• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dwight Howard on the move again.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really.

You need to prove organizational competence on some level before the top tier players will consider you.

Just ask Laker fans about that.

You can't draw big time players with their current roster. They have some nice, under the radar players, but that's not going to draw the max players. Teams like this often reach and get the players looking for a payday that never really earn that max contract. Maybe Dwight helps draw some attention to them this season, but he's not going to be there if/when these max contracts open up.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really.

You need to prove organizational competence on some level before the top tier players will consider you.

Just ask Laker fans about that.

This could be a step in that direction. At the very least, as long as they don't do something truly stupid, it shows that they may finally have a plan.

If they do manage to open up 2 max slots, that's a decent plan as far as rebuilding through FA.

You are right though, as the Lakers learned, just being a legit "big market" team isn't going to be enough. They are going to have to show them that they have a plan to win. Plus, top FA's may want to wait a season or so to see if the plan seems viable. So, they may have to be patient.

That's where it can get tricky. It may be tough to resist the temptation to overpay some 2nd and/or 3rd tier guys just to say they did something.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't draw big time players with their current roster. They have some nice, under the radar players, but that's not going to draw the max players. Teams like this often reach and get the players looking for a payday that never really earn that max contract. Maybe Dwight helps draw some attention to them this season, but he's not going to be there if/when these max contracts open up.

Exactly.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This could be a step in that direction. At the very least, as long as they don't do something truly stupid, it shows that they may finally have a plan.

If they do manage to open up 2 max slots, that's a decent plan as far as rebuilding through FA.

You are right though, as the Lakers learned, just being a legit "big market" team isn't going to be enough. They are going to have to show them that they have a plan to win. Plus, top FA's may want to wait a season or so to see if the plan seems viable. So, they may have to be patient.

That's where it can get tricky. It may be tough to resist the temptation to overpay some 2nd and/or 3rd tier guys just to say they did something.

My bet is that they will continue to be a haven for overpaying the second tier RFAs.

There is absolutely nothing they have done that leads me to believe they have a competent plan to build a winning roster.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My bet is that they will continue to be a haven for overpaying the second tier RFAs.

There is absolutely nothing they have done that leads me to believe they have a competent plan to build a winning roster.

I tend to agree. But I can remember when everyone was wondering what the hell Ainge was doing and were mocking the Sixers for their "process."

Look at those 2 now.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that is what's happening here and Brooklyn's history certainly makes it appear that what you say is the more likely scenario.

But they've got to learn eventually...don't they? :noidea:

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I?

I don't think this is a bad move for Brooklyn.

But, those praising it need to pump the breaks and ask what's the long term plan?

To sign a big name free agent or 2 next summer.

Kemba Walker who was born in the bronx is a free agent.

Klay Thompson who may want to finally be the man on a team after winning 3 or 4 titles with the Warriors is a free agent.

KAT who doesn't have the best relationship with Thibs is a possible RFA. Another player born in the tri-state area.

Also assuming they miss the playoffs again, the finally have their own pick next summer

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tend to agree. But I can remember when everyone was wondering what the hell Ainge was doing and were mocking the Sixers for their "process."

Look at those 2 now.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that is what's happening here and Brooklyn's history certainly makes it appear that what you say is the more likely scenario.

But they've got to learn eventually...don't they? :noidea:

That is kind of funny.

Because I was praising Philly every step of the way.

I have taken issues with a couple specific Ainge moves, but for the most part I like their direction too. Thing is though, without those 3 Nets picks, the Celtics are firmly stuck in NBA purgatory. That singular trade is the gift that keeps on giving and has allowed them to position themselves so well. That, and the fact that Ainge ignored the masses and correctly chose Brown over DUnn, and then traded down to get Tatum.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I feel pretty sure that they're going to try and sign Kemba or Klay who are both UFA

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To sign a big name free agent or 2 next summer.

Kemba Walker who was born in the bronx is a free agent.

Klay Thompson who may want to finally be the man on a team after winning 3 or 4 titles with the Warriors is a free agent.

KAT who doesn't have the best relationship with Thibs is a possible RFA. Another player born in the tri-state area.

Also assuming they miss the playoffs again, the finally have their own pick next summer

Townes is an RFA. Not going anywhere unless by trade. Kemba Is not anything resembling a difference maker, but I could easily see the Nets paying him $30 Million per.

Klay isn't going there. Even if he does, he is a great complementary piece. Not a primary one.

Lastly, what good is having their own pick going to do? It is likely to be between 10-15 in a relatively weak class. The fact that they finally have their own pick is why I believe they are moving in the wrong direction.

The last 3 years are over. They are a sunk cost. Failures there should not influence future decisions.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel pretty sure that they're going to try and sign Kemba or Klay who are both UFA

WHat is Kemba Walker going to do for them?

I will tell you what. He will be the next toxic contract if Brooklyn ills the trigger on that.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do.

I think thy could have done better, but, moving Howard allows them to completely bottom out. Kemba will be next to go.

Cap space doesn't matter for them in the short term because they will suck for at least 2 more years. At that point, they will have some space.

I would add Batum in there too. That contract could be hard to get rid of though. More like Marvin Williams

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like the Cavs might be a team to make the next move. They won’t know what Lebron is going to do for awhile: you either trade to rebuild or trade to acquire an all-star.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like the Cavs might be a team to make the next move. They won’t know what Lebron is going to do for awhile: you either trade to rebuild or trade to acquire an all-star.

The Cavs are in a tough spot if they have no idea what Lebron is going to do.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cavs are in a tough spot if they have no idea what Lebron is going to do.

They have to act as if he's gone IMO. They did say they weren't going to have a fire sale, so it will just be working in the margins really.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lmfao he's a journeyman.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man I live in Orlando and I was there when the Magic made it to the finals and Dwight was killing it. Let me tell you that man had the entire city of Orlando under his finger he could do whatever he wanted he probably could have built a home here and run for mayor after he retired. Idk if his camp built his ego and he felt that he deserved better and wanting a trade out was best but to go from having all that star power to being traded for a couple of 2nd round picks with teams looking to get rid of you with your home town team being one of them? As far as the reason why Charlotte got rid of him its kinda simple. You cant make the playoffs with him so whats the worst thing thats gonna happen by getting rid of him? Not make the playoffs? They didnt want to keep paying him and I dont think they want to keep paying Kemba

What a sad story