• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dom Capers

packfancjh

Hoopla Cash
$ 403.15
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that the season is over all the exit interviews are being done. The big one on a lot of peoples minds is DC. Should we keep him or let him go. Here are some numbers and our rankings under Capers. Do we blame Capers for these numbers, the players lack of execution or do we blame the injuries on the defensive side of the ball as there have been many over the last few years. What are your thoughts

Packers defense ranks under Capers
2009: 2nd (284 Yards Per Game)
2010: 5th (309 YPG)
2011: 32nd (411 YPG)
2012: 22nd (337 YPG)
2013: 25th (372 YPG)

Packers scoring defense under Capers:
2009: 7th (18.6 Points Per Game)
2010: 2nd (15 PPG)
2011: 19th (22.4 PPG)
2012:11th (21 PPG)
2013:24th (26.8 PPG)

3rd down completion percentage under Capers:
2009: 36%
2010: 36%
2011: 43%
2012: 38%
2013: 38%

alldaybaby55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clearly the defense has been an issue for a while. I don't know that I'd put it all on Capers, though as someone who's coached (obviously at a lower level) the blame ultimately falls on the coach. Injuries obviously have a lot to do with the problems we've had defensively, and the young talent hasn't developed as quickly as we'd all hoped.

I think Nick Perry has shown flashes, but he needs to stay healthy and be on the field more. I'm not convinces he's the answer at the other OLB spot opposite Matthews, but I'm not ready to give up on him either. Mike Neal did some good things too this year, but he's more of a role player than anything, I think. I think an OLB gets drafted in the first 2 or 3 rounds this year. I also think we need to look at adding another ILB. Come to think of it, the only position that I would say is solid, depthwise, is CB (remember we'll get Heyward back), but that could change if Williams is cut, or Shields ends up leaving.

I'm not in any position to talk about Capers' defensive calls, I don't think anyone on here really is, but I really do believe that the talent we were working with this year could keep a coach from dialing up certain looks and creating different pressure packages. Again, from my own experiences, you can create the greatest blitz package in the world, but if you don't have the horses to pull it off, it doesn't matter. The one thing that does bother me is the consistent blown coverages...we're good for at least 1 or 2 a game where a guys is WIIIIIIIIIIDE open about 25 yards downfield. I wouldn't think that's a hole in the scheme...that's a mental thing. The problems covering the read-option in that Niners game was a discipline thing. It seems like that's an issue every year...and I think it was on the final drive when Kaepernick had the long run this year. IMO, mental errors kill this team.

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think anybody can have a clear vision on what the issue is. I admit, I'm as frustrated as anybody with the consistent problems with this defense. Communication and players out of position. Drives me fucking bonkers when I see the middle of the field wide open when it's 3-12 and they complete a 15+yd pass in the middle of a completely vacated field. Happens all the time.

They play one or 2 downs really tough, then blow it, wash, rinse repeat.

But I know Capers is a more than capable coach. I wonder if he's too smart and some players are too dumb? but he had them playing very well early in the year. Remember that? top 5 rush defense, like 4th overall ranking almost halfway thru the year? Remember? I remember when he came in, he took a shithole of a defense and turned them into an attacking turnover generating beast that lead the league in takeaways ( or close to the top) for a couple years in a row. With our offense, it's a perfect defense. Who cares if they give up 60-70yd drives that result in a fumble or INT. Our offense should score a lot of points with more opportunities.

This year again, injuries. One after another and it never stopped. I don't care who your defensive coordinator is when half your dline is out, you can't find enough linebackers to fill the positions and you're given only one semi capable guy at safety, your not going to have a very highly rated defense.

We're going to see a high turnover this year I think. We need safeties. One or 2 at least. Since they gave Burnett a big contract, I imagine they're only looking for one to play next to him, but after last season, I wouldn't be upset if he was replaced either. Maybe he was all over trying to cover up for other deficiencies and didn't play his own position well? Who knows

I think the dline is up for big changes. Mike Daniels was the only guy worth a shit on that line. He played well, that's it. Pickett isn't getting younger, he isn't getting better. He's declining and I don't think he's back. Raji? are they moving him back to NT? is he going to sign for the 3 mil he's maybe worth? I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that he'll play like he did before with a position change, but if it's the same level he's given us the past couple years I'd rather replace him with a 6th round rookie. Boyd outplayed him at the end of the year. They better not still have that 8 mil per offer on the table for him.

But who else on that Dline did much of anything besides Daniels? Jones didn't look at all like I thought he would, but he's a rookie and rookies gotta learn :) Worthy has to come back from injury. Jolly was a great story, faded heavily down the stretch and is coming off an injury and a FA. Wilson? gone Who else? Going to be a lot of cheap FA and some draft picks on that line next year I think. Besides Daniels, Jones, Boyd and Worthy, I dont know who's back next year.

