• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL Does Phillip Rivers ever win a super bowl??

Does Phillip Rivers ever win a super bowl?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're special teams were pretty much all time terrible in 2010. They missed the playoffs by 1 game at 9-7, behind the Chiefs who won the AFC West at 10-6. And just look at some of these losses.

At Kansas City, gave up a 94 yard punt return touchdown, lost by 7.

At Seattle, gave up a a 101 yard kickoff return touchdown AND a 99 yard kickoff return touchdown, lost by 7.

At Oakland, had a punt blocked for a safety AND another punt blocked for a touchdown, lost by 8.

At St. Louis, had a field goal attempt blocked, lost by 3.

Against New England, missed 50 yard field goal with 27 seconds left, lost by 3.

It became absurd how bad their special teams were. It was like a game, what ridiculous way will the Chargers special teams blow the game this week? And those are just games they lost where the special teams screwed up. They beat the Broncos 33-28 in a game where they missed another field goal (albeit a long one), gave up a 103 yard kickoff return touchdown, and allowed Denver to recover an onside kick.

I have never in my life seen special teams cost a team so many games. All in all that season, they had 4 blocked punts and another deflected, three kick return touchdowns, and a punt return touchdown.

I was trying to remember how that all went down. I just remember thinking "this is a Super Bowl team if they had even an average special teams unit." I forgot that their special teams actually cost them this much though. To me that has been a theme of Rivers' career though of close but just not quite there. I think in the right situation Rivers' could have won a couple of Super Bowls and would be talked about right now as a HOF type QB. Unfortunately for him I think he will be on the outside looking in as for most QB's Super Bowl wins go a long way.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was trying to remember how that all went down. I just remember thinking "this is a Super Bowl team if they had even an average special teams unit." I forgot that their special teams actually cost them this much though. To me that has been a theme of Rivers' career though of close but just not quite there. I think in the right situation Rivers' could have won a couple of Super Bowls and would be talked about right now as a HOF type QB. Unfortunately for him I think he will be on the outside looking in as for most QB's Super Bowl wins go a long way.

It will be interesting to see if he gets in the HOF.

If he has another 3-4 years that puts him top 7-10 in most volume stats (yards, TD's etc). He'll be up there with Ben and Eli cracking that group right behind Marino on the all time list. Figure a few more 6 wins years puts him in that top 8-12 range there, same spot for comebacks. And his QB ranking, YPA, Comp%, etc, the efficiency stats are all top 7 or so.

The weak spots are his awards...5 pro-bowls so far, no MVP's or OPOY's or 1st team all pro's. Not on the Manning, Brees, Brady, Rodgers level.

A big part will be how far he falls or if he falls by the time he's eligible. Rodgers should be around there. He gets really lucky as the only QB drafted after him that I see as truly a HOF lock is Rodgers until you get to Cam and Rodgers will likely be in year 1. Cutler, Flacco, Stafford, Ryan, Alex Smith, none I see at that level of Rivers.

Not a lot of waiting for guys. Rodgers, Eli, and Ben I think will go first year they are eligible. Warner, Manning, Brady and Brees should already be in when he hits his eligibility.

Of the other recently retired guys, McNabb, Collins, Hasselbeck (if he is), Kitna, Brad Johnson, Trent Green I think all miss it.

The other issue I would look at is the retired guys. Stabler made it through so there's one less. Guys like Ken Anderson, Boomer, Simms, Hadl, Brodie, etc. The good thing is most of those will be on the senior committee will be eligible for all of them, and I think that will be their best shots in. McNair or Cunningham are the only possible ones I see who could be tying up the ballots, but I personally don't see them going in over Rivers.

So he really has a shot at being HOF eligible for 5 or so years arguably as the best QB on the ballot... I think he could make it in as a lower HOF QB.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be interesting to see if he gets in the HOF.

If he has another 3-4 years that puts him top 7-10 in most volume stats (yards, TD's etc). He'll be up there with Ben and Eli cracking that group right behind Marino on the all time list. Figure a few more 6 wins years puts him in that top 8-12 range there, same spot for comebacks. And his QB ranking, YPA, Comp%, etc, the efficiency stats are all top 7 or so.

