• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Draft from past Bronco defensive rosters your top 5

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Broncos have a 61-year history who are your top 5 draft picks from the defensive players?

1) Champ Bailey
2) Karl Mecklenburg
3) Alfred Williams
4) Dennis Smith
5) Von Miller

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Von and Champ for sure.

Elvis Dumervil

Justin Simmons

Darrent Williams. Would’ve had a career at least as good as Chris Harris had he not tragically been taken so young.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m not sure about that on Darrent Williams. While he was young and had some moments he really struggled at CB in his first two seasons. Comparing him to Chris Harris seems a little too much.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Champ Bailey
Von Miller
Randy Gradishar
Steve Atwater
Rich Jackson/Chris Harris

Had to throw Jackson in there and IMO when Chris Harris was with Denver he was one of the most underrated CB’s in NFL history. I don’t think many realize how good he was.

Meck would probably be next.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Broncos draft picks? If so, why is Champ on the list? I’d put him on top of any trade list though.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Broncos draft picks? If so, why is Champ on the list? I’d put him on top of any trade list though.
Anyone who played D for the Broncos is eligible - Alfred Willims also wasn't drafted by the Broncos.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Champ Bailey
Von Miller
Randy Gradishar
Steve Atwater

Had to throw Jackson in there and IMO when Chris Harris was with Denver he was one of the most underrated CB’s in NFL history. I don’t think many realize how good he was.

Rich Jackson "the Sheriff" was a great player, but his greatness lasted about 2.5 years before his knee took him out.

Gradishar should have been on my list - I'm ashamed of missing this HOFer (should be)

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m not sure about that on Darrent Williams. While he was young and had some moments he really struggled at CB in his first two seasons. Comparing him to Chris Harris seems a little too much.

Harris: 31 games, 4 INTs in first two seasons

Williams: 27 games, 6 INTs in first two (and only) seasons

Granted, one stat doesn’t tell the whole story, but Williams was an emerging ball hawk. I wholly believe that, while learning under Champ Bailey, Williams was on his way to becoming a dominant DB.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rich Jackson "the Sheriff" was a great player, but his greatness lasted about 2.5 years before his knee took him out.

Gradishar should have been on my list - I'm ashamed of missing this HOFer (should be)

Yeah let's take Jackson off and add Meck in there on my list. I am down with that. Jackson was great but probably not long enough greatness in Denver to make the top 5.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was so typing this when I first replied, then I sorta understood what he really meant.

Would have been easier if he just said "Who are the 5 best players in Broncos history on defense"... ;)

Last edited:

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harris: 31 games, 4 INTs in first two seasons

Williams: 27 games, 6 INTs in first two (and only) seasons

Granted, one stat doesn’t tell the whole story, but Williams was an emerging ball hawk. I wholly believe that, while learning under Champ Bailey, Williams was on his way to becoming a dominant DB.

Interceptions tell me nothing. Look at targets, passes given up, blown coverages, tackling, dependability. Williams did some things but he wasn't even close to being in the same boat as Chris Harris his first two seasons. If we went off interception stats Deltha O'Neal would be a top 5 Denver Bronco and he was about as bad of a cover CB as we have ever seen in Denver. Not saying DW wasn't going to improve or that he was as bad as O'Neal but really from that class of CB's we took early, Foxworth had shown the most and Paymah was a bust. DW was somewhere inbetween. But he really struggled in man to man coverage. All due respect to his death and legacy as a Bronco but he had a very bad 2nd season in Denver. Sure, maybe he could have improved and been another Chris Harris (wasn't looking like it at the time though) just not even sure you can put him in the top 100 Broncos defensive players let alone the top 5. He and Deltha O'Neal both had good ball skills, that is for sure. Darrell Revis didn't get many INT's because nobody threw his way. O'Neal feasted off a ton of targets in the interception category. Williams was really picked on his 2nd season. I do think Williams had the drive and work ethic to get better. Just hard to say he was going to be as good as Chris Harris when he didn't show it. Maybe your crystal ball is right but not much we saw on the field to say it was going to happen. But I also think Chris Harris can walk on water. ;)

He was a pretty good PR though.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was so typing this when I first replied, then I sorta understood what he really meant.

Would have been easier if he just said "Who are the 5 best players in Broncos history on defense"... ;)
That would be a different question - you should post that. ;)

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Champ Bailey--I will go to my grave believing he is the greatest CB to ever play the game.
2) Von Miller--The guy not only produced HOF numbers, but showed up in some of the biggest moments in Broncos' history. His work during the 2015 playoff run was some of the best playoff play in defensive history.
3) Randy Gradishar--The fact that he is not in the HOF is the biggest snub for the Broncos. It didn't matter where they lined him up on defense he shined. The guy was one of the most instinctual players to ever play the LB position. You think about all the great players on defense during this era and Gradishar should have his named mentioned among all of them. DPOY in 78' and probably should have had it a couple of different years on top of that.
4) Karl Mecklenburg--Another LB that could play all over the field and just destroy from anywhere on the field. He should also be in the HOF for his work. Helped the Broncos make it to 3 different Super Bowls during his time. Wish they could have won one with him.
5) Simon Fletcher--Led the Broncos in career sacks for a very long time. Was on a blazing pace for about a 5-year stretch. Crazy that he never made a Pro Bowl in his career.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Champ Bailey
Von Miller
Randy Gradishar
Steve Atwater

Without counting Rich Jackson

I may actually argue Von #1 winning and dominating in a Super Bowl and the entire playoffs that season on top of everything else hard not to run with Champ as well but…

1. Champ Bailey
2. Von Miller
3. Randy Gradishar
4. Steve Atwater (Literally a preparation nightmare for teams and had that fear factor.
5. Karl Mecklenburg
6. Chris Harris
7. Dennis Smith
8. Simon Fletcher
9. Billy Thompson
10. Tom Jackson
11. Louis Wright
12. Goose Gonselin
Still hard to leave Rich Jackson off this list.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One very underrated player in Broncos history to me that I grew up watching was LB Michael Brooks.

Lets give some honorable mention to Rulon Jones

Sorry, @Mingo I am not following your rules. ;)

Alfred Williams was a force in Denver as well.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gave consideration to: Tom Jackson -Al Wilson - Billy Thompson - Louie Wright - Willie Brown - Ruben Carter - Trevor Pryce -Lyle Alzado - and Paul Smith

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gave consideration to: Tom Jackson -Al Wilson - Billy Thompson - Louie Wright - Willie Brown - Ruben Carter - Trevor Pryce -Lyle Alzado - and Paul Smith
not one mention of steve atwater HOFer?
Mmmkay

wishful thinking

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miller
Bailey
Atwater
Gradishar

Those are the top 4 and the debate for the 5th spot is between some good players.

Tom Jackson, Trevor Pryce, Dennis Smith, Louie Wright (my pick), Billy Thompson, Karl Mecklenburg (or maybe this one), Al Wilson, John Mobley, Simon Fletcher, Talib (not here for too long though) Rulon Jones., Rich Jackson, Mike Harden, Tyrone Braxton (the chicken), D.J. Williams. Actually, the whole 2015 defense.