• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Early Mock Draft

Jim Rome is Flaming

Check that, Chris Everett
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who would you guys like to see us draft? I've been back and forth a couple of times on who to take in the first round, right now it depends on what defensive scheme we run. If it's a 3-4, take Mosely out of Bama. If it's a 4-3, Dennard from MSU. I'd prefer the 3-4 at this point, I think we have 3 or 4 lineman capable of playing the 3-4 and our linebackers are so much more suited to that system.

1st: ILB - C.J. Mosely (Alabama)
2nd: CB - Kyle Fuller (Virginia Tech)
3rd: SS - Ahmad Dixon (Baylor)
4th: DT - Justin Ellis (Louisiana Tech)
5th: FS - Marqueston Huff (Wyoming)
6th: TE - Jacob Pedersen (Wisconsin)
6th: C - Gabe Ikard (Oklahoma)

Mosely: Rock solid ILB prospect, has the speed and athleticism to develop into a really good Ted linebacker in a 3-4 system. And if Bostic doesn't pan out, he has all of the tools to play a Mike.

Fuller: Honestly my favorite CB prospect in this draft. I hadn't watched him play until recently, but he is loaded with potential. He already possesses the ability to read an offense, and has a great initial burst. He also has the size that Jennings lacks, and could be a much tougher match-up for bigger receivers like Calvin Johnson and Jordy Nelson.

Dixon: He has had some discipline problems in the past, but if the veterans on defense can keep him focused, he has potential to be a beast in the secondary. At 6-0, 205 lb. with a 4.55 40 yard dash, he would be able to help in run support while having the speed to drop back in a 2-deep zone if need be.

Ellis: May be a reach in the 4th round, but in switching to the 3-4 he fills a major need at DT. He has the size at 6-2 342 lb to occupy a lot of space in the middle, and also is capable of rushing the passer. He would allow Paea, Melton (if he is back), Collins, Ratliff to play the DE positions, where Paea would also be able to shift inside.

Huff: Official 40 time at 4.40, fastest at 4.32. He has the speed to play free safety, and could potentially move to corner when Jennings eventually leaves the Bears. Even if he doesn't pan out as a starter in the secondary, he could return both kicks and punts, which would allow us to rid ourselves of Hester's contract.

Pedersen: I watched him for 4 years at Wisconsin, he isn't ever going to be a top-notch TE, but is a solid blocker and can catch passes when he's needed. He has below average size for a TE at 6-3 242 lb. but makes up for it by running excellent routes.

Ikard: Great size for a C at 6-5, 302 lb., but he lacks the power that would usually come with a lineman his size. He struggled against Justin Ellis in the Shrine Game, but also showed that he has the intelligence and instincts to put himself in the right place. He would fit well in Aaron Kromer's interior zone-blocking schemes.

If all of these picks work out (I don't anticipate getting all of them), I'd really like the way our team looks in the next couple of years.

QB: Cutler
HB: Forte
WR: Marshall, Jeffery, Bennett
TE: Bennett, Pedersen
LT: Bushrod
LG: Slauson
C: Garza (eventually Ikard)
RG: Mills
RT: Long

DE: Melton, Collins, Ratliff
DT: Paea, Ellis
OLB: Briggs, McClellin, Greene
ILB: Bostic, Mosely
CB: Jennings, Fuller
FS: Conte/Huff
SS: Wright/Dixon

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the couple of mocks that I have read has us taking Jernigan of Florida State...........that would be a decent pick i`m guessing,but i just like to read mocks right now.
i`m more interested in who we can strive for in the free agency first.

I still would like to see us take Orakapo......I would be happier with him than any lineman we could draft.Except for maybe Clowney and we all know thats not happening.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who would you guys like to see us draft? I've been back and forth a couple of times on who to take in the first round, right now it depends on what defensive scheme we run. If it's a 3-4, take Mosely out of Bama. If it's a 4-3, Dennard from MSU. I'd prefer the 3-4 at this point, I think we have 3 or 4 lineman capable of playing the 3-4 and our linebackers are so much more suited to that system.

