• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dodgers trade for HamRam

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited by a moderator:

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully a case where the brand name >> production on the field.

Worth the risk for them, imo.

With one of their rotation stopgap starters moved, I think Garza/Dempster is next.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully a case where the brand name >> production on the field.

Worth the risk for them, imo.

With one of their rotation stopgap starters moved, I think Garza/Dempster is next.

That's got the potential to be a disaster for the doyers....a LOT of money for a guy who hasn't been good in a few years, they give up a promising young pitcher who is in the majors.

Of course, they get Choate who will be their LOOGY.

I guess we'll see.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that it could be a disaster for them .... but from another perspective it has to be a great move for a doyer fan. Uribe just wasn't providing anything. HamRam can't produce any less. I also think that a change in scenery and not competing with Reyes may start to turn him back around ..... but as Tzill said .... we shall see .... I still remember the year that the Braves picked up Fred McGriff .... don't want to see anything like that ever again ....
I'd personally love to see us fix our 1B abyss ..... between Huff and Belt it's been less than a spectacular offensive showcase

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Dempster/Victorino might end up being Greinke/HanRam instead, if Demps can't pressure Theo into shipping him to LA.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These are the moves we knew they'd make, and that we knew would make this a tight race down to the wire.

I remember when I started discussing that, and everyone here agreed with me. So this shouldn't be a surprise to any of us!

:nerd:

:director:

:welcome:

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if anything, it can only be a disaster if HanRam is truly a locker room cancer. Matt Kemp looks like he's grown out of it and taken over the leadership role, but he used to be a known moper as well.....those two good be great together or big trouble.

Otherwise, I have a feeling that HanRam is going to be motivated and ready. Besides, even if he just hits at the exact same rate as he has been, he's a huge upgrade over Juan Uribe.

I think the Giants ownership must at least start to have the idea that acquiring both payroll and talent is going to be the Dodgers MO moving forward. Hopefully our ownership is up to the task to compete financially. They were with Matt Cain.

Either way, I like the move by the Dodgers. Eovaldi looks like his ceiling (albeit with very limited exposure to him, so I'm speaking with some major ignorance here) looks like a solid #3 pitcher at this point from what I've seen about his stuff.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if anything, it can only be a disaster if HanRam is truly a locker room cancer. Matt Kemp looks like he's grown out of it and taken over the leadership role, but he used to be a known moper as well.....those two good be great together or big trouble.

Otherwise, I have a feeling that HanRam is going to be motivated and ready. Besides, even if he just hits at the exact same rate as he has been, he's a huge upgrade over Juan Uribe.

I think the Giants ownership must at least start to have the idea that acquiring both payroll and talent is going to be the Dodgers MO moving forward. Hopefully our ownership is up to the task to compete financially. They were with Matt Cain.

Either way, I like the move by the Dodgers. Eovaldi looks like his ceiling (albeit with very limited exposure to him, so I'm speaking with some major ignorance here) looks like a solid #3 pitcher at this point from what I've seen about his stuff.

And isn't that the point? They have a rotation of two #1s (Kershaw, Capuano), a #2 (Harang) and a #3 (Bills). That's pretty good, until you consider their main rival for the division, which has three #1s (Bum, Cain, Tron), a #2 (Z) and a #4(Tim). If they add a #1 (Dempster) they're a lot closer to us. If they add a #2 (Greinke) or a #3 (Garza) then not so much. In fact, Eovaldi for Garza is a lateral move, that will cost them about $3MM more for this year. Then again, they pick up HanRam who will improve their 3B offense (but not defense).

The key to this deal is Choate -- dude is lights out against LHH...sort of Lopez South.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These are the moves we knew they'd make, and that we knew would make this a tight race down to the wire.

I remember when I started discussing that, and everyone here agreed with me. So this shouldn't be a surprise to any of us!

:nerd:

:director:

:welcome:

You've made up this world for yourself where everyone thought that the Dodgers would be awful, but you. That world doesn't exist. The mantra since spring training has been that the NL West is a 3-team race between the Giants, D-Backs and Dodgers. With LA's lack of depth, they were the odds on favorite to be on the outside looking in, but still capable of 87-90 wins, which gives any team a great shot at the new second wild card spot (while being a win streak away from the Division).

Certainly, with the new ownership, they would be willing to take on more salary, and that was exacerbated by their great start, then made an imperative after an awful month. Yes, the Dodgers now have a better roster, and need rotational depth even more (which they will likely get in Dempster or Greike). With issues over Drew's and Haren's returns from injury and the souring of Just Upton, the Dodgers are now a better contender than the Diamondbacks, but that doesn't diminish the Giants' chances, and it certainly isn't enough of a difference between thoughts at the beginning of the season to be a 2010 Padres-esque shocker.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You've made up this world for yourself where everyone thought that the Dodgers would be awful, but you. That world doesn't exist. The mantra since spring training has been that the NL West is a 3-team race between the Giants, D-Backs and Dodgers. With LA's lack of depth, they were the odds on favorite to be on the outside looking in, but still capable of 87-90 wins, which gives any team a great shot at the new second wild card spot (while being a win streak away from the Division).

