• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dolphins resign Xavien

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On May 9, 2019, the Dolphins Howard to a five- year, $75.25 million contract extension. There were 4 years left on that contract!
After a camp holdout, Howard's extortion has netted him a new, new contract.

Now this:
Dolphins have also given Howard assurances that they’ll revisit the deal early in 2022 to bring it in line with the market should Howard be both healthy and productive this season

Are the Dolphins setting themselves up for more problems?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ridiculous. I've said for years teams need to start letting players sit out. It hurts you in the short run but helps you in the long run. I'm fine once you start seriously negotiating with a player sitting out until it is done to protect from injury, but when these guys want to force a trade or contract by not reporting...screw them...

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ridiculous. I've said for years teams need to start letting players sit out. It hurts you in the short run but helps you in the long run. I'm fine once you start seriously negotiating with a player sitting out until it is done to protect from injury, but when these guys want to force a trade or contract by not reporting...screw them...
I'm torn on it, at least with the nfl. If a player underperformed his contract he can be released for a fraction of the value of his contract. If he overpeeforms then that is his contract so tough shit.

If the NFL shifted to fully gauranteed contracts I would be with you 100%

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This seems like a byproduct of Miami not having a QB on a franchise QB deal.

Smart move by Xavien to see his opportunity because its a rare one. I guess Noah Iggy is looking like a reach and/or bust if this deal was made.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This seems like a byproduct of Miami not having a QB on a franchise QB deal.

Smart move by Xavien to see his opportunity because its a rare one. I guess Noah Iggy is looking like a reach and/or bust if this deal was made.
It is for sure the opposite of the Leveon Bell cautionary tale. I think we might see a lot more Bell scenarios in yhe future thanks to Miami

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is for sure the opposite of the Leveon Bell cautionary tale. I think we might see a lot more Bell scenarios in yhe future thanks to Miami
Its hard to say. RB is one of the most devalued positions in the NFL. CB...there really aren't that many elite guys in the league right now.

There are certainly some guys who have leverage that could do this kind of thing. Kelce, Kittle, Donald, etc. Most of them are trying to win a Super Bowl, though. Howard is probably going to miss Miami's SB window (if they have one)

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its hard to say. RB is one of the most devalued positions in the NFL. CB...there really aren't that many elite guys in the league right now.

There are certainly some guys who have leverage that could do this kind of thing. Kelce, Kittle, Donald, etc. Most of them are trying to win a Super Bowl, though. Howard is probably going to miss Miami's SB window (if they have one)
I didn't think of positional value. Maybe Howard's situation is completely unique, if so, kudos to him for capitalizing on it.

Miami also just recently took the other path with a DB, and I think it ksbsafe to say they came outbworse for it. The 2 1sts is nice, but Minkah is still very young and one of the best in the game. Perhaps this made them more likely to deal as well.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One 1st, got my Adams/Fitzpatrick trade mixed up.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One 1st, got my Adams/Fitzpatrick trade mixed up.
The thing with Minkah is that their coaching/scheme sucked for him IIRC.

Its hard to knock Miami's overall strategy. If they drafted Herbert instead of Tua (or if Tua gets better) then they'll have a huge competitive window. I think Howard's push for more money will be fairly unique. There are a lot of teams in the NFL that would trade Howard if he did that on their team.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing with Minkah is that their coaching/scheme sucked for him IIRC.

Its hard to knock Miami's overall strategy. If they drafted Herbert instead of Tua (or if Tua gets better) then they'll have a huge competitive window. I think Howard's push for more money will be fairly unique. There are a lot of teams in the NFL that would trade Howard if he did that on their team.
Yeah, Miami kept placing him in the slot instead of safety.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope for Phin fans that Tua likes throwing into tiny windows. The Dolphins already had a very small window to recapture any fame. Now the window is microscopic.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow... So Howard has the Fins by the balls.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's taking a page out of the Darrelle Greedvis playbook. "Fuck you, pay me".

If they keep paying him, I guess I can't really blame him though.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's taking a page out of the Darrelle Greedvis playbook. "Fuck you, pay me".

If they keep paying him, I guess I can't really blame him though.
If he earns it instead of regressing to his past career.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I wonder if he will be willing to renegotiate if he is playing like shit or gets injured so that the Dolphins can save some money on lack of production? The amount of guaranteed money starting to get pushed into these contracts make it a lot harder to cut unless you want to totally rework that cap number over a couple year period. You can cut the guy, but it blows your cap up for a year or two. Do that too many times and you left with a dude roster. I would be like, sit out. You just signed a big contract with 4 years left on it. Fulfill it. I am fulfilling my end of the contract by continuing to pay you based on that contract. Worried about being cut? Be productive and earn that contract and you don't have to worry about it.