• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fantasy Football News and Rumors

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK Mayfield on a better and healthier team and roster 17 TDs 13 Int. 7.2 YPA doesn't inspire confidence. Another bad QB decision by the Panthers and heads will roll because of it come end on season. I own Mayfield in a SF league so won't mind being wrong. Just oh so thankful Mayfield didn't end up being a Seahawk player.
A big variable on the Panthers, obviously, will be CmCs health. Baker's career YPA is identical to Teddy Bridgewater so my base expectations are built around Teddy who got canned for not being able to close games which is also a Baker special.

I wouldn't touch Baker Mayfield in fantasy but Id at least consider the Panthers players with Baker on the team. I do think the Panthers have some 'fiasco' potential with Baker and CmC maybe both not being reliable but I had Sam Darnold 32nd out of 32nd when it came to QBs so ending up 20th-25th would at least make the Panthers interesting.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baker's career YPA is identical to Teddy Bridgewater so my base expectations are built around Teddy who got canned for not being able to close games which is also a Baker special.
I like the way you think.

My expectations are a little higher, I suppose, just based on past numbers.
Carolina's passing offense was ranked 29th. Or third-worst.
In the 4 years Mayfield started for Cleveland, his passing yards never fell below 22nd. (13, 22, 16, 18)
Sometimes "change" is good.

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK Mayfield on a better and healthier team and roster 17 TDs 13 Int. 7.2 YPA doesn't inspire confidence. Another bad QB decision by the Panthers and heads will roll because of it come end on season. I own Mayfield in a SF league so won't mind being wrong. Just oh so thankful Mayfield didn't end up being a Seahawk player.
Mayfield first 3 seasons on that same team, more or less, average 25 scores, 14 ints, and ~3700 yds, definitely points towards last year being more of an aberration than what to expect.
Sure maybe he completely forgot how to play, maybe he just had a bad season.

And I'm not so sure I'd put OBJ, Landry, Chubb/Hunt as being better than DJ, Anderson, and CMAC...in fact, give me the Panthers skill position guys everytime.

I certainly wouldn't want to bank on him fantasy wise, but he's certainly capable of being good enough to not drag down DJ, Anderson or CMAC. Not likely good enough to elevate them, but much better than anything they've had since Cam fell apart...assuming he's still got the QB of his 1st 3 years in him, and has left last year's version behind him.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayfield first 3 seasons on that same team, more or less, average 25 scores, 14 ints, and ~3700 yds, definitely points towards last year being more of an aberration than what to expect.

And I'm not so sure I'd put OBJ, Landry, Chubb/Hunt as being better than DJ, Anderson, and CMAC...in fact, give me the Panthers skill position guys everytime.

I certainly wouldn't want to bank on him fantasy wise, but he's certainly capable of being good enough to not drag down DJ, Anderson or CMAC. Not likely good enough to elevate them, but much better than anything they've had since Cam fell apart...assuming he's still got the QB of his 1st 3 years in him, and has left last year's version behind him.
I'll bet Mayfield falls flat in 2022.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll bet Mayfield falls flat in 2022.
I dunno...I've got this weird feeling that '22 will be his best statistical season yet (and I still don't want him as anything but a bottom barrel backup in fantasy, so it ain't saying much)

If he's got any gumption at all, he's certainly been given the motivation

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also look at it this way, Mayfield was the #1 overall pick. Good or bad, he WILL get his chances. Even after Carolina. Number 1 picks tend to linger in the league.

And who knows, CLE might be like CHI - where QB go to blend into obscurity. Might be the best thing for him to get out.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also look at it this way, Mayfield was the #1 overall pick. Good or bad, he WILL get his chances. Even after Carolina. Number 1 picks tend to linger in the league.

And who knows, CLE might be like CHI - where QB go to blend into obscurity. Might be the best thing for him to get out.
I sure he will, but first Darnold will be given ever chance to earn the starting position because the Panthers are paying him way more and gave up way more to get him. I expect to see musical chair at the QB position for the Panthers.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

and then theres this

Speaking on the Ya Never Know podcast, Baker Mayfield noted that he tore his labrum in Week 2 and fractured a bone in his shoulder in Week 6 of the 2021 season.​

“So I tore my labrum completely, like full front and like basically 90 percent in the back. That was Week 2. I did that in the first half. Played the rest of the game, I was fine. ... Four weeks later, we were playing the Cardinals, and I dislocated my shoulder again. But I dislocated it so bad and at a different angle that the bone, like the humerus that goes up into your shoulder socket, like the big bone right here [that] comes up into your ball and socket and it forced its way out. And I fractured the bone because it wasn’t gonna be a clean exit. So I fractured the bone. So when I had the labrum done and that fracture, the inflammation and everything, I had no function in my left shoulder," Mayfield elaborated. As much as we poke fun at Mayfield, it's not hard to empathize with him for playing through this and being irked that the Browns went out and got a new quarterback.

Barilko

Probably at hockey or some dam concert you tell me
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great insight and takes on Mayfield gang each and everyone of ya....
I would love to give ya mine...oh wait @TREFF sorry bud :suds: NHL Draft tonight ...and look if i walk up the street i can almost see it getting ready to start :suds:

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sure he will, but first Darnold will be given ever chance to earn the starting position because the Panthers are paying him way more and gave up way more to get him. I expect to see musical chair at the QB position for the Panthers.
Don't buy that one. Again salary is insignificant when the rubber meets the road. It'll assure his roster spot, and not much else. As to what they gave up for him? Well that taste is still fresh in the mouth and those chances were surely spent last year..otherwise, why be in the market for every possible QB out there? Teams are getting MUCH better at just swallowing their mistakes and moving on

18 million for a QB is barely more than chump change. They could release him tomorrow and still be under the cap by 15+ million. And until the Walmart family bought the Broncos, Tepper was the richest NFL owner with over 16B in value. I'm not so sure 18 mill is going to be a deciding factor in anything.

