• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Did Trading Sewald and Swanson Give Us An Advantage?

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey .hey ......yo..diddle..can ya play me a bit ..
A that..fiddle..
And..give..me..a.riddle...

Heee----eey..yo..diddle..

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Down In ThE hood.we doing all we .
Could...in a sand.rover..
Double .barrel...
Hand .over..

Soft..as..
Sweet..jazz..
And and a .....violin...

We call them..friend...
At .the bend...

Red light blue
Light ..
Jazz .it .at.,... night ....
And start..that riddle.....and .that ..a ..fiddle...

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t fault them for not thinking Swanson couldn’t be replaced. A full season of Brash and Munoz should’ve replicated him anything Swanson would’ve given the Mariners. They didn’t which makes the Sewald trade even more of a head scratcher cause Jerry and Justin had 4 full months of seeing Munoz and Brash aren’t quite there of being lock down set up men, let alone set up man and closer.

Problem with finding replacements though, do you really want them trading prospects for a closer? Just me personally I’d be pissed just cause they could’ve just kept Sewald and traded prospects for a legit 2B/3B or COF.
You don't have to trade for them. Relievers are the cheapest to sign. Even closers. And why T-Mobile isn't scaring relievers.

Swanson was as close of a lock out of the pen as we have had in years. He was one of the few that stepped up when needed. Plus, just replacing doesn't get you where you need to go. We needed to replace him, which isn't easy, and then add another key piece. I know that isn't the Mariner way. They believe in status quo.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My brain must be faster than my typing skills because I have no clue what part of this was....lol. Did ulmax jack my password? :)
To defend my old brain, I do have days every 3 or 4 months that I have nights of nothing but pee episodes. The other night I pee'd 5 times from 10:30-11:30, went to bed, and then pee'd 10 mortises from 11:30-10:30 that next morning. Those nights are just exhausting and unfortunately I know when they are coming on. Now I am diagnosed as having severe sleep apnea.I always knew I had some sort of it, but now it is official. They use some scale that determines it and 30 is considered severe. I scored a 40.5. I blame 46 years of being a Mariners fan on all this health crap...lol.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't have to trade for them. Relievers are the cheapest to sign. Even closers. And why T-Mobile isn't scaring relievers.

Swanson was as close of a lock out of the pen as we have had in years. He was one of the few that stepped up when needed. Plus, just replacing doesn't get you where you need to go. We needed to replace him, which isn't easy, and then add another key piece. I know that isn't the Mariner way. They believe in status quo.
I’m not necessarily disagreeing but who really is out there to just sign that is at Sewald’s level? Sewald didn’t get signed and get the closer job, and everyone else they have gotten that has done that job has either been traded for and groomed or just groomed. I’m just saying we can point to Sewald as a signing but the rebuttal back to that is Montero or Middleton who were brought in as closer types and were terrible.

I get your point, but that is what Brash and Munoz were suppose to be. It didn’t work, but I can’t fault them for that. At the end of 2022, Brash and Munoz were the best two relievers they had, Sewald was third. Even the biggest critics of the FO thought Swanson’s spot would easily be replaced by growth of those two. It didn’t work which sucks but I don’t fault them for that as opposed to trading for Frazier and Wong which both were below average players at the time of the trade and Jerry spun it as though the Mariners got them when they were good.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We
I’m not necessarily disagreeing but who really is out there to just sign that is at Sewald’s level? Sewald didn’t get signed and get the closer job, and everyone else they have gotten that has done that job has either been traded for and groomed or just groomed. I’m just saying we can point to Sewald as a signing but the rebuttal back to that is Montero or Middleton who were brought in as closer types and were terrible.
We have never under Dipoto signed a closer. He signed relievers. He can call them closers or Dalai Lama's, but that don't make them closers. Sewald was just a scrap heap signing that worked out...until we gave him away for utility crap. Montero was brought in as a cheap gamble for mid relief. Middleton was nothing but an arm signing. My point is sign a legit closer in the offseason last year or trade for one at this years deadline after you traded Sewald. There had to be a team out of it willing to unload a closers salary for cheap or fair market.
I get your point, but that is what Brash and Munoz were suppose to be. It didn’t work, but I can’t fault them for that. At the end of 2022, Brash and Munoz were the best two relievers they had, Sewald was third. Even the biggest critics of the FO thought Swanson’s spot would easily be replaced by growth of those two. It didn’t work which sucks but I don’t fault them for that as opposed to trading for Frazier and Wong which both were below average players at the time of the trade and Jerry spun it as though the Mariners got them when they were good.

But if Brash was suppose to replace Swanson, who was suppose to replace Brash? See my point? Even if Brash replaces him, we get no better. Status quo at best. Nobody wins with status quo unless they are already the returning champs. And Munoz was suppose to be Munoz which if he was, would still be status quo. I guess I see it completely different. I don't see how guys contributing one year can replace anyone the next year who leaves? It takes an outside source to do so. Either through minors or through outside the org.

