year (with Howard), let’s put it that way.”

Doesn't look good...:hope:

c03-howard-06.jpg

wlk3

Me and the guys
Hoopla Cash
$ 168,223.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree to a point!! While Pau is no Amare, he is more athletic than he is given credit for!! He is a better passer than Amare was and is a dangerous shooter out to 17-20 feet!! Hill is athletic and so is Kobe (hopefully after the Achilles). Pau could also play a role similar to what Kareem had in the Showtime era where he wasn't flying down the court on the break, but instead would be very important in the half-court!!

Nash isn't going to be the Nash that he was on the Suns, but he doesn't have to be as this team isn't going to be running 7 seconds or less (at least not the starters)!! This team could also do something that last years Laker team could not do and that's change the pace!!

The starters can run a slower, pick and roll oriented version of D'Antoni's offense, then when the younger, more athletic players come in (Farmar, Young, Johnson) they can kick it up to something closer to 7SOL!! Remember, D'Antoni's basic offense is NOT 7SOL, it's based on ball movement with the premise of "shoot it or move it"!! The reason the Knicks offense fell apart under D'Antoni when 'Melo came back is because 'Melo is a ballstopper. That doesn't work in an offense that is based on "shoot it or move it"!!

I don't dislike Pau at all... I think he will have a HUGE year this year offensively... I love everything about hiss offense... Defense is the problem... While he may make the first rotation he will not make the second... People absolutely won't be shy about taking it to the rack which means there is more emphasis on perimeter and with Nash whomever is at the 3 and Kobe being the question mark he is I'm very worried about the paint... There isn't anybody outside Kobe on the entire roster known for anything at all defensive... Wesley Johnson is a far second, I'd say Jordan Hill would come a close 3rd, and Farmar and Meeks close it out... That's NOT good at all...

There is absolutely no balance... I think we are MUCH better equipped offensively but we have dropped to the depths of hell defensively... No more Artest getting those key steals, no more Dwight lurking and pointing out rotations... It doesn't look good at all... I think there are/were some key pieces that could have done us more service defensively and still had offensive skill that could have kept us in better shape...

On a side note regarding Pau... If you recall last year his biggest complaint was the lack of use at and near the post... I'm well aware of his range but he looks very uncomfortable when he spends most of his time away from the blocks... He is at his best when he starts low then coming up then going back low... Mixing up but at least a slight majority of time on the blocks... His ability to drive, pass, shoot and use of post moves gives him a huge advantage offensively though and I can't wait to see how good he will be offensively...

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't dislike Pau at all... I think he will have a HUGE year this year offensively... I love everything about hiss offense... Defense is the problem... While he may make the first rotation he will not make the second... People absolutely won't be shy about taking it to the rack which means there is more emphasis on perimeter and with Nash whomever is at the 3 and Kobe being the question mark he is I'm very worried about the paint... There isn't anybody outside Kobe on the entire roster known for anything at all defensive... Wesley Johnson is a far second, I'd say Jordan Hill would come a close 3rd, and Farmar and Meeks close it out... That's NOT good at all...

There is absolutely no balance... I think we are MUCH better equipped offensively but we have dropped to the depths of hell defensively... No more Artest getting those key steals, no more Dwight lurking and pointing out rotations... It doesn't look good at all... I think there are/were some key pieces that could have done us more service defensively and still had offensive skill that could have kept us in better shape...

On a side note regarding Pau... If you recall last year his biggest complaint was the lack of use at and near the post... I'm well aware of his range but he looks very uncomfortable when he spends most of his time away from the blocks... He is at his best when he starts low then coming up then going back low... Mixing up but at least a slight majority of time on the blocks... His ability to drive, pass, shoot and use of post moves gives him a huge advantage offensively though and I can't wait to see how good he will be offensively...

I agree with much of this. Defense was never going to be this teams strength. I think, however, that they can be decent defensively. I heard an interview with Rambis where he said that he will be concentrating on the defense (the same role he had as Phil's assistant). Dwight leaving definitely hurt the defense, but I think they can be okay with a more team oriented approach. They just won't have the luxury of being able to funnel everything to the middle.

As for Pau. Some of the discomfort for him on offense last year was that he was being used differently than he ever has been and between no training camp with D'Antoni's system and his injuries, he never got a chance to get comfortable. The addition of Dwight, combined with D'Antoni's system meant that Pau had the most dramatic change in how he played. I think we'll see him spending alot more time in the post this season. Like you, I can't wait to see what he does offensively this season!! I think he'll have one of his best seasons!!

All of this discussion that we are all having over this team means that it's going to be an interesting season, imo!! We all have some different ideas on how things will pan out!!

Does anyone know if Lamar has signed with anyone yet? Haven't heard anything about him lately!!