• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

FIFA tells USA to be ready to accept the WC 2022 bid

potzer25

The most eubillicant poster.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,909.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well considering FIFA rammed through legal exemptions in Brazil to allow them to serve alcohol in stadiums only for the World Cup and only because Budweiser is a sponsor and was threatening to drop their support, if five of their six main sponsors are feeling itchy about Qatar I can certainly see there being enough smoke to be interested.

Can you imagine the potential for Budweiser if the Cup were moved to the USA? Advertising, revenue, etc? I imagine they'll put every ounce of pressure they can on FIFA...it's hard to promote alcohol in a dry country, I should think.

who said you can't drink in Qatar. there are plenty of good reasons to not hold the cup there but that isn't one of them.

ladyrockess

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
who said you can't drink in Qatar. there are plenty of good reasons to not hold the cup there but that isn't one of them.

I was under the impression as a country with a religious government with a religion that proscribes imbibing in alcohol that alcohol was highly restricted?

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you know the other five major sponsors? I assume Pepsi or Coke will be one of them for sure, although I imagine you can sell soda quite easily in a place like Qatar.

Sony, Adidas, Coca-Cola, BP, Visa and Hyundai/Kia

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was under the impression as a country with a religious government with a religion that proscribes imbibing in alcohol that alcohol was highly restricted?

Qatar isn't completely dry like Saudi Arabia, but they have more conservative Islamic based laws than Dubai when it comes to that and dress codes.

You'd probably be able to drink in the bars at some Qatar hotels and restaurants, but that's it.

The major problem is the country averages over 100 degrees during the summertime and it will have to have the majority of all labor for the games imported as most Qatari citizens are born into massive wealth and don't perform any type of manual labor. It's why all these Arab countries use soo much slave labor and why soo many are dying on this project.

ladyrockess

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Qatar isn't completely dry like Saudi Arabia, but they have more conservative Islamic based laws than Dubai when it comes to that and dress codes.

You'd probably be able to drink in the bars at some Qatar hotels and restaurants, but that's it.

The major problem is the country averages over 100 degrees during the summertime and it will have to have the majority of all labor for the games imported as most Qatari citizens are born into massive wealth and don't perform any type of manual labor. It's why all these Arab countries use soo much slave labor and why soo many are dying on this project.

Yeah, but we all know humans rights violations to the tune of a mere 4,000 deaths isn't going to stop FIFA.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but we all know humans rights violations to the tune of a mere 4,000 deaths isn't going to stop FIFA.

No it won't. So many bribes were involved in Russia and Qatar getting their bids, FIFA is absolutely horrified at what additional dirt will come out if they pull out now. Soo much money is involved and committed now, FIFA top dogs would be wondering every day of their lives if someone is going to put a bullet in their heads.

FIFA isn't concerned with the Qatar slave labor body count. It was only when the major sponsors who fund soo much of FIFAs money laundering and corruption are talking about pulling out, that's when the FIFA sat up in their chairs and started worrying about something.

SDPaddlefish

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,390.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well considering FIFA rammed through legal exemptions in Brazil to allow them to serve alcohol in stadiums only for the World Cup and only because Budweiser is a sponsor and was threatening to drop their support, if five of their six main sponsors are feeling itchy about Qatar I can certainly see there being enough smoke to be interested.

Can you imagine the potential for Budweiser if the Cup were moved to the USA? Advertising, revenue, etc? I imagine they'll put every ounce of pressure they can on FIFA...it's hard to promote alcohol in a dry country, I should think.

Watching soccer without drinking??? Isn't that like fishing without beer? It just isn't done.