• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Escape at MSG vs. St. Johns Shows Syracuse is Not a Dominant Team.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After that nail-biter against the Red Storm, I think we can all agree that the Fighting Anthropomorphic Citruses up in Syracuse still have some work to do before they can be considered a dominant (or even #1) team.

Great Dayne

I was right even if you believe I was wrong
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no proven dominant team that is head and shoulders above everyone else this year except my Badgers obviously :whistle:

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
big difference between this game & the zona-UM game is that syracuse was the dominate team for most of the game whereas zona was the inferior team for 38 min and pulled a win out of their a.ss

and as for this game.

at no point in the game was SU down by more than 2 pts

SU was behind for less than a min of playing time in the ENTIRE game

SU never lost the lead in the last 4 min of the game.

SU had a 7 point lead with 25 seconds left

does than sound anything like escaping with a win?

nope....trolly is just showing his stupidity :whistle:

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's funny. What I saw was an Orange team that managed to get to a respectable lead at halftime, and then get outplayed for the majority of the 2nd half. (that's why their lead continued to shrink for most of the 2nd half) What I saw was an Orange team that couldn't put an inferior opponent away. What I saw was a team that failed to make adjustments in the 2nd half and nearly gave on away. What I saw was a forward that couldn't hit some clutch free throws at the end of the game to secure a win for his team. What I saw was a CU student who can't count.

Did they win? Yeah Was it respectable? Yeah.

Were they dominant? Nope. Not even a little.

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's funny. What I saw was an Orange team that managed to get to a respectable lead at halftime, and then get outplayed for the majority of the 2nd half. (that's why their lead continued to shrink for most of the 2nd half) What I saw was an Orange team that couldn't put an inferior opponent away. What I saw was a team that failed to make adjustments in the 2nd half and nearly gave on away. What I saw was a forward that couldn't hit some clutch free throws at the end of the game to secure a win for his team. What I saw was a CU student who can't count.

Did they win? Yeah Was it respectable? Yeah.

Were they dominant? Nope. Not even a little.

yeah i am not gonna get tripped up on a decent st johnies team giving cuse a lil bit of a road bump. this is not a traditional ooc matchup considering that its a rivalry game against a team that knows our playing style.

they had one heck of a better showing than zona did at michigan & you know it

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other big differences between the SU/SJ game and the AZ/UM game.

The SU/SJ game was the first and only *true road game for SU in the non-conference.

The * is there because the road game was in the same state, and the crowd was essentially split.

SU didn't travel halfway across the country to play a road game in an environment that had a 95%-5% difference of cheering fans.

SU had over a week to prepare for the game. AZ had 2 days, and only shoot around to get together for on the court before playing.

It was a rivalry, in which SU has played in MSG every year for decades (being that it's right down the road, and has been the BE tourney site). This means that not only were the SU fans out in droves, but the team and coach have a great familiarity with playing there, and against the opposing team.

Ultimately, SU played their only true road game this non-conference in a place in the same state, which is by every account their second home, with thousands of fans on hand, in a place that they play numerous times a year, against a team they know very well. As opposed to AZ who went halfway across the country, to a place with extremely little fan support, on the campus of the university they played: a place that none of the players have played, and against a team that none of the players know anything about except from watching tape.

You talked loads of shit about AZ losing to inferior opponents by only a possession or two, and yet when SU does the exact same thing, it doesn't matter.

They had a better showing because Syracuse played in the Garden. The fact that the game is the only "road game" of their non-con, and that such a dominant team only beat StJ by 5 in their second home is just taking your hypocrisy to an additional level.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rivalry game?

They aren't rivals. I looked it up on Bleacher Report so it must be true. (nobody even mentioned St. John's in the comments)

:laugh3: :laugh3: :laugh3:

Keep rationalizing it all you want... Syracuse looked okay against St. John. Nothing more. Certainly not significantly better than Zona did against Michigan. (a stronger opponent, I might add according to Pomeroy and Sagarin)

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rivalry game?

They aren't rivals. I looked it up on Bleacher Report so it must be true. (nobody even mentioned St. John's in the comments)

Keep rationalizing it all you want... Syracuse looked okay against St. John. Nothing more. Certainly not significantly better than Zona did against Michigan. (a stronger opponent, I might add according to Pomeroy and Sagarin)

Exactly, and SU playing in MSG is the sorriest excuse of a road game I've ever heard.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly, and SU playing in MSG is the sorriest excuse of a road game I've ever heard.

I'm fine with considering it a road game, but I'm also well aware that not all road games are created equal.

2000mi > 250mi
2 time zones > 0 time zones
95% home crowd > 50% home crowd.

