• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Expansion

Tomas Tatar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone been following this? Vegas scouting happening at the moment. Have to think they're confident in Quebec City and Seattle. Could add in a Milwaukee or second team to Toronto.

KHL has hit a rough patch and have skill. USA hock development has been really, really good. Great timeframe. I really think it happens soon.

Harry Crack

Best 8 sec's of her life
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gary has a grand master plan..........it's mostly nonsense , but a plan just the same

Tomas Tatar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gary has a grand master plan..........it's mostly nonsense , but a plan just the same

I see much success in Seattle and QC though. Looking at the drafts, they're really getting deeper and deeper. New markets are being used. US is bigger than ever. Germany, Slovakia, etc, are really picking up steam.

KHLs money is low right now... I just think right now-ish, perfect time.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Move Phoenix to Seattle, Florida to Milwaukee...there, expansion complete, and the conferences are balanced again.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Move Phoenix to Seattle, Florida to Milwaukee...there, expansion complete, and the conferences are balanced again.

It's not even my idea so much as Roenick's... HE's the one that's good.

Last edited by a moderator:

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a fan. I just think about the talent pool being diluted too much. I DO think that there are cities that would do well with a hockey team (Quebec, Seattle, I even think Vegas could probably work), but I don't like the idea of what that could mean to the teams already around.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

^^^^^ OH HELLS YES

Jared Boll, Scott Gomez, Shawn Thornton, and Dominic Roussell all have regular jobs in the NHL. I am not convinced the "talent pool" will support expansion.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a fan. I just think about the talent pool being diluted too much. I DO think that there are cities that would do well with a hockey team (Quebec, Seattle, I even think Vegas could probably work), but I don't like the idea of what that could mean to the teams already around.

The talent pool is diluted as it is and nobody gives a damn. The league added 9 damn teams in the 90s and the supply of NHL-calibre talent simply hasn't kept pace with the growth of hockey overall. In fact, given how restrictive the sport is to play at a young age due to cost, it wouldn't shock me if we start seeing an even steeper decline in the talent pool eventually.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^^ OH HELLS YES

Jared Boll, Scott Gomez, Shawn Thornton, and Dominic Roussell all have regular jobs in the NHL. I am not convinced the "talent pool" will support expansion.

Wait I didn't know there was still a market for old, over the hill and/or ex-Flyer goalies in the NHL?

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for expansion no, relocation maybe to Quebec, Seattle, Milwaukee but not sure I like Vegas. Not sure there is enough of a home core available when conventions are in a lull.

On the other hand every All-Star game should be played in Vegas.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for expansion no, relocation maybe to Quebec, Seattle, Milwaukee but not sure I like Vegas. Not sure there is enough of a home core available when conventions are in a lull.

On the other hand the All-Star Game should be abolished.

FIFY

Burghfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over again and expecting the same result. Hockey didn't work in the desert of Arizona, why do they think it will work in the desert of Nevada?

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over again and expecting the same result. Hockey didn't work in the desert of Arizona, why do they think it will work in the desert of Nevada?

Bettman4.jpg

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait I didn't know there was still a market for old, over the hill and/or ex-Flyer goalies in the NHL?

:L

And by Dominic, I meant Antoine.

Caffeine IV to 43's desk. STAT!

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The talent pool is diluted as it is and nobody gives a damn. The league added 9 damn teams in the 90s and the supply of NHL-calibre talent simply hasn't kept pace with the growth of hockey overall. In fact, given how restrictive the sport is to play at a young age due to cost, it wouldn't shock me if we start seeing an even steeper decline in the talent pool eventually.

I agree, it is diluted. Even for teams that are responsible and draft savvy, their depth is tested with only a few injuries. One argument is that you need to expand the league to market to young kids elsewhere, so you grow the game and thereby grow the talent pool. It's worked in some markets, but that doesn't change the fact that the game is reserved only for those who can afford it. I don't know if there's a solution there. I know in Pittsburgh Sid has a program that supplies equipment to kids. But, if there's one thing we know about kids, it's that they grow too fast for their own good. I could go down a rabbit hole here, but man I hope if I have kids that want to play the game, I can afford to let them. When I was younger I asked to play, but there wasn't enough opportunity for young girls, so it didn't happen. That still bums me out. I was a sad 8 year old that day. Back on topic though: there's not enough talent to go around, even with European countries churning out talent more these days. The league would NEED more Russians to come over, and for some reason the NHL transition has always been hardest on Russians.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When it comes down to it, I don't mind Bettman considering pursuing a cash rich area like Vegas. But the opportunity costs need to be considered. I'm assuming a potential expansion would have to be approved by the board of governors, correct?