• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ESPN's Article On Strike Zone

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players getting agitated with perceived strike zone inconsistency

Matt Holliday was ejected by umpire Joe West on Tuesday night after a brief argument about a strike-three call, contributing to the end of Holliday's 45-game on-base streak, and within this clip, you can hear the usually understated Holliday yelling, "The strike zone's huge the whole night."

I have heard more complaints from players and staffers this year than in any year I can remember about what they believe is the inconsistency of the strike zone, especially how large they perceive it to be, with more strikes being called (in their view) off the outside corner.

Part of the reason for the growing tension is that now, in 2015, hitters can and will go back into the clubhouse and see the electronic data supporting their contention that a pitch was out of the strike zone. The other night, Cardinals third baseman Matt Carpenter kept repeating himself in a discussion with an umpire, saying over and over "That's not a strike."

It's increasingly difficult for umpires to maintain that yes, in fact, it was a strike, or the ball clipped the corner, given the technology that everyone now sees instantly.

The unhappiness within the game over this situation is rising, and in past years, you would dismiss this as part of the ebb and flow of the game. But new MLB commissioner Rob Manfred has demonstrated himself to be someone who will take action, relatively quickly. For example, the other night, when he was in the ESPN broadcast booth with Mark Mulder during the first game of the Milwaukee-St. Louis series, he was asked about the issue of pitchers using foreign substances, and he indicated that providing more of a tacky feel on the baseball was something that MLB intended to explore.

So if this persists, if the voices of the players and staffers grows strength, and examinations like this one, by Jon Roegele of The Hardball Times, continue to appear, something is going to happen. If MLB perceives this to be a problem, there is going to be action, there is going to be change, because the sport is becoming increasingly like everything else in this society, evolving faster and faster.

Mariners manager Lloyd McClendon got his money's worth in an ejection Tuesday. And the response to McClendon's rant from the home crowd in Seattle is part of the reason MLB will never put a stop to managers arguing with umpires. It's part of the show.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me too. Me too.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right when he kicked his hat it was de ja vu

Yup at that point, I was yelling at my TV to go get some of the 3rd base umpire. His blown call was the worse of the two.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players getting agitated with perceived strike zone inconsistency

Matt Holliday was ejected by umpire Joe West on Tuesday night after a brief argument about a strike-three call, contributing to the end of Holliday's 45-game on-base streak, and within this clip, you can hear the usually understated Holliday yelling, "The strike zone's huge the whole night."

I have heard more complaints from players and staffers this year than in any year I can remember about what they believe is the inconsistency of the strike zone, especially how large they perceive it to be, with more strikes being called (in their view) off the outside corner.

Part of the reason for the growing tension is that now, in 2015, hitters can and will go back into the clubhouse and see the electronic data supporting their contention that a pitch was out of the strike zone. The other night, Cardinals third baseman Matt Carpenter kept repeating himself in a discussion with an umpire, saying over and over "That's not a strike."

It's increasingly difficult for umpires to maintain that yes, in fact, it was a strike, or the ball clipped the corner, given the technology that everyone now sees instantly.

The unhappiness within the game over this situation is rising, and in past years, you would dismiss this as part of the ebb and flow of the game. But new MLB commissioner Rob Manfred has demonstrated himself to be someone who will take action, relatively quickly. For example, the other night, when he was in the ESPN broadcast booth with Mark Mulder during the first game of the Milwaukee-St. Louis series, he was asked about the issue of pitchers using foreign substances, and he indicated that providing more of a tacky feel on the baseball was something that MLB intended to explore.

So if this persists, if the voices of the players and staffers grows strength, and examinations like this one, by Jon Roegele of The Hardball Times, continue to appear, something is going to happen. If MLB perceives this to be a problem, there is going to be action, there is going to be change, because the sport is becoming increasingly like everything else in this society, evolving faster and faster.

Mariners manager Lloyd McClendon got his money's worth in an ejection Tuesday. And the response to McClendon's rant from the home crowd in Seattle is part of the reason MLB will never put a stop to managers arguing with umpires. It's part of the show.

The strike zone has been enormous this year. I thought the league was looking for a way to increase offense in the game? You don't do that by adding an extra two inches to all four sides of the strike zone. It makes me think that the bigger strike zone was 'implemented' to speed up the game without consideration to how it would affect the offense.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man when Lloyd blew up its like man I miss Lou.
Sweet Lou - the golden era of mariner baseball. I sometimes image a coaching staff of Piniella proteges.
Manager - Dan Wilson
Pitching coach - Jamie Moyer
Hitting coach - Edgar Matrinez
Bench coach - Joey Cora
Third base coach - Mark McLemore
First base coach - Rich Amaral

Msfann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You all see me rant about the strike zone almost every game. After last year we got to see all of those graphs showing how the strike zone is/what it should be and it was HORRIBLE.

Its much worse this year.

This year its like they need a bat the size of a jousting pole to reach the outside of the strike zone.

Msfann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
big-bat1.jpg

2016 baseball bats to solve the wide strike zone problem.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You want to see a big strike zone, watch a high school game.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You want to see a big strike zone, watch a high school game.
Don't want to see a big strike zone. Don't want to see a small strike zone. i want to see a strike zone that is the actual strike zone in the rule book.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All this talk about large strike zones. you'd think our Closer could find it every once ina while.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two changes I would love to see in MLB;

1- Use softball style 1B before someone gets hurt seriously. Too many near collisions and/or ankle twisting with two players trying to step on one base.

2- Use pitch tracker as the ball/strike caller. Done with bad umps who are getting worse and more power hungry. Players game, not umps game.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care about this particular tradition or how long they have done it this way.

It's always been insane to me that you have a guy in charge of calling balls and strikes who is in the most asinine position to do so. It's only because we have been doing it so long people don't realize how stupid it is. And this is before you factor in any human error you would have even if the ump had a perfect front view of the strike zone.

I know it's heresy to some but i will say it anyway: Digital Strike Zone

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought it was just me.

I feel like when I'm watching the game on TV, there have been a lot more balls this year that look like strikes getting called balls and balls being called strikes. It really has gone both ways.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya that is my biggest problem is the inconsistency. If all umps call all the same pitches either balls or strikes consistent, then hitters adjust and no issues. But it varies ump to ump and sometimes inning to inning.