• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Draft 2021

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Massive mistake by the 49ers. There is a reason why Lance didn't play major college football. Either he's too dumb to get into a good school or he lacks the talent. He's just an athlete playing QB, he's not a QB.
Additionally, all teams know now that the 49ers have to get rid of Garoppolo because they mortgaged the future of the franchise on Lance. They fucked themselves there as well because now they can't get any value in trade for him because teams know they have to get rid of Garoppolo.

Perfect scenario for Garoppolo though. He has a no trade clause so he can reject any trade offer to a team he doesn't want to go to forcing the 49ers to cut him and then he goes exactly where he wants to go and the 49ers, stupidly get nothing for him. Unbelievable. All this for a guy who won't be in the league in three years.
Not guaranteeeing anything on Lance, but we'll see in two seasons how these QB's perform? Granted, which team they go to makes a difference.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Lance had tenders from Ivy League schools. I doubt he's dumb.

Jimmy G will be the starter next year and best case scenario for him and us is that the competition drives him to be better. We have a great season and he boost his value to the rest of the league.
Yes, we want a HUGE season from JG, no question.

So huge we win the SB and his value is sky high.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He has no value to the 49ers as I showed earlier. They have to trade or cut garoppolo because Lance is the guy next year. Teams know this and will wait til the 49ers are forced to cut him. Garoppolo has a no trade and can reject any deal he doesn’t like The best they can hope for is a desperate team will give a 5th rounder for him and he doesn’t have to accept it
He doesn't have value today, but after a solid season, he will again.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
New England Patriots
New England Patriots: Mac Jones, QB, Alabama - D Grade
Yuck. I can't fail the Patriots because they're getting "value" with a quarterback some thought would go third overall. That said, several teams we spoke to had Jones in the second round. One had him pegged as a third-day prospect! Jones is an Andy Dalton with DUIs. There's no upside with him. He'll need to be surrounded with an all-star cast to reach the playoffs consistently, which was the exact case with Dalton.
WalterFootball Draft Grades
There's a lot to be said for intangibles, so i think Mac Jones will do well.

Does NE have a good team any more? Even if not, Mac Jones should flash some of that intangibles.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trey Lance. The big boom/bust pick at the Qb position this year. Some thoughts on the pick:

--FO made clear that we moved up to 3 for Lance and no one else (duh, makes sense)
--apparently only 3 or 4 people in the Niner FO knew Lance was the choice, neither the assistants nor the scouts were told
--Much like Smith/Rodgers, the choice of Lance will be measured against the success of Fields and Jones.
--Seeing how far down Fields and Jones fell, it appears we took the higher rated QB in Lance
--Just about everything I've read today made clear that had we passed on Lance, he wouldn't have fallen like Fields and Jones did
--Matt Miller said he was the best fit for the Niners
--his HS and college coaches called him a film junky
--Saw more than one report that Lance's scores on the NIners' psych/mental tests were off the chart high

Some thoughts on Grop:
--I think this means we keep Grop, as so many teams took QBs, and that's not necessarily a bad thing
--would be good for Lance to sit for a year (Palmer, McNair, Maholmes, etc.).
--playing Grop this season ensures we get his best effort/production, so it could raise his trade value next year
--of course, playing him carries the risk of his getting hurt (again)
--Grop reportedly asked for Lance's number so they can start working together (great news)
--As for the no trade clause, that doesn't mean much in reality. While he can 86 any trade, the Niners can simply cut him in August, either this year or next year, when teams have their QB situations nailed down, leaving either without a job at all or forcing him to take a bargain basement deal after having missed all of that team's TC and preseason.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As soon as the 49ers made the move up to 3, Trey Lance was the guy I felt like they were targeting. The guy they say is the biggest boom/bust player has the best chance to boom since he's going to the best situation for him to flourish. The Niners will keep Garoppolo unless they are blown away with a trade too good to be true - but that is next to zero - so he can still man the ship for the time being and be the mentor to TL.

Lance could very well be far more pro-ready that some think, given all the under center/play action/setting protections he did at North Dakota. His mental aspects towards the position are with anybody else in the draft. Dude is mature beyond his years, and by all accounts, people/players around him gravitate.....leadership is a very important trait.

I never bought the Jones hype because it made no sense. You just don't make the move the Niners did for a guy with the limited traits and upside that he offers. He may display some talent when the talent around him allows him to stay on script, but that's where it ends. Scheme takes you only so far. I wouldn't be overly joyed even if we sat and took him at 12.....it means we settled.