The weak spots are his awards...5 pro-bowls so far, no MVP's or OPOY's or 1st team all pro's. Not on the Manning, Brees, Brady, Rodgers level.

A big part will be how far he falls or if he falls by the time he's eligible. Rodgers should be around there. He gets really lucky as the only QB drafted after him that I see as truly a HOF lock is Rodgers until you get to Cam and Rodgers will likely be in year 1. Cutler, Flacco, Stafford, Ryan, Alex Smith, none I see at that level of Rivers.

Not a lot of waiting for guys. Rodgers, Eli, and Ben I think will go first year they are eligible. Warner, Manning, Brady and Brees should already be in when he hits his eligibility.

Of the other recently retired guys, McNabb, Collins, Hasselbeck (if he is), Kitna, Brad Johnson, Trent Green I think all miss it.

The other issue I would look at is the retired guys. Stabler made it through so there's one less. Guys like Ken Anderson, Boomer, Simms, Hadl, Brodie, etc. The good thing is most of those will be on the senior committee will be eligible for all of them, and I think that will be their best shots in. McNair or Cunningham are the only possible ones I see who could be tying up the ballots, but I personally don't see them going in over Rivers.

So he really has a shot at being HOF eligible for 5 or so years arguably as the best QB on the ballot... I think he could make it in as a lower HOF QB.

Possible. I give him about a 10% chance of making it in depending on the HOF classes he is going against. A great example is that I think Terrell Davis stands his best chance this next year of making it into the HOF. The group this next year is a little weak. It will be close but if he gets in before the whole Senior Committee thing this would be the year. I think Rivers will need a situation like that where it is a really weak class and they look at his stats and say "well stats wise he lines up pretty well with these other guys." Rivers' other problem though is not only individual stats missing but honestly playoff anything. He had a nice stretch earlier in his career of making the playoffs but these other guys you list are the type that are making it most years. Throw in during the playoffs Rivers has been down right terrible for most of it. His 2013 games bumped him up a bit but before that he had thrown more interceptions than touchdowns and had a terrible QB rating. So little success in the big games, not a ton of individual awards, and honestly another thing that hurts him is playing in a small market. I think if he played for a NY team he would be getting pumped up a lot more than he is at this time.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Possible. I give him about a 10% chance of making it in depending on the HOF classes he is going against. A great example is that I think Terrell Davis stands his best chance this next year of making it into the HOF. The group this next year is a little weak. It will be close but if he gets in before the whole Senior Committee thing this would be the year. I think Rivers will need a situation like that where it is a really weak class and they look at his stats and say "well stats wise he lines up pretty well with these other guys." Rivers' other problem though is not only individual stats missing but honestly playoff anything. He had a nice stretch earlier in his career of making the playoffs but these other guys you list are the type that are making it most years. Throw in during the playoffs Rivers has been down right terrible for most of it. His 2013 games bumped him up a bit but before that he had thrown more interceptions than touchdowns and had a terrible QB rating. So little success in the big games, not a ton of individual awards, and honestly another thing that hurts him is playing in a small market. I think if he played for a NY team he would be getting pumped up a lot more than he is at this time.

I want TD in myself. To me, if he had another five 800-1000 yard years and got his career numbers up doesn't matter. To me, the most dominant back ever over a 3 year stretch and unstoppable in the post-season. Things hurt him like how Denver had plug and play productive backs, but what he did was amazing.

Agree on the market easily there. I could see him nearly 50/50 at getting in his first 10 years of eligibility depending on who's there. My post on fellow QB HOF candidates are all based on things going as they have been. Flacco and Ryan winning a couple SB's each or maybe Cam or Wilson retiring early or things like that could really bog it down. Or if the Chargers draft someone who's got them winning a SB or just tearing it up by the time he's eligible (Brodie I think would have done better if Montana and Young hadn't been coming down the line in SF)

Just doing a quick search of Rivers vs. Moon. Moon was 4th in yards, 5th in TD's and 29th in QB rating when he retired. Rivers I am going conservative... 3 more years with declining play (he's averaged 4500 yards and 31 TD's the past 3 years, I give him 4000 yards and 25 TD's over the next three)... should be 6-8 in yards, 6-8 in TD's and top 15 in QB rating (tough to project that one). With more wins, better record, fewer awards (a few less pro-bowls, didn't win an OPOY), similar post-season success, and not the overcoming adversity story.