I guess I really don't even care. It didn't work with either reliever trade at the deadline so I tap out of Mariners bullshit.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We

We have never under Dipoto signed a closer. He signed relievers. He can call them closers or Dalai Lama's, but that don't make them closers. Sewald was just a scrap heap signing that worked out...until we gave him away for utility crap. Montero was brought in as a cheap gamble for mid relief. Middleton was nothing but an arm signing. My point is sign a legit closer in the offseason last year or trade for one at this years deadline after you traded Sewald. There had to be a team out of it willing to unload a closers salary for cheap or fair market.

But if Brash was suppose to replace Swanson, who was suppose to replace Brash? See my point? Even if Brash replaces him, we get no better. Status quo at best. Nobody wins with status quo unless they are already the returning champs. And Munoz was suppose to be Munoz which if he was, would still be status quo. I guess I see it completely different. I don't see how guys contributing one year can replace anyone the next year who leaves? It takes an outside source to do so. Either through minors or through outside the org.

I guess I really don't even care. It didn't work with either reliever trade at the deadline so I tap out of Mariners bullshit.
Like I said I see your point but I just think that would’ve been a waste of resources, trading Sewald for utility players just to turn around and trade prospects for another closer. I guess we disagree, I feel Montero is who they wanted as the closer but Graveman took it with his performance.

Replacing Brash was kind of what Topa was and all those scrap heap guys they turn into viable relievers (7th inning guys). Would it have been nice to have Swanson sure, but Teo was a much bigger need. It sucks that Teo wasn’t anywhere near the guy they traded for but I just don’t see it as a big loss.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To defend my old brain, I do have days every 3 or 4 months that I have nights of nothing but pee episodes. The other night I pee'd 5 times from 10:30-11:30, went to bed, and then pee'd 10 mortises from 11:30-10:30 that next morning. Those nights are just exhausting and unfortunately I know when they are coming on. Now I am diagnosed as having severe sleep apnea.I always knew I had some sort of it, but now it is official. They use some scale that determines it and 30 is considered severe. I scored a 40.5. I blame 46 years of being a Mariners fan on all this health crap...lol.
I'm laughing at the 46yrs of being a Mariners fan. On serious note hope the Docs can get you back to good health.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching Sewald close the game right now for Arizona to go to the World Series potentially, and it’s honestly a little annoying … Good for him, but not real nice for the M’s …

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching Sewald close the game right now for Arizona to go to the World Series potentially, and it’s honestly a little annoying … Good for him, but not real nice for the M’s …
I love it. Him and Marte leading the way is awesome!!! They got a closer to lead them to the WS for a couple of utility players....lol. Who does that?

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love it. Him and Marte leading the way is awesome!!! They got a closer to lead them to the WS for a couple of utility players....lol. Who does that?

It’s so, Mariners though.. LoL Good for Arizona not hating on them, but it’s yet another trade that benefits the other team more…

Last edited:

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On serious note hope the Docs can get you back to good health.
Much appreciated. I am where I am in life and I just hope to maintain. I am actually in a good place. I lost everything including some health and definitely finances, but I am content with life. I couldn't say that 5 years ago. I am just finishing up as an assistant coach for my daughter with my grandson's 10U soccer team. It was fun. I don't recommend losing all your money and means to make more and get a divorce after 29 years or decline in health and see things that aren't there, but damn it worked for me. And no drugs or alcohol played a part....lol.

:suds:

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s so, Mariners though.. LoL Good for Arizona not hating on them, but it’s yet another trade that befits the other team…
No, I get what you are saying but I am more happy for the ones that get away these days. It was a stupid trade and he didn't want to go, but now he is dancing in the clubhouse...just for another team. Screw M's. Screw Dipshito. Screw Stanton. But again, I get ya.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So two teams in the World Series that were both 100 game losers just 2 years ago. Ya Jerry, please tell us about your 7 year plan. :pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound:(54 of them...)

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So two teams in the World Series that were both 100 game losers just 2 years ago. Ya Jerry, please tell us about your 7 year plan. :pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound:(54 of them...)
The 7 year plan is ……. We’re not spending, we’re going cheap, so this will buy us time so the fans will still attend bobble head night !

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 7 year plan is ……. We’re not spending, we’re going cheap, so this will buy us time so the fans will still attend bobble head night !
I can't wait until we have the annual 95 remembrance week so we can relive not going to the World Series 29 years ago.

Does any other team celebrate non championship seasons the way we do in Seattle with this Mariners team?

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Seattle isn’t playing in the series but at least you could argue Jerry helped get these two in there. Obviously the Sewald trade, and with the Rangers him being super cheap with Semien and super douchey with Kyle Seager.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's be real and honest here even though nobody brought it up but you can't convince me Sewald didn't massively helped AZ into the WS. He was stellar in the post-season. They were so clutch in trading for Sewald and I couldn't be more happy for him. Oh, and let's not forget about Marte as well, dude came up clutch numerous times.