But at the end of the day they are both going to show up as road wins for both teams, and both by a narrow margin.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Johnny Boy is just bitter that's all. Stick to the Bleacher JBoy, they're the experts :laugh3:

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rivalry game?

LOL I think you just proved your stupidity if you didnt know that SU-SJU are traditional rivals.

the two schools have some extended history with each others and is one of just 3 BE schools that syracuse is keeping on the yearly OOC (the others being Gtown & nova). looking at games played SJU is at the top of the list for BE schools.

and you sure you not a zona fan? cuz yall sure have a lot of butthurt over the BR thing

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Johnny Boy is just bitter that's all. Stick to the Bleacher JBoy, they're the experts :laugh3:

yeah I am just gonna stick to the tourny results. arizona was as high as 3rd in the AP last year and didnt do dick shit in the post season.

they were are all hype in the easy part of the season then get squashed come tourny time. no pac12 title, no regular season conference title, and a sweet 16 exit

I fell like this year will be the same.....

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL I think you just proved your stupidity if you didnt know that SU-SJU are traditional rivals.

Actually, I think you just proved your stupidity by not understanding that the comment was a joke about Bleacher Report's credibility (or lack of in this case) and had nothing to do with who Syracuse considers to be its rivals.

and you sure you not a zona fan? cuz yall sure have a lot of butthurt over the BR thing

I'm not quite sure why you think Arizona has fuckall to do with Bleacher Report being a shitty site full of awful slideshows, assembled by clueless fans, but I suspect it has something to do with you being butthurt that The Fighting Anthropomorphic Citruses still aren't ranked #1 even though you think they're the most awesomest, bestest, most coolest team ever.

But to answer your question, no, I'm not an Arizona fan, but if they're all like the guys on this board, I might jump on the bandwagon. I used to like most of the Orange fans over on CBS, but shitheels like you give the whole program a bad name.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah I am just gonna stick to the tourny results. arizona was as high as 3rd in the AP last year and didnt do dick shit in the post season.

they were are all hype in the easy part of the season then get squashed come tourny time. no pac12 title, no regular season conference title, and a sweet 16 exit

I fell like this year will be the same.....

Speaking of history repeating itself, I'm guessing Syracuse will find another embarrassing way to bow out of the tournament before the Elite Eight. All of those 1, 2 and 3 seeds, (13 since Boeheim's been around) and it seems like they hardly ever make it past the Sweet 16.

Jim Rome is Flaming

Check that, Chris Everett
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There hasn't been a single team that has looked dominant across the board this season. Cuse is in the top tier, that's all that can really be said right now.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What kind of horseshit is that logic? So every team that doesn't achieve the equal round of the tourney as the best ranking they have in any year is a failure????

Or no, wait, it must just be AZ.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What kind of horseshit is that logic? So every team that doesn't achieve the equal round of the tourney as the best ranking they have in any year is a failure????

Or no, wait, it must just be AZ.

Close... It's everyone except The Fighting Anthropomorphic Citruses. They get a pass because <looks on "excuse of the day" calender> bad weather.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After that nail-biter against the Red Storm, I think we can all agree that the Fighting Anthropomorphic Citruses up in Syracuse still have some work to do before they can be considered a dominant (or even #1) team.

:yahoo: I've spent the last week without internet and a care. But it's always good to be back and see my boys in discussion.

Syracuse has a decent list of holes that will be exposed at some points throughout the season. Anyone thinking SU is a dominant top 5 team is smoking crack. So far Coach JB has been able to hide the weaknesses and the zone D helps with that as much as anything.

With only two true guards, SU is one injury away from being a bit average. If both Ennis and Cooney have a bad day, so will SU. So expect SU to drop a couple through the season and if one of those two get injured, we'll see SU fall far from the top.

Reference the SJU game....meh....it's one college bball game. Every team is going to struggle at some point. This won't be the last game SU doesn't own up to a top 5 ranking. I could give the forum a few good reasons why the SJU game is a tuff one, but why bother. Folks have opinions and there will only be one left in April, so for now it's all banter.

With Zona beating Duke, I have no issue with Zona at one. In fact....go ahead and vote Wisky and a couple more ahead of the humanesq Orange. These are all popularity votes today and really mean squat.

I think UNC is a good example of shit happens. Florida play wisky with two key starters benched has me questioning Wisconsin's ranking. But a W is a W to the polls.

I like SU more as a tourney team. The zone D...the focus of winning only six instead of the season grind. But for the moment...I'm gonna enjoy the Cuse. Cause preseason, I don't believe anyone had SU with zero losses at this point in the season. :suds:

Last edited by a moderator: