• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dodgers vs Rays series thread

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone has their own opinion on the DH. I believe that if you are going to hit, you should be playing defense as well. I like the strategy that comes with the pitcher hitting. That strategy is, for the most part, lost in the AL. I do realize that the DH prolongs careers. Not sure David Ortiz would still be playing if it wasn't for the DH. If he had to play 1B, I not sure the Red Sox would be a first place team.

Every player should be good defensively including pitchers. I'm not persuaded pitchers are the foundation of a team's defense. I rather think it surrounds the catcher, middle infielders, and CF. I believe most every team is more interested in how a pitcher pitches rather than how well he fields his position. It certainly helps to have a good fielding pitcher, but it's secondary to his ability to get hitters out with his arm.
In most sports I would go along with that, but in baseball the pitcher is too similar
to the goalie in hockey. He is too important to the defense too risk injuring playing offense.
He needs to stay in his crease wherever the puck may be at any given time.

Imagine a pitcher getting beaned in the 7th inning of a shutout bid? Or tearing a hamstring running the bases
in that situation. You wouldn't want that, would you?

At least it's not like the NFL's game where the unlimited substitutions FORCE
specialization more than I care for on every player.

Pitchers ARE the foundation of a team's defense, because there's nothing any
other player can do about a ball into the 2nd deck of the outfield.

Last edited by a moderator:

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you're confusing the art of pitching with defense. Most defensive plays are not made by pitchers and throwing a pitch is not a "defensive" statistic.

Pitchers are usually hurt by throwing pitches or getting hit by a batted ball, yet you will always have a pitcher in the game. Position players, typically are hurt by collisions, running into walls, or running. Sure, some guys get hit by pitches and get hurt, but I don't believe pitchers have much to worry about in that regard. And I don't believe getting hit by a pitch is the cause of most baseball injuries.

Also, I don't view the pitcher as a "goalie". He has a mitt, like everyone else, but doesn't usually use it as much as the position players use theirs.

The DH changes the way the game is played. It changes the way the game was designed to be played. It dilutes the game. Using the DH at the All-Star game in Citifield was simply wrong. It was played in a NL park. Why was the DH used? It's bad enough having to watch the DH in the AL, let alone in a NL park.

Rambunctious

9er hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I told you the Dodgers would broom the Rays.........yeeeeeha!!!!

besaesa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rambunctious

I am ecstatic we swept the Rays! I hope we carry this momentum against the Mets!

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ozzie Guillen used to tell pitchers to stay out of his way, some goalie that is.