• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dodgers trade Aaron Harang to Rockies

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably not adding much here, but at some point, and esp so for BZ, it's about more than the money. He's made a ton, and he has spent his whole career in the Bay Area, friends, family, home, etc. He knew he shat the bed for 5 seasons here, and redeemed himself last year big time, and he's riding that this year. He is now loved here - it's a story we can all relate to (well, except the scale of the money part!). I would have a hard time believing he would play anywhere else for a few dollars more, esp for him to play in those big money little-league ballparks in the AL East.

I hate to be a total cynic, but every team's fans have players they assume for similar reasons (beloved, ties to the city, etc) will give a substantial hometown discount. And they are almost always disappointed. If he signs below market here again it won't be much below. The big question is what's the market for him? Like Pence, it's kind of a contract year for Zeets. If he delivers again like last year, he will be able to get 3/36 from someone. Will he give us 3/30? Who knows...

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, lets say that he's a $10MM pitcher. What his agent has to gauge is if there is a team out there that is willing to go multiple years. If so, then Barry has to decide if he wants to leave the Bay Area. Everything I've read is that he is unwilling to do that. He doesn't seem to be about max money, and he's set for life financially. Maybe the doyers or Angels come into the picture since he lives down there but I can't see him leaving the state.

Lets say Sabes approaches him a couple days after the parade this November. He says "look, we're not going to pick up your option at $18MM, but we'd like to extend you at 2/20 or you can take 7 and cut a deal on your own."

Maybe Barry thinks "fuck that noise, I can get 2/20 from the Yanks AND 7 from the Giants" and walks. Maybe. Or maybe he decides he's got enough scratch and his agent counters at 2/24. They split the diff and he gets 2/22. That's $2 over market to reflect the $7 he gave up on the buyout.

That's how I'm looking at it anyway.

I seem to recall that since his marriage, the Bay Area (specifically, Marin County) is now his home. I do remember that he got married up here, and not down south, during the off-season (2011-12).

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's just the in-season, Nothern California home. The main spread is in Beverly Hills.

Are you sure, 'cause I heard it's in La Jolla...

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you sure, 'cause I heard it's in La Jolla...

Wouldn't be surprised if it's both but I know he was getting spotted in Beverly Hills all the time. His wife probably wanted to get him away from the Sunset Strip scene after he got married. I can't imagine the lifestyle this guys must enjoy.