• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

espn about martinez maybe getting boot

landon410

In the deed the glory
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sunday's Taylor Martinez drama is in the rearview mirror now, but will it stay there? Dirk Chatelain of the Omaha World-Herald details multiple incidents since August in which Martinez has defied coach Bo Pelini, from speaking to his father during games to missing a practice and another team gathering.

Chatelain writes that these incidents raise the question of whether Martinez is committed to the team. Chatelain describes Martinez as a bit of a loner who hasn't made a lot of close friends within the program, and that he "comes across too often as an independent contractor -- a mercenary."

Allowing Martinez to operate with a different set of rules could hurt team chemistry, says Chatelain, and "if Martinez can't commit unconditionally, then at some point Pelini must make the decision for him."

"(Martinez's) personality and intangibles don't fit the profile of a starting quarterback," Chatelain writes. "At least not right now."

Are these incidents over? Will Martinez find his way, much like Eric Crouch, who briefly quit the team two years before he won the Heisman? Or will Pelini cut bait with Martinez after the season?

We can't imagine the latter coming to pass, but it will be interesting to see what happens if redshirting freshman Brion Carnes or recruits Jamal Turner or Bubba Starling prove to be a viable option next summer.

- Albert Lin

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watson has been quoted as referring to Martinez as "a different dude". Remember the way D.J. Jones reacted when he was told that Martinez had said that "it's my team and no one elses". He looked like he wanted to find Martinez right then and there and strangle him.

I hope the dude can just shut his mouth and play. He seems suuuuuper immature. We'll see how it plays out, but for a dude that acts like he hates attention, he has been acting like quite the diva.

Nebraska885

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Chatelain has a little man crush on Taylor. I heard him on 1620 am and all he did during the game was watch Taylor's reactions....he has issues and I don't take anything that he has written as gospel.

In my opinion,

Taylor probably has issues but he's a kid. If he transfers; it would be to Division 2; where he can run and play right away without sitting out a year but won't get any publicity. As much as he appears to detest the media; I'm sure he enjoys the attention. He's a quarterback. Quarterbacks want to win at the highest level and he's no different.

iruletheskool

iruleiskool
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that Chatelain article was really close to spot on..

and Taylor would transfer to UCLA, not division 2..

Nebraska885

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I heard the same rumors about UCLA. If he goes to UCLA; he sits out another year and has two to play (that's if he goes after this season). If he goes the Division 2; he doesn't have to waste a year.

It's my understanding that UCLA loves their Sophmore QB Richard Brehaut with tons of freshman and other soph QB's on the roster. Richard fits what UCLA does and has done in the past. If Martinez goes this route; then it will prove without any doubt he's an idiot. All college players want to win and he's the # 1 guy at Nebraska, plays for a top 10 school in Nebraska, Nebraska plays defense unlike UCLA which produces wins, and the fans already love him here.

I would bet that Chatelain hasn't even talked with the guy...