• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Evaluating early Heisman odds - ESPN Insider

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part 1 of 2

Evaluating early Heisman Trophy odds college football 2015 - Travis Haney Blog - ESPN
By Travis Haney

Bovada’s Heisman Trophy odds hit the Internet this week. Per the site’s wisdom, Ohio State running back Ezekiel Elliott (6-1) has the best shot to win the award in December.

Quarterbacks have won 12 of the past 13 Heisman awards, so it’s interesting to see running backs with three of the four best odds for 2015. In addition to Elliott, LSU’s Leonard Fournette (15-2) and Georgia’s Nick Chubb (8-1) are among the early favorites. Fournette and Chubb will be sophomores.

Scanning the other options, some of the numbers look off. Here are players whose odds will shrink and balloon between now and December.

Good buys

Cody Kessler, USC QB (12-1): Given that stat about quarterbacks winning the award just about every year, Kessler stands out as someone who could quickly rise. It’s surprising he isn’t in the single digits, actually, considering he completed 70 percent of his passes and had a 39-5 TD-INT rate in 2014.

If USC makes a run at the College Football Playoff -- many inside the sport believe it has a legit shot -- Kessler will be a huge part of it and will vault up Heisman boards.

Deshaun Watson, Clemson QB (20-1): Some of the cautious handicapping is justified. When Watson was on the field, he showed as a freshman that he is as purely talented as any quarterback in the country. But staying on the field was an issue. First it was a collarbone in the spring, then a hand injury, then -- the worst -- a torn ACL. Watson is expected to be a go by preseason camp, but he has to shake that injury-prone tag to make 20-1 a value. He is as intriguing a choice as there is on the board, however.

Seth Russell, Baylor QB (33-1): Like a lot of coaches, Art Briles hates the “system QB” label. When you think about it, though, it’s a compliment that Briles can continue to have sustainable success from one QB to the next.

Baylor will miss Bryce Petty, but only to a point. Briles and his staff already think there are things Russell can do that Petty could not. If Russell puts up the same eye-popping numbers Petty did and Baylor is in the Big 12 and national conversations, Russell could certainly make a run at New York.

Jared Goff, Cal QB (50-1): Goff’s numbers (62 percent completion rate, 35 TDs, 7 INTs) were in the same ballpark as Kessler’s, which is quite the compliment, considering Cal is still working its way back and doesn’t have nearly the skill-player firepower of USC.

There’s a sense from Pac-12 folks that Goff -- a QB prototype at 6-foot-4, 210 pounds -- could really break out in his third season and elevate his name on NFL draft boards. The Heisman radar could very well work in concert with Goff’s professional prospects.

Scooby Wright III, Arizona LB (66-1): Some candidates need a year or two to make themselves known to voters and the general public. Robert Griffin III was an example.

With that in mind, there’s a growing awareness of Wright after his sophomore season with 163 tackles, 29 tackles for a loss (14 of them sacks) and six forced fumbles.

Those are stronger numbers than the ones that put Notre Dame’s Manti Te'o in the hunt. Wright won the Nagurski, Lombardi and Bednarik awards in 2014. Will he win the Heisman in ’15? He’s a defensive player, so be realistic. But can he get to NYC as a finalist? Absolutely. If you can find that as a prop, go for it.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Avoid

Everett Golson, Florida State QB (14-1): This feels foolish. Golson was a turnover machine in 2014. He was going to lose his starting job at Notre Dame to Malik Zaire before bolting. We’re supposed to believe he’s going to transfer to FSU and instantly become a superstar? It’s a stretch, at best.

Seminoles coach Jimbo Fisher’s system is complicated. There is bound to be a learning curve for a new QB. Plus, Fisher seems comfortable with Sean Maguire as his starter, so there’s no guarantee Golson plays at all.

On top of that, the FSU QB will be surrounded mostly by youth and inexperience at the skill positions and on the offensive line. There’s no good reason to expect an FSU QB, Golson or Maguire, to win a Heisman Trophy. If someone forced me to bet one of the two, I’d take Maguire. He’s the likely starter.

Braxton Miller, Ohio State QB (25-1): The playmaking ability is unquestioned. Just about everything else is, at this point: Miller's durability, how he’ll respond to shoulder surgery -- including when he’ll be cleared -- and, of course, the three-way competition for the starting job, a race with a decided leader in Cardale Jones.

If anything, Miller has to be considered a long shot for the Heisman. Setting him at 25-1 would have been generous, even if Jones and J.T. Barrett had not emerged, just because of health concerns.

On the off-chance Miller transfers, it’s not as if the calendar for his shoulder recovery will change. Nor will the fact that, even when healthy, he hasn’t proven himself a consistent passer.