Its very obvious that even the '21 version of Baker Mayfield is leaps and bounds above where Sam Darnold has fallen to. I have no doubts they will stage a 'competition', but the only way Mayfield doesn't win that is if he shows up drunk/baked/burnt. And everyone in Carolina is well aware of who and what Darnold is, Mayfield would have to be absolutely putrid to have anyone calling for a change midseason.

Being a born and bred Cornhusker and Mayfield being a Sooner, I can assure you I have no love whatsoever for the kid, but I'm having a hard time understanding why you are where you are on the guy..he really aint' all that bad. Average at best for sure, but at least he's got 'average' in his repertoire.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great insight and takes on Mayfield gang each and everyone of ya....
I would love to give ya mine...oh wait @TREFF sorry bud :suds: NHL Draft tonight ...and look if i walk up the street i can almost see it getting ready to start :suds:
they televise that? is it public access channel 95?

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and then theres this

Speaking on the Ya Never Know podcast, Baker Mayfield noted that he tore his labrum in Week 2 and fractured a bone in his shoulder in Week 6 of the 2021 season.​

“So I tore my labrum completely, like full front and like basically 90 percent in the back. That was Week 2. I did that in the first half. Played the rest of the game, I was fine. ... Four weeks later, we were playing the Cardinals, and I dislocated my shoulder again. But I dislocated it so bad and at a different angle that the bone, like the humerus that goes up into your shoulder socket, like the big bone right here [that] comes up into your ball and socket and it forced its way out. And I fractured the bone because it wasn’t gonna be a clean exit. So I fractured the bone. So when I had the labrum done and that fracture, the inflammation and everything, I had no function in my left shoulder," Mayfield elaborated. As much as we poke fun at Mayfield, it's not hard to empathize with him for playing through this and being irked that the Browns went out and got a new quarterback.
Definitely could explain why '21 numbers were so far skewed from his first 3 years. I really don't understand the negative takes on him.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't buy that one. Again salary is insignificant when the rubber meets the road. It'll assure his roster spot, and not much else. As to what they gave up for him? Well that taste is still fresh in the mouth and those chances were surely spent last year..otherwise, why be in the market for every possible QB out there? Teams are getting MUCH better at just swallowing their mistakes and moving on

18 million for a QB is barely more than chump change. They could release him tomorrow and still be under the cap by 15+ million. And until the Walmart family bought the Broncos, Tepper was the richest NFL owner with over 16B in value. I'm not so sure 18 mill is going to be a deciding factor in anything.

Its very obvious that even the '21 version of Baker Mayfield is leaps and bounds above where Sam Darnold has fallen to. I have no doubts they will stage a 'competition', but the only way Mayfield doesn't win that is if he shows up drunk/baked/burnt. And everyone in Carolina is well aware of who and what Darnold is, Mayfield would have to be absolutely putrid to have anyone calling for a change midseason.

Being a born and bred Cornhusker and Mayfield being a Sooner, I can assure you I have no love whatsoever for the kid, but I'm having a hard time understanding why you are where you are on the guy..he really aint' all that bad. Average at best for sure, but at least he's got 'average' in his repertoire.
Yes when the rubber meets the road the money Darnold makes won't matter, but Darnold will be given the chance to be on the road and given the chance and Mayfield will have to demonstrate he's better otherwise Darnold will get the tie breaker.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes when the rubber meets the road the money Darnold makes won't matter, but Darnold will be given the chance to be on the road and given the chance and Mayfield will have to demonstrate he's better otherwise Darnold will get the tie breaker.
I guess my take on that would be Baker would win the tiebreaker, as Darnold has already proven to everyone in Carolina that he ain't it, so IF it were to be a tie, why not try something different?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess my take on that would be Baker would win the tiebreaker, as Darnold has already proven to everyone in Carolina that he ain't it, so IF it were to be a tie, why not try something different?
My guess is we see different QBs starting during the season for the Panthers.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Mayfield ends up not being a better option, than they may as well just throw Corral out there

I think they should give the rook every bit of a chance to win the starting job outright from Baker and Darnold

Bandit

RIP to the real Bandit
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I think it's only going to matter this year because I highly doubt either of them makes a strong case to be kept after this year and since they are probably going to finish under .500 then Rhule will lose his job and whoever they hire next year will want to start over from scratch. So most likely both Mayfield and Darnold are let go so they can start over with Corral or the guy they take in the top 10 next year.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I think it's only going to matter this year because I highly doubt either of them makes a strong case to be kept after this year and since they are probably going to finish under .500 then Rhule will lose his job and whoever they hire next year will want to start over from scratch. So most likely both Mayfield and Darnold are let go so they can start over with Corral or the guy they take in the top 10 next year.
I dunno..NFC isn't too tough
There's LAR, maybe SF, GB, maybe MINN, DALL or Philly, and TB..and virtually everyone else in the same soup of suck, and getting to play ATL, and NO twice, the Browns week one which will be Brisett, the GMen, the QB-Less Seahawks, and the Lions...they'd almost have to try to finish sub 500