• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ending of game - penalty rule.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just so you guys know the deal. I won't post on the CFB forum, but since some dumb people will probably use it to say Alabama cheated or whatever, here is the deal on it:

The rule exists to prevent teams from using penalties to stop the clock while on offense. So in that manner the clock is supposed to run. IE: If Alabama was losing, you can't commit a penalty to stop the clock and keep your down(-5 yards). The clock keeps running. That is what happened.

There is an exception to the rule.

When the team is winning, then the only time it's supposed to stop the clock is if it is obvious the offense is committing the penalty to keep the clock running. As Alabama was trying for 3rd and short to get the 1st down and committed the penalty, it was apparently deemed to not be on purpose(and it wasn't). That is the only time the clock will stop.

Personally I think it should be if the team is winning period it should stop, not just if it's obvious the team is abusing the rule. But that isn't what the rule says. We would have had to do it multiple times I guess, which is kind of lame because we benefited from the penalty and existing rule.

But at any rate, it was by the rules good or bad.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought I remembered reading something pertaining to that rule a while back. Didn't spend too much time thinking about it last night though cause we won and errbody else can suck a cawk. :nod:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SEC said today the clock should have stopped. I agree.

OnlyCrimson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought it was mistake when it happened. I don't think the ref knew it was running until both teams where walking out on the field to shake hands. At this point the ref just said f it and went to the locker room.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought it was mistake when it happened. I don't think the ref knew it was running until both teams where walking out on the field to shake hands. At this point the ref just said f it and went to the locker room.

It's a weird rule because it changes depending on situation. I read the rule Saturday and it was as I said above, sometimes it's supposed to run, sometimes it's not. The exception is all about who benefits, so apparently the SEC said we shouldn't have benefited, which I agree with. But the rule was talking about not allowing people to abuse it.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The referee shall order the game clock or play clock started or stopped whenever either team conserves or consumes playing time by tactics obviously unfair. This includes starting the game clock on the snap if the foul is by the team ahead in the score. The game clock will start on the ready-for-play signal after Team A throws an illegal forward or backward pass to conserve time (Rule 3-3-2-e-14) (A.R. 3-4-3-I-V).

So basically, I think because it hurt us on the 3rd and 1, they didn't deem it as being "obviously unfair", even though they should have because of us being ahead.