If they're going to spend money on a FA for our Defense, it's gotta go to Shields. No way I want to keep Raji over shields. I don't think Raji is going to find that giant payday in FA, but maybe. If he does, i hope it's not from GB.

I'm fine paying Williams, I'd like him to be less, but it is what it is. Keeping Shields and getting heyward back keeps our DB's strong. Lots of linebackers. Mulumba looked ok, Lattimore needs a lot more discipline in his play to see the field any more than he does. We need inside guys as much as outside guys. Neal? he's ok, but will he be back? will he find the OLB more natural in his 2nd year at the position? I'd have to think he would or do you put the weight back on and get back on the line?

Perry didn't show anything more than I saw his rookie year and was hurt a lot, just like his rookie year.

I don't know, i'm getting long winded and not saying shit. I think Capers is back, I don't have a problem with it either. We need continuity on the field and can't be playing with entirely different LB packages and different safeties every series and watching other positions go down every game, and our expect our defense to not have hiccups during the game. It's always changing and it's not one guy, or two, it's 2 at every level of the defense every game it seemed. That's going to affect the level of play on any team, not just this one.

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems like that's an issue every year...and I think it was on the final drive when Kaepernick had the long run this year. IMO, mental errors kill this team.

It does, but remember, it was Bush, a special teamer and DB that is buried on our depth chart for that reason. But when we have those injuries who else plays? It's not unique to this team at all. If a team is down to a lot of 3rd 4th, 5th guy on the depth chart players, mistakes are more likely to happen.

packfancjh

Hoopla Cash
$ 403.15
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our D line is the biggest issue to me other than Daniels. Too many o linemen are getting to the second level which makes it hard for our ilb to make plays. Not a big fan of B Jones either. Hawk played well IMO considering what was in front of him. Perry played ok considering he played a lot while being hurt. I expect a lot out of him this coming year. Get some guys healthy and get a safety opposite Burnett(Dix?) and an impact player opposite Hawk. Bring back Jolly and Raji if he's cheap. Health to me is a big reason for our defensive failures. Oh and enough with the two man d line fronts against good running teams please Capers!

LoftonPack80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need speed at linebacker. Jones is not the answer and Hawk will give you everything he has, but doesn't have the sideline to sideline speed we need. He had his best season this year, but plays much better when he has a competent guy next to him.
This line is atrocious. Period. Outside of Daniels everybody has to step up.
Jones and Perry. Did TT get cocky in drafting 4-3 guys thinking we can convert them? Thats is going to be the question going forward.
I like Williams and Shields and hope Hayward comes back in 2012 form. After that...eh. House has alot of mental breakdowns. The safety position is a mess. Burnett regressed and nobody stepped up next to him. Why can we never get two good safeties at the same time? This goes all the way back to 2000. Sharper started becoming an All Pro and we lose Butler. We were never able to get a good compliment to him for all those years and then he leaves right after we get Collins. Then the process repeats until we draft Burnett and then injuries robbed us of seeing those two together.
I can't put this all on Capers because I just don't think he has the horses to run what he wants.

alldaybaby55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It does, but remember, it was Bush, a special teamer and DB that is buried on our depth chart for that reason. But when we have those injuries who else plays? It's not unique to this team at all. If a team is down to a lot of 3rd 4th, 5th guy on the depth chart players, mistakes are more likely to happen.

Oh I agree. But the other thing is that Bush has been around for a long time...he's not a rookie. He may be a special teamer, but it's not like he's never seen the field before.

Bush is such a frustrating player. He makes 2 HUGE plays in the Atlanta game and we finally start thinking "Maybe this guy gets it finally." Then...not so much.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was reading where the head coach said he is "incredible"... it would figure that at least on the surface the HC will have him back and has put more of the blame on the players and injuries. Who is out there that is better?

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I agree. But the other thing is that Bush has been around for a long time...he's not a rookie. He may be a special teamer, but it's not like he's never seen the field before.

Bush is such a frustrating player. He makes 2 HUGE plays in the Atlanta game and we finally start thinking "Maybe this guy gets it finally." Then...not so much.

I hear you, but that's why he never becomes a starter. It certainly isn't for lack of ability or desire. For all the knocks people give home, lack of effort has never been an issue. But when you're 4-5 guys into your depth chart something's gotta give and with bush I think its the mental discipline that gets him.

alldaybaby55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear you, but that's why he never becomes a starter. It certainly isn't for lack of ability or desire. For all the knocks people give home, lack of effort has never been an issue. But when you're 4-5 guys into your depth chart something's gotta give and with bush I think its the mental discipline that gets him.

Agreed. Unless you're incredibly lucky...you're going to have a drop-off.

LoftonPack80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was reading where the head coach said he is "incredible"... it would figure that at least on the surface the HC will have him back and has put more of the blame on the players and injuries. Who is out there that is better?

Scheme wise they would stay the same so IF they made a move I think they would promote from within, or maybe look at Pittsburghs staff. Just my opinion.