Justin Fields was the only other guy whom SF should've gone after, and it looks as if the draft somewhat dictated as to why he wasn't the pick. Reports say Atlanta, Denver and Carolina for starters would've taken Lance had he'd been around, but as soon as he was the choice, those other teams scattered. I guess you also conclude that others were really interested in the guy we got.

In the end, I love it. It's a balls to the wall move by Shanahan. His job could very well be on the line with this pick, but if Lance is the potential transcendant player that some have suggested he could be, SF could run this league for a while.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
As soon as the 49ers made the move up to 3, Trey Lance was the guy I felt like they were targeting. The guy they say is the biggest boom/bust player has the best chance to boom since he's going to the best situation for him to flourish. The Niners will keep Garoppolo unless they are blown away with a trade too good to be true - but that is next to zero - so he can still man the ship for the time being and be the mentor to TL.

Lance could very well be far more pro-ready that some think, given all the under center/play action/setting protections he did at North Dakota. His mental aspects towards the position are with anybody else in the draft. Dude is mature beyond his years, and by all accounts, people/players around him gravitate.....leadership is a very important trait.

I never bought the Jones hype because it made no sense. You just don't make the move the Niners did for a guy with the limited traits and upside that he offers. He may display some talent when the talent around him allows him to stay on script, but that's where it ends. Scheme takes you only so far. I wouldn't be overly joyed even if we sat and took him at 12.....it means we settled.

Justin Fields was the only other guy whom SF should've gone after, and it looks as if the draft somewhat dictated as to why he wasn't the pick. Reports say Atlanta, Denver and Carolina for starters would've taken Lance had he'd been around, but as soon as he was the choice, those other teams scattered. I guess you also conclude that others were really interested in the guy we got.

In the end, I love it. It's a balls to the wall move by Shanahan. His job could very well be on the line with this pick, but if Lance is the potential transcendant player that some have suggested he could be, SF could run this league for a while.
Yes, Lance has a lot of potential and MIGHT even turn out more valuable than the draft capital spent? But a rookie is a rookie so good that JG started it well with his phone call. It is good that Lance said the right things and is staying humble.

It was abundantly clear Lance would need more time to gain experience, the entire nation kept reading it. But now it is specifically the 49er fans that need to be patience, but won't. haaaaa

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Problem is Lance would have still been there at 12. No need to trade up

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He doesn't have value today, but after a solid season, he will again.
I don’t think so. The Niners have no leverage. Every team knows the 49ers have to get rid of him. They’ll just wait til the 49ers have to cut him and the Niners will get nothing. If I was Garoppolo I’d make sure of it. I’d reject every trade they try to make and choose my own team once they cut me

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Problem is Lance would have still been there at 12. No need to trade up
We will never know. Would he have gotten past Carolina AND Denver? Would another team had trade up before 12th?

Too bad i won't know why we passed on Justin Fields? Carolina and Denver passed too, making you think there is something else? Anyway, we're moving on with Trey Lance.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don’t think so. The Niners have no leverage. Every team knows the 49ers have to get rid of him. They’ll just wait til the 49ers have to cut him and the Niners will get nothing. If I was Garoppolo I’d make sure of it. I’d reject every trade they try to make and choose my own team once they cut me
Have you ever seen a QB reject all trades to force a cut?

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reports that Atlanta, Denver and Carolina wanted him, and him alone at the QB position.
But what incentive do you have to trade for him now when you can get him for free when the Niners have to cut him before next season

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will never know. Would he have gotten past Carolina AND Denver? Would another team had trade up before 12th?

Too bad i won't know why we passed on Justin Fields? Carolina and Denver passed too, making you think there is something else? Anyway, we're moving on with Trey Lance.
With a heavy heart

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you ever seen a QB reject all trades to force a cut?
Why wouldn't he? He goes where he wants to go if he gets cut, not necessarily so with a trade

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why wouldn't he? He goes where he wants to go if he gets cut, not necessarily so with a trade.

He has a no trade clause so yeah it is so with a trade and forcing a cut will not get him more money next year or in the final year of his deal because no one else is going to pay him north of 25 million so Jimmy has little power unless he wants to lose a ton of money.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aaron Banks is a great pick. He was the best offensive linemen this year at Notre Dame who has one of the better offensive lines in college football.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aaron Banks is a great pick. He was the best offensive linemen this year at Notre Dame who has one of the better offensive lines in college football.
I was pleased with this pick as well. Although I don't know much about him Notre Dame is known for good offensive linemen. A first team All American this year

Last edited: