• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ESPN's Take On M's

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle Mariners
2014: 87-75, +80
2015 projection: 88-74, +65

The Steamer projection system that FanGraphs uses has the Mariners as the best team in the American League. But games aren't won via projection systems!

How the Mariners can make the postseason for the first time since 2001:

1. Felix Hernandez and Hisashi Iwakuma both have to stay healthy. There is little depth in the rotation, so a major injury to one of their workhorses could be catastrophic, especially considering young starters James Paxton and Taijuan Walker both had injury issues in 2014.

2. They need Paxton and Walker to deliver on their potential.

3. Nelson Cruz has to be worth the money. He doesn't have to hit 40 home runs like he did with Baltimore, but he needs to stay on the field and produce that right-handed power in Seattle's lefty-leaning lineup.

4. Production from the leadoff spot. That probably means Austin Jackson, who was terrible after coming over from Detroit.

5. Better offense and defense from Brad Miller. He's been in trade rumors all offseason and now there's the idea that he turns into a hybrid shortstop/right fielder (platooning with Justin Ruggiano). Miller hit .221/.288/.365 last year, but Steamer projects a .252/.314/.395 line and he has more potential than that if he can hit lefties better.

6. More of the same from lineup linchpins Robinson Cano and Kyle Seager.

7. More tightrope walking from Fernando Rodney. Seattle's bullpen had an MLB-best 2.52 ERA last season, and they are bringing back everyone except Joe Beimel. Some regression is likely. While the M's have depth behind Rodney, he's still a big key as the ninth-inning guy.

8. Mike Zunino has to improve his awful approach/OBP. Yes, he hit 22 home runs, but that came with a .199 average and .254 OBP (and that was helped because he got hit by a league-leading 17 pitches). Is he simply the new J.P. Arencibia or will he be something better?

The Mariners have core players in their prime years and excellent front-line talent in Felix, Cano, Seager and Iwakuma. I'd still like them to acquire another hitter to give them more depth, and they have a big problem in center field if Jackson doesn't hit. The strides made in 2014 appear legitimate, but can they go farther in 2015?

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that is spot on, if all the positives on there happen then without question they will make the playoffs but if any of those if's happen then they will be on the outside looking in.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And as we all know, the 'ifs' always play a major role in a given season. I guess I would love for once to have a team projected high at 100 wins and worst case scenario at 90 instead of best case at 90. Life as a M's fan I guess.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And as we all know, the 'ifs' always play a major role in a given season. I guess I would love for once to have a team projected high at 100 wins and worst case scenario at 90 instead of best case at 90. Life as a M's fan I guess.

Or it'd be nice if injuries was the main reason that would keep them out of the playoffs not the if they play well above their career statistics.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. I just hate getting average players and people going nuts over them. Cruz is above average and nobody else we got is. That simple. We have so many below average players that adding average players doesn't make us better.

I keep reading how Cubs are trying to win this year (Lester was a big signing) so why would they trade Ruggiano if he is such a LH killer and good glove? He is cheap so it isn't money. And for the record, I like the addition as a 4th OF, but our OF is so bad he is actually one of the better ones.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should've added something about Ackley and Morrison.

These are two huge question marks. Morrison is extremely streaky and despite the fact that he finished with a decent line, there were times that he completely disappeared from the lineup.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am with you.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that is another spot on article, they added but also subtracted. If all those if's do happen then the M's should be fine, but the problem is Jack is building the team where they need so many if's to go right to contend instead of building it to where if the if's goes wrong they won't contend.