1st: ILB - C.J. Mosely (Alabama)
2nd: CB - Kyle Fuller (Virginia Tech)
3rd: SS - Ahmad Dixon (Baylor)
4th: DT - Justin Ellis (Louisiana Tech)
5th: FS - Marqueston Huff (Wyoming)
6th: TE - Jacob Pedersen (Wisconsin)
6th: C - Gabe Ikard (Oklahoma)

Mosely: Rock solid ILB prospect, has the speed and athleticism to develop into a really good Ted linebacker in a 3-4 system. And if Bostic doesn't pan out, he has all of the tools to play a Mike.

Fuller: Honestly my favorite CB prospect in this draft. I hadn't watched him play until recently, but he is loaded with potential. He already possesses the ability to read an offense, and has a great initial burst. He also has the size that Jennings lacks, and could be a much tougher match-up for bigger receivers like Calvin Johnson and Jordy Nelson.

Dixon: He has had some discipline problems in the past, but if the veterans on defense can keep him focused, he has potential to be a beast in the secondary. At 6-0, 205 lb. with a 4.55 40 yard dash, he would be able to help in run support while having the speed to drop back in a 2-deep zone if need be.

Ellis: May be a reach in the 4th round, but in switching to the 3-4 he fills a major need at DT. He has the size at 6-2 342 lb to occupy a lot of space in the middle, and also is capable of rushing the passer. He would allow Paea, Melton (if he is back), Collins, Ratliff to play the DE positions, where Paea would also be able to shift inside.

Huff: Official 40 time at 4.40, fastest at 4.32. He has the speed to play free safety, and could potentially move to corner when Jennings eventually leaves the Bears. Even if he doesn't pan out as a starter in the secondary, he could return both kicks and punts, which would allow us to rid ourselves of Hester's contract.

Pedersen: I watched him for 4 years at Wisconsin, he isn't ever going to be a top-notch TE, but is a solid blocker and can catch passes when he's needed. He has below average size for a TE at 6-3 242 lb. but makes up for it by running excellent routes.

Ikard: Great size for a C at 6-5, 302 lb., but he lacks the power that would usually come with a lineman his size. He struggled against Justin Ellis in the Shrine Game, but also showed that he has the intelligence and instincts to put himself in the right place. He would fit well in Aaron Kromer's interior zone-blocking schemes.

If all of these picks work out (I don't anticipate getting all of them), I'd really like the way our team looks in the next couple of years.

QB: Cutler
HB: Forte
WR: Marshall, Jeffery, Bennett
TE: Bennett, Pedersen
LT: Bushrod
LG: Slauson
C: Garza (eventually Ikard)
RG: Mills
RT: Long

DE: Melton, Collins, Ratliff
DT: Paea, Ellis
OLB: Briggs, McClellin, Greene
ILB: Bostic, Mosely
CB: Jennings, Fuller
FS: Conte/Huff
SS: Wright/Dixon

We have some serious holes on this team, but as most folks say it all starts up front. The biggest needs if not addressed in F/A are D linemen... WE DON'T HAVE ANY. Bears are in desperate needs of shoring up both the pass rush and the run D on the line, which will help out all other areas. You're draft only has 1 D lineman in it. The Bears will draft 2 if not 3 this year, unless we F/A pick up a couple starters and I don't know we have the money to do this.

So, while you fill a lot of other holes, I don't see the Bears going your route. Also, who do you have starting at DE? None of those guys are DE or for that matter signed at this point.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Nobody has anything to add? I must have been spot on then. :10: for me! :cool2:

haha nice try. I didn't reply simply because I am a little less convinced of what the exact best strategy for the restocking the Bears D is this offseason, so wasn't planning on wasting as much time worrying about specifics, especially before free agency hits. We don't know what kind of defense the Bears want to field next year, and a lot of the free agents you are assuming will be back won't be.

Sitting here right now, I probably wouldn't like that draft. #14 is high for a ILB unless he's amazing, and of the three D position groups I'm not sure LB is the top priority. You don't have a d lineman until 4th round, and if that happens I will be pretty surprised. I like your overall balance, think any O picks will be late like you say, and won't be surprised one bit if we take a CB first or second round like you've got (this is supposedly another good CB draft). But all of this probably would be better discussed after free agency, when we have some idea which way the team is committing it's salary cap money (to a 3-4 or 4-3).