Certainly, with the new ownership, they would be willing to take on more salary, and that was exacerbated by their great start, then made an imperative after an awful month. Yes, the Dodgers now have a better roster, and need rotational depth even more (which they will likely get in Dempster or Greike). With issues over Drew's and Haren's returns from injury and the souring of Just Upton, the Dodgers are now a better contender than the Diamondbacks, but that doesn't diminish the Giants' chances, and it certainly isn't enough of a difference between thoughts at the beginning of the season to be a 2010 Padres-esque shocker.

All I remember is getting a feeling about the Dodgers after their hot start, and being shouted down here by multiple people: "all they are is 2 hitters and Kershaw", etc. Just sayin'.

No one thought it was a 3 team race at season's start including me. Check the threads, we all thought it was us vs AZ, and many of us including myself thought AZ was a slight favorite.

What started it for me was the Dodgers going 9-1 to start the season. Some team or two always comes from nowhere to contend. I decided then it was the Dodgers. Turns out that was right. Big fucking deal I finally made a kind of correct guess about something.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And isn't that the point? They have a rotation of two #1s (Kershaw, Capuano), a #2 (Harang) and a #3 (Bills). That's pretty good, until you consider their main rival for the division, which has three #1s (Bum, Cain, Tron), a #2 (Z) and a #4(Tim). If they add a #1 (Dempster) they're a lot closer to us. If they add a #2 (Greinke) or a #3 (Garza) then not so much. In fact, Eovaldi for Garza is a lateral move, that will cost them about $3MM more for this year. Then again, they pick up HanRam who will improve their 3B offense (but not defense).

The key to this deal is Choate -- dude is lights out against LHH...sort of Lopez South.

Not for this season. I said his celing was a #3 starter (in my humble opinion and even then, I'm talking out of my ass), not currently. It wouldn't change what he's offered them so far this year. If/when Lilly comes back, I'm sure he can duplicate what Eovaldi gave them (1-6, 4.15era). If HanRam can hit decently well there, I think they're a lot closer to us than you're giving them credit for. Los Angeles should be an easier place to hit Home Runs than Florida's new park. Dempster invoked his no trade to Atlanta because he prefers Los Angeles.....so there's that.

I thought the Dodgers were through and I think they would be had they sat idly by (just not enought overall talent on their roster). I never thought they'd get a player of Hanley's caliber though either. I thought it would be something like Carlos Lee and a 4th starter. Time will tell, but the Dodgers ownership just made the rest of the NL West clear of their intentions to spend money.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I remember is getting a feeling about the Dodgers after their hot start, and being shouted down here by multiple people: "all they are is 2 hitters and Kershaw", etc. Just sayin'.No one thought it was a 3 team race at season's start including me. Check the threads, we all thought it was us vs AZ, and many of us including myself thought AZ was a slight favorite.

What started it for me was the Dodgers going 9-1 to start the season. Some team or two always comes from nowhere to contend. I decided then it was the Dodgers. Turns out that was right. Big fucking deal I finally made a kind of correct guess about something.

They still were until acquiring Hanley. We've been over this several times. They've been fading hardcore since their blazing start. I know Kemp was injured for awhile, but they don't have any depth (which was not hard to see). That team doesn't have a lot of talent to speak of on that roster. Unfortunately, their new Ownership group is not afraid of spending to go get it.

I don't think any of my predictions on the Dodgers have been wrong either.....I just didn't know they'd pick up a guy like Hanley Ramirez.....but I never made a prediction on that one way or the other. I just went off of what I saw on their opening day roster.....and I'm still not impressed with that.

Last edited by a moderator:

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Not much of any downside for the dodgers. Play Hanley at SS and you've made your lineup much better. And you can still go out and get Headley to play 3B.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
And I guess Dempster wants to be a dodger....... it's gonna be a dog fight. Belt better start manning up and playing like a dude.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
All I remember is getting a feeling about the Dodgers after their hot start, and being shouted down here by multiple people: "all they are is 2 hitters and Kershaw", etc. Just sayin'.

No one thought it was a 3 team race at season's start including me. Check the threads, we all thought it was us vs AZ, and many of us including myself thought AZ was a slight favorite.

The prevailing opinion, I believe, was it was way too early to get excited about the dodgers. They had a crazy easy schedule the first month.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Remember that one time I guessed right on that coin toss? I totally knew it was coming up heads.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

With the Dodgers opening day roster, I never shouted down someone stating they had an outside shot at the Division, and I think you're mistaking reasoned responses for getting shouted down on the internet. In my opinion, the Dodgers had last year's best young starting pitcher and position player in all of baseball, and they made improvements to a weak rotation. The only team that I thought had no chance whatsoever at the NL West Title was San Diego. I'm more surprised by the Rockies not even having a go at one of the wild cards than I am about the Dodgers being virtually assured a spot in the playoffs, at this point in the season.