• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Detroit Red Wings @ Columbus Blue Jackets 3|25 7:30 PM - NBCSN

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
God damn I love this game!

higgyfan4

Bossman you'll be missed
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, not the result I was hoping for. Still hanging on by a thread onto a playoff spot.

Jurco might be back next game. Doesn't get any easier Thursday against a very solid Habs team.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks refs. We got royally screwed.

Based on what the ref called on the ice, they were right to not call it back.

But should the ref have called that? It was close. I don't know if I've seen that called that way before.

Everyone in the East playoff race needs to be pissed at the ref in the Caps Game. Empty Net chance and the Caps player interfered with it. Should have been an automatic goal. Instead they gave a PP and the Caps score shorty to tie.

One HUGE point.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TSNBobMcKenzie: Rule 63.3: In event post displaced, either deliberately/accidentally, prior to puck crossing normal positions of posts, ref may award goal.

Discuss amongst yourselves.

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On most sites, when a mod drops a nugget into something controversial and then finishes with "Discuss amongst yourselves" it's usually a trap!

sherbert1421

Dead Wings 2.0
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it all comes down to whether you think smith or atkinson was more responsible for knocking the net off

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From seeing the replay of the goal, I think they made the right call considering the circumstances - was it perfect? I wouldn't say so - should they consider changing the rule? Possibly but all things considered they made a call and stuck with it and it was a judgement call - I don't think Cam Atkinson was trying to push it off or intentionally did anything to cause the net to come off - tough call but under those circumstances they made the right call

dboy97

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TSNBobMcKenzie: Rule 63.3: In event post displaced, either deliberately/accidentally, prior to puck crossing normal positions of posts, ref may award goal.

Discuss amongst yourselves.

The next paragraph says the following though.

In order to award a goal in this situation, the goal post must have been displaced by the actions a defending player or goalkeeper, the puck must have been shot (or the player must be in the act of shooting) at the goal prior to the goal post being displaced, and it must be determined that the puck would have entered the net between the normal position of the goal posts.

Was the player in the act of shooting before the net moved? I have my doubts.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was the player in the act of shooting before the net moved? I have my doubts.

I think Atkinson was trying to get into the act of shooting by pivoting his body and his keester knocked the net off the pegs before he made contact with the puck. A tough call for the on-ice official for sure and probably adds more fuel to the fire that a coach's challenge might not be a bad idea.

/Of course, if you believe in hockey gods (and who doesn't), the Wings were gifted one point in LA with the puck off the mesh, off Quick's back and in during the final minute of regulation earlier this season. They got the bonus point that night as well.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Atkinson was trying to get into the act of shooting by pivoting his body and his keester knocked the net off the pegs before he made contact with the puck. A tough call for the on-ice official for sure and probably adds more fuel to the fire that a coach's challenge might not be a bad idea.

/Of course, if you believe in hockey gods (and who doesn't), the Wings were gifted one point in LA with the puck off the mesh, off Quick's back and in during the final minute of regulation earlier this season. They got the bonus point that night as well.

I think Atkinson had stopped and without intervention would not have continued with enough force to dislodge the net, it was the defender who wrenched him into the net. And of course what is the definition of "act of shooting" entail? Atkinson stopped because he saw the puck through Howard and was swinging his stick into position to put it in. It is far too close for me to call whether he made contact with the puck before the mooring came off. But is reaching for the puck "the act of shooting"? I am not a ref, and do not want to be, but he made his judgement on the ice and based on his reasoning, the league supported him.

Wings fans have a right to be upset, the high stick non call was pretty pathetic. As was stopping play when the Jackets had the puck. And the three penalties in succession in the first, none of which was an actual penalty... But the Hockey Gods intervened and turned Bob's stomach inside out, and then gave them a goal off Joey's foot. Then there was that phantom duck out of the way by Jimmy on the hard around. How the fuck that stayed out, I have no idea. That was an insane game.