• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Doob's account of the Pens/Flyers rivalry

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NBC Sports Network's Wednesday Night Rivalry Night will feature my favorite rivalry in all of spoirts: The Keystone Rivalry aka The Battle of Pennsylvania aka Pens & Flyers.

My first memory of the Pens & Flyers goes back to 1989, when the 2 teams met in the playoffs for the 1st time in history. Flyers prevailed in 7 games, but the way the Pens played that series really gave us hope for the future, and it made the Doobster into a rabid hockey fan to this very day.

Flyers & the Pens met again in the playoffs during the 1996-97 season, this time the Flyers took it in 5 games.

Then the rivalry really took off in 1999-00 when Keith Primeau's goal put an end to a 5 OT game. Flyers went on to take that series in 6.

From 2002-2006, things went really bad for the Pens. Our top players started leaving, we were the worst team in the league year after year, our best player was Dick Tarnstrom, and it appeared as if our future would be in Kansas City, Portland, or Hamilton. It was very difficult to be a Pens fan those years. One thing that was very helpful in remaining passionate about the Pens during this time was our rivalry with the Flyers. Seemed that no matter how bad the Pens were and how good the Flyers were, the games were still competitive, and it gave Penguin fans a reason to cheer and remain passionate about the NHL in spite of all the adversities we faced during those times.

The 2 teams met again during the 2008 playoffs during Eastern Conference Finals. What was very impressive about this series was that it symbolized a great turnaround by both teams. Just as the Pens had hit rock bottom 3 seasons prior, the Flyers had hit rock bottom the previous season. So to see both teams in the Semi finals of the Stanley Cup Playoffs was rather remarkable.

The next year, the Pens & Flyers met again in the playoffs. The series was very competitive and is mostly remembered for game 6 when the Pens were down 3-0 before Max Talbot fought Dan Carcillo and although Max got beat down, he still had his pride & shhhhhhh'd the cheering Philly crowd. Pens went on to score 4 unanswered goals, won the game, the series, & the Stanley Cup.

In 2011-12, the 2 teams met once again. Pens had played without Sidney Crosby, Kris Letang, & Jordan Staal for much of the season but still managed to be competitive. Flyers had lost Chris Pronger, Mike Richards, & Jeff Carter, but they still managed to be competitive led by Claude Giroux, Scott Hartnell, Kimmo Timonen, & a cast of young forwards. The games were highly offensive, but in the end the Flyers won the series in 6.

I will be the first to admit that games against the Flyers mean much more than most games regardless of the records. The wins feel better and the losses hurt more. To me, it is the ultimate sports rivalry today. I have family that are Flyer fans and we probably won't be speaking much between Wednesday's game & Thanksgiving because things can get tense.

Anyways, just wanted to thank Flyer fans for sharing this great rivalry with us. An integral part of being a Pens fan is to hate the Flyers and I'm sure hating the Pens is an integral part of being a Flyer fan. It's great for hockey and we are all lucky to have our teams involved in such an intense rivalry, with so much star studded talent. Can't wait till Wednesday, it's what the NHL is all about IMO.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCqBSVNDiak]Penguins, Flyers Rivalry Renewed - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9YEVlVd8Us]Penguins Vs Flyers - The Battle of Pennsylvania - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riTDU8WXHrw]TSN Top 10. Philadelphia Flyers Pittsburgh Penguins Rivalry / Moments - YouTube[/ame]

Progeriakid

Hanging Pork
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As always Doob great post and your a class act! My hatred goes way back as well to when I was just old enough to understand the game, I remember the Pens team that was loaded with Mario and a young Czech named Jagr. I just remember watching the playoffs with my dad and saying wow they are unbelievable, watching them move the puck from the D end to the the offensive zone was like watching poetry in motion, tape to tape passes with that would eventually lead to an amazing goal, I do believe at this time my Flyers were cellar dwellars so I watched as just a plain hockey fan. At the time I just loved watching the product they produced and I was to young to know what hate was at the time but it eventually took full effect and I learned to hate the Pens lol...Go Flyers!

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As always Doob great post and your a class act! My hatred goes way back as well to when I was just old enough to understand the game, I remember the Pens team that was loaded with Mario and a young Czech named Jagr. I just remember watching the playoffs with my dad and saying wow they are unbelievable, watching them move the puck from the D end to the the offensive zone was like watching poetry in motion, tape to tape passes with that would eventually lead to an amazing goal, I do believe at this time my Flyers were cellar dwellars so I watched as just a plain hockey fan. At the time I just loved watching the product they produced and I was to young to know what hate was at the time but it eventually took full effect and I learned to hate the Pens lol...Go Flyers!

