• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dombroski Article

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Via Fox Sports:

AND IN SEATTLE?

The Mariners have not made a decision on whether to retain GM Jack Zduriencik, but sources say they are in the “contemplation phase,” pondering whether to make such a move.

Many within the game believe that Dombrowski will land in Seattle, raising two questions:

*Would the M’s or any other club grant Dombrowski a percentage of ownership, similar to what Billy Beane has with Oakland?

“I bet that is his next step – go somewhere where he can have an ownership stake,” one rival official says.

Some rival executives question whether the Mariners would hire Dombrowski, saying that the team does not pay top dollar for its front-office hires.

*What would a Dombrowski hiring by the Mariners mean for manager Lloyd McClendon, whom Dombrowski bypassed for Brad Ausmus as Jim Leyland’s replacement in Detroit?

At the time, McClendon was the Tigers’ hitting coach.

“I like him personally,” Dombrowski told reporters. “He’s done a lot for us. But I just told him that we’re going in a different direction – with somebody I thought will do a real good job for us.”

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB’s Best Free Agent Doesn’t Play Baseball | FiveThirtyEight

Good read on Dombrowski.

From the article:

Dombrowski is one of the best GMs no matter how you measure “best.” He grades out as the sixth-best GM in the time frame that Pollis examined (1995-2013).

Pollis puts the worth of a very good GM at up to 7 or 8 wins per year.3 If Dombrowski is as good as a composite view of him suggests, then whichever team signs him will have upgraded itself just as much as if they had signed an MVP-level player. Best of all, because of the state of the current front-office-employee market, Dombrowski will cost notably less than any top free-agent player. If Andrew Friedman’s contract with the Dodgers is any indication, Dombrowski isn’t likely to receive a contract for more than about $10 million per year. That’s less than what Nick Markakis signed for with the Braves last year.

How ever you slice it, Dombrowski is the best general manager to hit the market in years. He is a known commodity and the Mariners would be ridiculously stupid not to throw the kitchen sink at him.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

of course we didn't get him.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a proven winner just sabotages what we have built here.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some teams contemplate moves and others make them. While we screw around in Jack Z limbo for whatever reason other teams are acting now.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm still holding out hope for dipoto, but i can't imagine why he would go from a temp assignment with the sox to the baseball hinterlands of seattle.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just what in the fuck is there to contemplate with Jack Z??? It is like the Mariners just keep getting dumber. Meanwhile better candidates for the job will get swept up and the Mariners will be stuck with the trash

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Red Sox won the World Series 22 months ago and made a change based on the last year and half. God I envy a functioning franchise that values winning over anything else.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just what in the fuck is there to contemplate with Jack Z??? It is like the Mariners just keep getting dumber. Meanwhile better candidates for the job will get swept up and the Mariners will be stuck with the trash

Hard to not label this mgmt as, "INSANE"

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different
results." Albert Einstien

“There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.”
Oscar Levant

“It is sometimes an appropriate response to reality to go insane.”
Philip K. Dick, VALIS

“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
Friedrich Nietzsche

“I'll take crazy over stupid any day.”
Joss Whedon

“When you get to the end of your rope. Tie a knot and hang on.”
Franklin D. Roosevelt

Pretty much sums it up... Wish they were a bit more crazy than stupid...

Attachments

• 219075.jpg
    219075.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 29

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jack Zduriencik, who has had seven years on the job but with no playoff berths, likely will follow Amaro out the door, with Chicago White Sox President Kenny Williams coming in, unless Williams instead goes to the Toronto Blue Jays as club president.

Red Sox's Dave Dombrowski dalliance was more Tinder than tender

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Jack Z gets the boot... but I am also worried the Mariners are not capable of hiring a good GM. So it will likely be just more of the same for Mariner fans regardless.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Jack Z gets the boot... but I am also worried the Mariners are not capable of hiring a good GM. So it will likely be just more of the same for Mariner fans regardless.

The real issue is who makes the hire. Without Jack they don't have a baseball guy in charge of making decisions. Thats the huge difference with the M's and Hawks. Paul Allen realized he wasn't qualified to make football decisions and made hires accordingly but the Mariners don't have baseball guys making baseball hires.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you guys seen the bullpens DD has put together!?!

Have you seen the 7 year roster our guy has put together including a miserable bullpen? DD would be given a parade by M's fan just for showing up after living through all the crap want-to-be GM's we have had this decade.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kenny Williams would make an interesting option.

From 2000-2012 during his tenure as GM, the White Sox had a winning record in 10/12 seasons, with 3 playoff appearances and a WS win.

He is an established guy with a lot of baseball experience. With Dombroski off the board, Williams could be the next best option.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • The deal with the Red Sox will give Dombrowski a raise over the $3MM annual salary he was earning in Detroit, Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports on Twitter. The Nationals also had interest in Dombrowski, though they never made him an offer, Nightengale adds. Meanwhile, the Blue Jays had more serious conversations, and their involvement pushed the Red Sox to giving Dombrowski full decisionmaking authority, Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports tweets. The Mariners were “next in line,” though, had Boston not pulled off a deal, Nightengale further tweets.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

cough cough..bs..cough cough.

AceKeptic

Free Agent from Elsewhere
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, Lincoln, just what IS your master plan for this team?