• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2016 Thread

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Romine has value as a late-inning replacement for Castellanos in the field and as a pinch runner, and not much else. I'm not an Aviles fan either, but he has many more MLB games in the outfield than Romine, so I'm sure that means he'll be heading north.

I agree. They need another LH bat.
Lefty bat for sure is needed. (Wouldn't bother me a bit if Collins is our 4th OFer all year tbh.)

Casey McGehee had to see it coming before anybody told him.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry to be negative....but have you looked at the Detroit bullpen?

Hardy has shoulder problems and is unlikely for opening day. Alex Wilson is out. Lowe's, Verhagen's and J. Wilson's spring ERAs are lousy. That leaves Rodriguez and Ryan who had good springs.

So if A. Wilson and Hardy are out....what 7 guys go north? Rodriguez, Lowe, Ryan, J. Wilson, and VerHagen are in varying stages of 'ready'. Do they put Boyd in the pen? Buck Farmer? Lendy Castillo is a sleeper candidate that has done well in spring games. OR...do they look for waiver claims or make a trade?

With the lousy showings by some Tiger relief pitchers and the injuries in the pen....I think it shows you that Bruce Rondon has run out his string with the club. If he couldn't wiggle his butt into this messed up group, I'm wondering if his days in a Tiger uniform are over?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry to be negative....but have you looked at the Detroit bullpen?

Hardy has shoulder problems and is unlikely for opening day. Alex Wilson is out. Lowe's, Verhagen's and J. Wilson's spring ERAs are lousy. That leaves Rodriguez and Ryan who had good springs.

So if A. Wilson and Hardy are out....what 7 guys go north? Rodriguez, Lowe, Ryan, J. Wilson, and VerHagen are in varying stages of 'ready'. Do they put Boyd in the pen? Buck Farmer? Lendy Castillo is a sleeper candidate that has done well in spring games. OR...do they look for waiver claims or make a trade?

With the lousy showings by some Tiger relief pitchers and the injuries in the pen....I think it shows you that Bruce Rondon has run out his string with the club. If he couldn't wiggle his butt into this messed up group, I'm wondering if his days in a Tiger uniform are over?
Id be cool with sporadic Boyd during the season. But Id like to see him get atleast 15 starts during the year. In Toledo, preferably. But not ruling anything out there.

And on Rondon, I hope so. (Tie him together with Holliday...)

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigers lose 3-2 to the Yankees. ....Farmer 3 inn 2 hits 0 runs

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The injuries have definitely put a damper on what looked to be an improved Tiger bullpen. "Improved" meaning somewhere in the middle-10 of the majors in terms of ERA, rather than bottom-10. I expected Hardy and A. Wilson to thrive in lower-pressure roles (6th/7th innings), given that we have Lowe/J. Wilson as RH & LH setup guys, and a solid closer. Now it looks like a combo of Verhagen, Ryan, and Greene/Boyd (whomever doesn't win the #5 starter role) as the 6th/7th inning guys. That definitely weakens the group.

And I agree, if Rondon can't come north with the team, given all the issues with the current bullpen, he has no future in the majors.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not ideal, but I could see Fulmer being a part of the Tiger bullpen, perhaps starting in June, should he do well in Toledo for the first couple of months.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is official....Don Kelly is available. The Marlins released him from his minor league contract. The super utility guy hit .250 this spring. I see a job awaiting him in the Tiger organization....

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Latest Tiger news...

* Bruce Rondon officially optioned to Toledo.

* V-mart was expected to return to the lineup today, but the game was cancelled.

* Maybin has begun taking swings in the batting cage, indicating his wrist is healing on schedule. He's still expected to miss the first couple weeks of the regular season.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RATS!!!! The Rockies added Ryan Raburn to their 25 man roster. I was hoping to re-assemble the old gang...Kelly, Raburn, Inge, Coke, Joba....but it seems some of them are still desired as MLB players. (I see AlAl did not make the cut with the Angels).

I was picturing a bench made up of Raburn, Kelly (who could be the #2 catcher), along with Aviles and Romine. Those 4 could play anywhere - maybe not well - but anywhere.
:thumb:

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, if VMart is 'game worthy', I guess the 13 position players are all decided. (Except backup catcher, maybe)

I notice a lot of veteran relief pitchers are getting their walking papers and/or starting the seasons in the minors. I wonder if Avila is looking?

Verlander, Zimmermann, Sanchez, Pelfry, Greene(?)....middle of the road bullpen...offense better be in the top 3 in most of the important stats this season.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(I see AlAl did not make the cut with the Angels).

Hmmmm... 4 ER in 8 IP, 13 strikeouts, and Al Al gets cut. He'd be coming north as part of the Tiger pen with those numbers.
:exploding:

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is official....Don Kelly is available. The Marlins released him from his minor league contract. The super utility guy hit .250 this spring. I see a job awaiting him in the Tiger organization....
Or the Pirates.

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Detroit Tigers traded third catcher Bryan Holaday to the Texas Rangers in exchange for 24-year-old pitcher Myles Jaye and 32-year-old catcher Bobby Wilson, both teams announced.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Detroit Tigers traded third catcher Bryan Holaday to the Texas Rangers in exchange for 24-year-old pitcher Myles Jaye and 32-year-old catcher Bobby Wilson, both teams announced.

Looks like they used Holaday to fill out their Toledo roster.