Yeah man, great part of this rivalry is that records go out the window. Doesn't matter how the Flyers are doing doesn't matter how the Pens are doing, we just know it will be a great game. As much as I love to hate on the Flyers, I have to admit that they're a big part of being a Pens fan. Best rivalry in the NHL today IMO.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's nice to have people like you Doob that understand how the rivalry works and has an appreciation for how both teams need to be successful for the rivalry to be at it's best and for it to really be fun - I can't wait for that game, exciting things always happen in these games - everyone knows both teams will be up for this game

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's nice to have people like you Doob that understand how the rivalry works and has an appreciation for how both teams need to be successful for the rivalry to be at it's best and for it to really be fun - I can't wait for that game, exciting things always happen in these games - everyone knows both teams will be up for this game

Thanks man, no doubt, being a Pens fan wouldn't be as much fun without the rivalry with the Flyers. Like I said, even when things went bad for us, the rivalry helped to keep me passionate about the Pens.

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Christ I hate the Pens,but how in the hell could you not appreciate the talent of Lemieux,Francis,Jagr,and that "Kid" fellow over the years,as well as others.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Christ I hate the Pens,but how in the hell could you not appreciate the talent of Lemieux,Francis,Jagr,and that "Kid" fellow over the years,as well as others.

Yeah man, and I gotta say that Lindros, Recchi, & LeClaire was a rather awesome line.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally love watching this rivalry.

I love watching Giroux play

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally love watching this rivalry.

I love watching Giroux play

Yeah I prefer to watch him play against other teams tho, he usually has his best games against us.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two most heated rivalries going is Pens v Flyers and Hawks v Canucks.

Both are great rivals, and even better when they meet in the playoffs.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah man, and I gotta say that Lindros, Recchi, & LeClaire was a rather awesome line.

I think you mean Lindros, Renberg and LeClair. The Legion of Doom line. LeClair being from the USA was easily my favorite player growing up. He scored 50+ goals in three consecutive seasons and 40+ in five consecutive seasons with the Flyers. To my knowledge, only Ovechkin has been able to do that since.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah yes Mikael Rendberg, was a great line. Although LeClaire was a stud, probably the greatest Flyer since I started watching the game. Lindros was great but I felt LeClaire was better.

Another great one was Rod Brid'amour.

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ah yes Mikael Rendberg, was a great line. Although LeClaire was a stud, probably the greatest Flyer since I started watching the game. Lindros was great but I felt LeClaire was better.

Another great one was Rod Brid'amour.

Lindros unfortunately was underrated in his career because of the injuries. He was no doubt one of the biggest reasons John LeClair was given so much space. In todays NHL Eric Lindros would be unstoppable.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lindros unfortunately was underrated in his career because of the injuries. He was no doubt one of the biggest reasons John LeClair was given so much space. In todays NHL Eric Lindros would be unstoppable.

I agree, also with modern day knowledge of head injuries, Lindros wouldn't have had so much pressure to play even when he wasn't fully recovered.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good post! Seeing those old highlights brings me back! I honestly didn't start "hating" the Flyers until the mid 90s. I agree that without the rivalry, hockey for me wouldn't be quite the same. I must say how much respect I gained for Philly fans when Lemieux returned and also when he "retired" and how he got standing ovations from the crowd. They even cheered when he scored the 5 goals against them. It was a great show of respect for Lemieux and it took me for a surprise. Great feeling and very classy!

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good post! Seeing those old highlights brings me back! I honestly didn't start "hating" the Flyers until the mid 90s. I agree that without the rivalry, hockey for me wouldn't be quite the same. I must say how much respect I gained for Philly fans when Lemieux returned and also when he "retired" and how he got standing ovations from the crowd. They even cheered when he scored the 5 goals against them. It was a great show of respect for Lemieux and it took me for a surprise. Great feeling and very classy!

I mean, I hate Crosby, but it's a professional hatred. If he played his last game and I was in attendance, I'd cheer him too. I don't like him and think he acts more childish than he needs to with his skill, but no doubt he is VERY skilled and he's one of the elite players of our time, if not all time.

That said, until then, fuck him and the Pens! All in good fun, of course, you assholes.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

True, I think when it's all said and done, hockey fans have a great deal of respect for the greats of the game. Although I despised the Flyers during the 1990s, Eric Lindros was one of my favorite players. Was a pleasure to watch him on the ice. Really a shame it went down the way it did, he was an amazing player.