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too early to talk about the draft. Have to see how FA goes.

Jim Rome is Flaming

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have some serious holes on this team, but as most folks say it all starts up front. The biggest needs if not addressed in F/A are D linemen... WE DON'T HAVE ANY. Bears are in desperate needs of shoring up both the pass rush and the run D on the line, which will help out all other areas. You're draft only has 1 D lineman in it. The Bears will draft 2 if not 3 this year, unless we F/A pick up a couple starters and I don't know we have the money to do this.

So, while you fill a lot of other holes, I don't see the Bears going your route. Also, who do you have starting at DE? None of those guys are DE or for that matter signed at this point.

I don't think it necessarily happens this year, but I think sometime in the next couple of years they make the transition. Collins, Ratliff, Melton could all play a 3-4 DE.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read one mock draft where the guy the bears should take should be taken at 17, so 14 was too soon, I think it was timmy jernigan. They have him and nix III flip flopped between 14 and 17. Nix is a house, about 340 playing nfl style defense at notre dame.

Honestly, I think the peanut situation you take the cornerback, Darqueze Dennard from Michigan state if he is still there. Melton might take a discount, Ratliff might give you a thank you for giving him a shot and you may have DT's. I dont think any corner on this team can cover bump and run, you gotta find them. You take away the two second pass play and the D line has a chance to get home.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Chris Borland is there in the 3rd round, the Bears better take him. He's the perfect heir apparent as Chicago Bears MLB. I think he's a much better player than Mosley. Besides that, give me a couple or safeties and a cornerback and i'll be happy.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it necessarily happens this year, but I think sometime in the next couple of years they make the transition. Collins, Ratliff, Melton could all play a 3-4 DE.

Um, no. None of those guys are fast enough to put any pressure on a QB as a DE in a 3-4, unless you're pinning all your hopes and dreams on #99 putting pressure on opposing QB's, something he hasn't done to date. They're all 4-3 interior lineman sized. Wooten could play a DE in a 3-4 and Peppers and that's it. Collins, Melton both are unsigned, both are coming off serious wheel issues, in fact Melton may not be ready to actually practice until the season starts, not heard on Collins. Ratliff is waaaay to old to be a speedy type DE a position he didn't even play when he was younger and Dallas RAN a 3-4.

So no. You need to rethink that draft.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Chris Conte is our starting FS on opening day in 2014. Something will have went terribly wrong.

Jim Rome is Flaming

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Um, no. None of those guys are fast enough to put any pressure on a QB as a DE in a 3-4, unless you're pinning all your hopes and dreams on #99 putting pressure on opposing QB's, something he hasn't done to date. They're all 4-3 interior lineman sized. Wooten could play a DE in a 3-4 and Peppers and that's it. Collins, Melton both are unsigned, both are coming off serious wheel issues, in fact Melton may not be ready to actually practice until the season starts, not heard on Collins. Ratliff is waaaay to old to be a speedy type DE a position he didn't even play when he was younger and Dallas RAN a 3-4.

Melton and Collins both have the speed to put pressure from the DE position in a 3-4. Whether or not they'll be back is another issue. Wooton would also be able to fill in. Shea IMO would be much better as a pass rusher as a 3-4 OLB than a 3-4 DE, not to mention we would be miles better against the run. If we can't retain either of Melton or Collins, we could take Ealy out of Missou in the first, and resign D.J. Williams (I think his contract is up), and play Wooton on the other side. Or could Khaseem Greene play an ILB in a 3-4 D?

Still think that would be a stellar draft. Kyle Fuller would be a steal as a mid 2nd rounder, as would Dixon as a mid 3rd rounder.

C

cubzzzfanincali

IF they are serious about going to a 3-4, and presuming we don't pick up a NT in free agency (and I sort of don't think that will happen..I think he'd be more likely to sign the DEs), our first round draft pick is plainly obvious. Emery will take Nix. It would be the only intelligent move. A lot of things in a 3-4 can be adjusted and deviated from, but you have to have the anchor.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Melton and Collins both have the speed to put pressure from the DE position in a 3-4. Whether or not they'll be back is another issue. Wooton would also be able to fill in. Shea IMO would be much better as a pass rusher as a 3-4 OLB than a 3-4 DE, not to mention we would be miles better against the run. If we can't retain either of Melton or Collins, we could take Ealy out of Missou in the first, and resign D.J. Williams (I think his contract is up), and play Wooton on the other side. Or could Khaseem Greene play an ILB in a 3-4 D?

Still think that would be a stellar draft. Kyle Fuller would be a steal as a mid 2nd rounder, as would Dixon as a mid 3rd rounder.

Kind of really depends on what the Bears are going to do with Peppers. And what they can manage to grab in F/A. I really see the Bears taking 2 D line guys in the draft, and probably pretty high in the draft like 1st and 3rd or even 1st and 2nd, that only changes if they restructure Peppers, sign a F/A and bring back Collins, Melton or even Ratliff any 2 of the three.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Speed from inside linemen in a 3-4? All everyone kept yelling about was how our defensive ends are not big enough to move to 3-4, now you want speed defensive ends? Thats why you are rushing your linebackers off the edge, the 3 big linemen work inside, tie up 4 of the offensive linemen and leave one linebacker going against a back or tight end. those three bottle up the middle and hopefully our new linebacker and DLine coach will actually teach what a gap is and have our guys in the right place.

Wooten is gonna get a decent offer out there, not much different than Avril got from Seattle when Detroit could not afford to resign him. Bass is the size for a 4-3, he looks like a linebacker too. The problem is this hybrid they are talking about, or running both 3-4 and 4-3 mean you need extra linemen to fill all line positions. Thats all we have left other than Peppers and all this restructuring talk or threatening Peppers to take a cut in pay is all BS, he knows we have no linemen on the roster, why would he take less money?

C

cubzzzfanincali

Not bs at all. It's precisely because we have no linemen that he either restructures or gets cut. We need as much cap space as we can get, and right now it's going to peppers. That's exactly why he won't be playing under his current contract. 0% chance.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speed from inside linemen in a 3-4? All everyone kept yelling about was how our defensive ends are not big enough to move to 3-4, now you want speed defensive ends? Thats why you are rushing your linebackers off the edge, the 3 big linemen work inside, tie up 4 of the offensive linemen and leave one linebacker going against a back or tight end. those three bottle up the middle and hopefully our new linebacker and DLine coach will actually teach what a gap is and have our guys in the right place.

Wooten is gonna get a decent offer out there, not much different than Avril got from Seattle when Detroit could not afford to resign him. Bass is the size for a 4-3, he looks like a linebacker too. The problem is this hybrid they are talking about, or running both 3-4 and 4-3 mean you need extra linemen to fill all line positions. Thats all we have left other than Peppers and all this restructuring talk or threatening Peppers to take a cut in pay is all BS, he knows we have no linemen on the roster, why would he take less money?

Now you have confused me. Is it just the system that is different? I look at Seattle, they have Arvil, 6'2" 253lbs (Bass and McClellin?), Bennett 6'4" 274lbs (Wooten), then they have 6'4" 323 Red (we have/had no one to fit this), 6'1" 311 (again missing on the Bears) Mebane , and 6'7" 305lbs (Peppers?) McDaniels dt's. The only two DT's we have under contract Paea who's what 290lbs? Cohan is 6'1" 300lbs, maybe if they put on some weight?

Everyone else is DE... Which means we need to find at least 310lbs plus guys preferably also a 235lby guy to play NT. Paea and Cohan both need to add weight.

I don't know. Neither Bass or Shea played anything like Arvil. Wooten was/is no Bennett. We have no big big boys to play NT like Red or Mebane, but we do have Peppers and his huge contract that can play the McDaniels role. Yikes that doesn't look very promising.

55briggs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i personally think that if we can't get an all pro in round 1 we should try to trade our number 1 pick for a 2nd and a 3rd rounder if possible, i think it would be the best way to rebuild this defense with some decent players,

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how do you know? do you have some sort of magic ball?

i personally think that if we can't get an all pro in round 1 we should try to trade our number 1 pick for a 2nd and a 3rd rounder if possible, i think it would be the best way to rebuild this defense with some decent players,

So which players are gonna be all pro? If it was that easy I would be GM.:lol: