• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Eckersly says CJ will be a Yankee next year

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Romeo, I like CJ Wilson. But 20 mil a year is too much for him. He is a strong #2 but doesn't have the stuff of an ace. I'd be happy to see him sign with Texas in the offseason, but not at #1 money. If he goes out and goes toe-to-toe with Verlander and leads this team to a World Series championship (And of course I hope he does), I may think differently. I expect a MUCH better outing tomorrow for CJ than gm 1 vs TB. Let's just hope for a win tomorrow and go from there.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Romeo, I like CJ Wilson. But 20 mil a year is too much for him. He is a strong #2 but doesn't have the stuff of an ace. I'd be happy to see him sign with Texas in the offseason, but not at #1 money. If he goes out and goes toe-to-toe with Verlander and leads this team to a World Series championship (And of course I hope he does), I may think differently. I expect a MUCH better outing tomorrow for CJ than gm 1 vs TB. Let's just hope for a win tomorrow and go from there.

So what he did last regular season, last playoffs, and this regular season isn't a very good sample of his worth but yet his next outing will be? That's insane.

You are living up to your bet of posting positive for the Rangers, but you are trying to squeeze through a loophole by trashing the FO.

Whatever, carry on.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weaver is getting about a 10 mil a year raise so that might explain the difference. And the Angels will go after a big bat before they spend big on another arm. But I think they might do both. They don't have good 4th and 5th starter options so they may just try to fill in these spots with lesser players.

But do you really get the feeling CJ wants to come back to Texas? I've heard a couple of interviews recently and he sounds like someone who wants to see what he is worth out there and then pick the best suitor based on his playing and location preferences. If the Dodgers get there finances in order with a new owner, I could easily see him in LA. That would be much better than seeing him in an Angel uniform next year. Of course I'd prefer he sign in Texas at around 15 mil a year, but he may want and get more elsewhere.

Whomever the reason, the Angels will have a payroll of about $130-$140 million before they even think of signing any FA's. The problem contracts they won't be able to move (Wells, Torii, Abreu), and the younger guys won't bring much relief. After 2012 the picture starts to get better for them, but not by much.

So if they want to get a CJ or a Fielder/Pujols, they will have to spend $20-$30 mill depending on the player...for one guy? Not going to happen.

Ginger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hunter's contract is not a problem. He has earned every penny of that contract so far.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hunter's contract is not a problem. He has earned every penny of that contract so far.

Debatable. It is a problem because he is on the decline, and it is a problem because he makes so much.

He was a good player early in the contract, but he isn't a top 10 RF at the plate, but still being paid like one.

But my point of his contract being a problem, I was saying there is NO WAY they can move that contract. No one is going to take on $18M for Torii.

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fordman, how am I trashing the front office? I said I like CJ Wilson. I hope he comes back to Texas. But I don't want to see the Rangers pony up 20 mil a year for a guy that isn't one of the few elite pitchers in baseball...YET. He has good numbers, is a good teammate, and is a very valuable part of the team. I am not debating that. Lee and Lewis both outpitched CJ in last year's postseason. He can be THAT guy...just not ready to commit 120 mil over 6 years for him. And yes, the opportunity is right out in front of him now to make his case to be considered an elite pitcher. I hope he grabs it.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Free agent pitchers at the end of the season

Mark Buehrle CWS
Chris Carpenter STL *
Bruce Chen KC
Aaron Cook COL *
Kyle Davies KC
Ryan Dempster CHC *
Justin Duchscherer OAK
Zach Duke ARI *
Jeff Francis KC
Freddy Garcia NYY
Jon Garland LAD *
Aaron Harang SD
Rich Harden OAK
Livan Hernandez WAS
Edwin Jackson CWS
Kenshin Kawakami ATL
Scott Kazmir LAA
Hiroki Kuroda LAD
Rodrigo Lopez CHC
Paul Maholm PIT
John Maine COL
Jason Marquis WAS
Kevin Millwood NYY
Scott Olsen PIT *
Roy Oswalt PHI *
Brad Penny DET
Oliver Perez NYM
Joel Pineiro LAA
CC Sabathia NYY (may opt out)
Carlos Silva NYY
Javier Vazquez FLA
Adam Wainwright STL *
Tim Wakefield BOS
Chien-Ming Wang WAS
Brandon Webb ARI
C.J. Wilson TEX
Chris Young NYM

Not sure how current this is, but how many of these guys are #1's? None of them really, except CC. Wainwright had Tommy John surgery, and Carpenter and Oswalt are old. So then the question becomes, if not CJ, who? Do you sign a mid/back end rotation guy and go forward with Holland as the ace? I'm not sure I like that idea. There's always Darvish, but assuming we can even sign him is putting a lot of eggs in one basket. Bottom line is, sometimes you have to overpay certain players. If the Rangers weren't a good team, I'd say let him walk if he asks too much, but with the roster we have we will be a competitor for at least the next few years.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Free agent pitchers at the end of the season

Mark Buehrle CWS
Chris Carpenter STL *
Bruce Chen KC
Aaron Cook COL *
Kyle Davies KC
Ryan Dempster CHC *
Justin Duchscherer OAK
Zach Duke ARI *
Jeff Francis KC
Freddy Garcia NYY
Jon Garland LAD *
Aaron Harang SD
Rich Harden OAK
Livan Hernandez WAS
Edwin Jackson CWS
Kenshin Kawakami ATL
Scott Kazmir LAA
Hiroki Kuroda LAD
Rodrigo Lopez CHC
Paul Maholm PIT
John Maine COL
Jason Marquis WAS
Kevin Millwood NYY
Scott Olsen PIT *
Roy Oswalt PHI *
Brad Penny DET
Oliver Perez NYM
Joel Pineiro LAA
CC Sabathia NYY (may opt out)
Carlos Silva NYY
Javier Vazquez FLA
Adam Wainwright STL *
Tim Wakefield BOS
Chien-Ming Wang WAS
Brandon Webb ARI
C.J. Wilson TEX
Chris Young NYM

Not sure how current this is, but how many of these guys are #1's? None of them really, except CC. Wainwright had Tommy John surgery, and Carpenter and Oswalt are old. So then the question becomes, if not CJ, who? Do you sign a mid/back end rotation guy and go forward with Holland as the ace? I'm not sure I like that idea. There's always Darvish, but assuming we can even sign him is putting a lot of eggs in one basket. Bottom line is, sometimes you have to overpay certain players. If the Rangers weren't a good team, I'd say let him walk if he asks too much, but with the roster we have we will be a competitor for at least the next few years.

Aside from a very few players the FA market has become a scrap heap. May be better to find a trade partner.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
have you ever seen a Level A free agent that wasn't projected to go to the Yankees?

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cj i think will be a ranger and i think he will sign less than 20 mil a year......angels are a no,imo i dont think he is a yankee kinda guy and he knows the rangers are probably his best chance to win...so imo why would he go anywhere else,especially if they all really believe that stuff they say about having so much fun together and how great they all get along

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love some chris carpentar on a 1 or 2 year deal if the rangers dont sign wilson.

MelonCabron

Bastardo Magnifico
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would love some chris carpentar on a 1 or 2 year deal if the rangers dont sign wilson.

This. Particularly after tonight's dominance. But I think he just signed a new two year contract in mid-September.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This. Particularly after tonight's dominance. But I think he just signed a new two year contract in mid-September.

Yeah he just got extended.

aggrad02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I much as I love CJ, I am not that worried if he walks. We still have Holland, Harrison, Ogando and Lewis. I know Lewis is aging and may be crud next year, but he still should be serviceable. With Adams and Koji in the bullpen, they could probably convert Neftali to a starter and then our rotation is complete, or they could bring up one of the guys from AAA that we have been hearing about, or maybe even trade for someone (Please let it be Kershaw).

Hope they don't go after Darvish. Those Japanese starters never pan out much for what they are paid. Instead go and sign 100 Dominicans with that money, I bet at least 10 of them pan out.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I much as I love CJ, I am not that worried if he walks. We still have Holland, Harrison, Ogando and Lewis. I know Lewis is aging and may be crud next year, but he still should be serviceable. With Adams and Koji in the bullpen, they could probably convert Neftali to a starter and then our rotation is complete, or they could bring up one of the guys from AAA that we have been hearing about, or maybe even trade for someone (Please let it be Kershaw).

Hope they don't go after Darvish. Those Japanese starters never pan out much for what they are paid. Instead go and sign 100 Dominicans with that money, I bet at least 10 of them pan out.

without CJ and those 4 we will be lucky to finish 2nd in the West and Feliz has 2 pitches and 1 of them is only reliable about 30% of the time. do you want to go backwards or forwards?

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
without CJ and those 4 we will be lucky to finish 2nd in the West and Feliz has 2 pitches and 1 of them is only reliable about 30% of the time. do you want to go backwards or forwards?

Dude, relax. You never thought they would get this far.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scotsman has it right on feliz. He's just gotten his mojo back as a closer, and having a solid closer is incredibly important as Detroit will tell you. Leave him as the closer. I'm pretty sure trying to stretch him out is what screwed him up in the first place.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Its not that he only HAS 2 pitches, he usually only USES 2 pitches, and even then he's fastball heavy