And Moon I think was a first ballot.

Heck you could be right... It's kinda all over the place for these guys at times.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want TD in myself. To me, if he had another five 800-1000 yard years and got his career numbers up doesn't matter. To me, the most dominant back ever over a 3 year stretch and unstoppable in the post-season. Things hurt him like how Denver had plug and play productive backs, but what he did was amazing.

Agree on the market easily there. I could see him nearly 50/50 at getting in his first 10 years of eligibility depending on who's there. My post on fellow QB HOF candidates are all based on things going as they have been. Flacco and Ryan winning a couple SB's each or maybe Cam or Wilson retiring early or things like that could really bog it down. Or if the Chargers draft someone who's got them winning a SB or just tearing it up by the time he's eligible (Brodie I think would have done better if Montana and Young hadn't been coming down the line in SF)

Just doing a quick search of Rivers vs. Moon. Moon was 4th in yards, 5th in TD's and 29th in QB rating when he retired. Rivers I am going conservative... 3 more years with declining play (he's averaged 4500 yards and 31 TD's the past 3 years, I give him 4000 yards and 25 TD's over the next three)... should be 6-8 in yards, 6-8 in TD's and top 15 in QB rating (tough to project that one). With more wins, better record, fewer awards (a few less pro-bowls, didn't win an OPOY), similar post-season success, and not the overcoming adversity story.

And Moon I think was a first ballot.

Heck you could be right... It's kinda all over the place for these guys at times.

Good break down of it all.

As I said Rivers in my opinion is hurt by 2 things...1) lack of playoff success as that goes a very long way to the voters and 2) playing in such a small market. He is honestly just kind of forgotten out West. I do think he should have won the MVP over Manning one of the years but Manning was the bigger name at the time playing for a more historical team and closer to the East Coast. Heck saw it this past year in the college game where McCaffrey should have ran away with the Heisman. I mean when you break the all-time all purpose yards record that is a pretty big deal. The guy was huge all over the field but most of his games were late on the East Coast so voters didn't watch his games compared to the Alabama games that are prime time almost every week.

Rivers just doesn't have the following right now. I do think he is very close to being deserving depending how he does these next few years. I have come to respect the guy a lot and the way he plays year in and year out considering he is playing for honestly one of the worst owners/GM's in the league. He has carried that team and kept them in a lot of games that otherwise should be blowouts. Just think though he needs at least a few more playoffs wins to his resume to make it though.

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:crazy:

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good break down of it all.

I do think he should have won the MVP over Manning one of the years but Manning was the bigger name at the time playing for a more historical team and closer to the East Coast.

I think you're talking 08 there. It's debatable. 08 Rivers led the league in TD's and QB rating, but Manning led the league in QBR, and While Rivers was .500, Manning was 12-4. Plus that was kind of the prime years for Manning with his pocket presence. 1 fumble in 08 which is insane. Rivers had 8 which isn't bad for a QB.

He definitely was a pro-bowler. I get that Cutler and Kerry Collins won more games, but come on...

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pulling for RG3 in Cleveland, but yes I can see Cleveland going a few different directions at QB by then.

I'm kind of thinking RG3 will have a good season since he doesn't have any big expectations on him.

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 votes for Rivers now. This could get ugly....

I think most would agree that Rivers has been and still is one of the best qb's in the league since he started from 06 to present.......Whether he wins a SB or not, he has accomplished that much for sure.....
Marino, never won one, Archie Manning never won one, Favre only won 1, Johnny U only won 1, Drew Brees only won 1 etc, etc......

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SD has the pieces to improve this year. Wiz is back, he has a new toy, and Manning is gone. The raiders are the favorite but we're going to see if the student(Carr) can beat the teacher. And then there's KC who better just hope they sweep SD again and SD does not turn it around. Last year, SD had a good secondary, but crappy running game and run defense.