• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

"Expert" Rankings... in season

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can someone please explain to me what the sense is of having in-season rankings? I listen to podcasts, mainly because I'm an obsessed baseball fan who just likes to listen to baseball talk... but I must say, it drives me nuts to hear these guys saying, "yeah, I dropped him a few spots in my rankings, because blah, blah, blah..." Is it bad that this bothers me so much? Because it does.

:noidea:
:wtf2:

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ITs a lot like power rankings!!! its silly, but there is some useful information...

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe only peripherally related, but I think that the Player Rater on the espn.com fantasy site can be pretty informative for helping to decide which players one might consider picking up. For example, the Player Rater has Emilio Bonifocio rated sixth and twelfth, respectively, at the moment. Boni is unowned in about 15% of all leagues and Pagan is unowned in over 30% of all leagues. To the extent that both continue to play well (which, of course, isn't at all certain), the Player Rater could help fantasy players improve their rosters.

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ehh.. They serve their purpose to an extent. But generally it only applies to the bottom third of your roster, and some possible waiver moves. Everyone else, you're gonna start em regardless of whether they deserve to be moved down a few spots or not.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can someone please explain to me what the sense is of having in-season rankings? I listen to podcasts, mainly because I'm an obsessed baseball fan who just likes to listen to baseball talk... but I must say, it drives me nuts to hear these guys saying, "yeah, I dropped him a few spots in my rankings, because blah, blah, blah..." Is it bad that this bothers me so much? Because it does.

:noidea:
:wtf2:

I actually wrote an article about rankings lists in general, will post the link later if interested.

Rank lists are best used to help establish what a player's market value is. While important for drafting, it is equally important for determining a player's trade value. Value's fluctuate over the season and these lists help determine reasonable costs for players.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone else, you're gonna start em regardless of whether they deserve to be moved down a few spots or not.

Rank lists are best used to help establish what a player's market value is. While important for drafting, it is equally important for determining a player's trade value. Value's fluctuate over the season and these lists help determine reasonable costs for players.

Okay, this makes sense, although every owner (in real leagues) has different trade value for every player. I guess it's more for the layman FBB players out there. Still, it drives me crazy to hear "experts" rise and fall players because of one-week stats, and sometimes even one-night stats (cough, cough Matt Kemp). Totally contradicting themselves from prior weeks. Funny I guess... and free, so I'm not really complaining....

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh... and I was gonna say I agree with what Treff stated.