Justin Thomas, Georgia Tech QB (33-1): Thomas is good. So is his team. But let’s not get carried away. He is still a Georgia Tech quarterback. He will not throw enough to merit serious consideration.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bovada Heisman Odds (link is first one in the article)

Top 15

Ezekiel Elliot (RB, Ohio State) - 6/1
Leonard Fornette (RB, LSU) - 15/2
Dak Prescott (QB, Mississippi State) - 8/1
Nick Chubb (RB, Georgia) - 8/1
Trevone Boykin (QB, TCU) - 8/1
Cardale Jones (QB, Ohio State) - 12/1
Cody Kessler (QB, USC) - 12/1
Everett Gohlston (QB, Florida State) - 14/1
Derrick Henry (RB, Alabama) - 16/1
Paul Perkins (RB, UCLA) - 18/1
Connor Cook (QB, Michigan State) - 20/1
Deshaun Watson (QB, Clemson) - 20/1
Jeremy Johnson (QB, Auburn) - 20/1
Samaje Perine (RB, Oklahoma) - 20/1
Braxton Miller (QB, Ohio State) - 25/1

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see how Haney says a LB could possibly be a good buy. Just like I said about Amare Cooper last year. He could be the best ever at his position and not win. WRs have 1 stat primarily (receiving). RBs can run and catch. QBs pass and run. LBs are on defense. If Suh had no shot, I think Wright III has no shot, even if he is best LB ever.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cardale Jones should be higher.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who gives a shit about the Heisman anymore? Winning the award literally means nothing in the NFL, or college for that matter

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who gives a shit about the Heisman anymore? Winning the award literally means nothing in the NFL, or college for that matter
I hate how it's consistently just a QB award. I wish it was truly handed out to the best player in CFB and not just the most skilled QB they can pick out. Some years, especially recently, there haven't been any QB's truly deserving of the crown.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there something everyone else knows about Corey Clement that I don't? He approached 1,000 yards last year while running behind a guy who had almost 2,600 yards. Even if Clement only carries the ball 275 times and he only gets the only 6.5 YPC he got last year, that's still 1,800 yards. Does anybody really see Fournette approaching those numbers?

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there something everyone else knows about Corey Clement that I don't? He approached 1,000 yards last year while running behind a guy who had almost 2,600 yards. Even if Clement only carries the ball 275 times and he only gets the only 6.5 YPC he got last year, that's still 1,800 yards. Does anybody really see Fournette approaching those numbers?

I like Clement for reasons you stated. I would put him below Cardale Jones but above Derrick Henry.

I am not going to repeat what you said, but for those reasons. Wisconsin has, what seems like, a weak schedule. And Clement is definitely their biggest threat. If Wisconsin 10+ wins, he will be a big reason for it, and will be considered one of the best RBs in the country. I see no reason not to consider that going into the season.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate how it's consistently just a QB award. I wish it was truly handed out to the best player in CFB and not just the most skilled QB they can pick out. Some years, especially recently, there haven't been any QB's truly deserving of the crown.
You do realize more running backs have won the heisman than quarterbacks correct?

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part 1 of 2

Evaluating early Heisman Trophy odds college football 2015 - Travis Haney Blog - ESPN
By Travis Haney

Bovada’s Heisman Trophy odds hit the Internet this week. Per the site’s wisdom, Ohio State running back Ezekiel Elliott (6-1) has the best shot to win the award in December.

Quarterbacks have won 12 of the past 13 Heisman awards, so it’s interesting to see running backs with three of the four best odds for 2015. In addition to Elliott, LSU’s Leonard Fournette (15-2) and Georgia’s Nick Chubb (8-1) are among the early favorites. Fournette and Chubb will be sophomores.

Scanning the other options, some of the numbers look off. Here are players whose odds will shrink and balloon between now and December.

You do realize more running backs have won the heisman than quarterbacks correct?

He is referring to the statement in the article that is part of the original post.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is referring to the statement in the article that is part of the original post.
I still can't buy into ESPN the best players over that stretch have been qbs. In a lot of cases the 2nd best payers were qbs. I think referring to the heisman as a qb award based on that stretch is a bit of a stretch

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still can't buy into ESPN the best players over that stretch have been qbs. In a lot of cases the 2nd best payers were qbs. I think referring to the heisman as a qb award based on that stretch is a bit of a stretch

ESPN writer said he was shocked that Vegas has so many RBs up there considering 12 of the last 13 have been QBs. Ironically, that 1 RB who won it recently is the biggest snub IMO. Not because I don't like Mark Ingram, but Suh deserved it.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At first I thought Perine might have a shot, but I think Mixon is going to be too big of a weapon and will take enough touches from him to probably keep him shy a couple games.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, in total, not recently. I'm talking about what it has become. 13 of the last 15 has been QBs.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He got a lot of yards against bad teams, in the 4th quarter when games were blowouts. Almost half of his production came against Bowling Green, Illinois and Rutgers. If not for Illinois' two late meaningless td's, Wisconsin won those games by an average of 48-10.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN writer said he was shocked that Vegas has so many RBs up there considering 12 of the last 13 have been QBs. Ironically, that 1 RB who won it recently is the biggest snub IMO. Not because I don't like Mark Ingram, but Suh deserved it.
Ingram wasnt even the best back that year, that was Gerhart

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ingram wasnt even the best back that year, that was Gerhart

I actually think Ingram was the best RB that year, but the fact he had competition for best RB is the reason Suh deserved it more IMO.

I might be mistaken, but Suh won every award a DT could win except for Heisman. Ingram didn't even win the Doak Walker Award, but did play for the undefeated Alabama team. I truly believe that is why Ingram won, that and he was a RB.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He got a lot of yards against bad teams, in the 4th quarter when games were blowouts. Almost half of his production came against Bowling Green, Illinois and Rutgers. If not for Illinois' two late meaningless td's, Wisconsin won those games by an average of 48-10.

Also 105 yards vs Auburn
90 vs Maryland
69 vs Minnesota

But how many back up running backs on good teams nearly reach 1,000 yards no matter the schedule?