• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Desperate Move for the A's lmao

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see how that makes sense given the A's had their highest scoring month, 2nd highest HR total, and 2nd highest team OPS in August, without Cespedes.

So they're struggling without Cespedes, yet they're hitting better without him?

Now your just making shit up:suds:

As by month

april 5.28 runs per game
may 5.07
june 5.07
july 4.5
august 3.55

not going to win alot scoring under 4 runs per game:suds:

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kazmir had a 7.80 ERA in August and Gray had a 4.38 ERA. 4.38 is certainly mediocre in this era.

But where did you get the offense stats from, Stan? A's batted .223/.301/.345 in August (easily their lowest OPS in a month) and only scored 103 runs in 29 games.

Giving up Cespedes may have hurt the lineup, but he alone wouldn't have saved the lineup. Most of the A's hitters have been struggling lately, whether it's because they're hurt or just regressing. Or just a small sample size in general.

A's in August:
Donaldson: .313/.427/.490
Reddick: .271/.319/.482
Sogard: .267/.384/.367
Gomes: .250/.350/.250
Fuld: .244/.295/.341
Callaspo: .220/.255/.275
Vogt: .212/.247/.376
Norris: .202/.268/.292
Lowrie: .200/.250/.300
Crisp: .191/.255/.337
Moss: .169/.340/.208
Jaso: .149/.216/.234

You know what, I was on the wrong page...I was looking at the batting stats against Oakland's pitching, and not Oakland's offensive stats. My mistake. :doh:

2014 Oakland Athletics Pitching Splits | Baseball-Reference.com

Regardless, I don't see how Cespedes would make a world of difference, considering he's been ok but nothing special with Boston so far.

Last edited by a moderator:

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see how that makes sense given the A's had their highest scoring month, 2nd highest HR total, and 2nd highest team OPS in August, without Cespedes.

Idk where your getting stats from.

The As were atrocious offensively in August.

They didn't even get a homer from LF since cespedes was traded.

Moss tanked. Jaso tanked. Vogt tanked. Callapso sucks ass.

Shoulda kept reading I see you clarified your mistake.

Indrid Cold

Member In Black
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yoenis' OBP has been right around .300 since his rookie year...he's 28 and probably isn't going to get much better. I'm glad that the Bosox are only on the hook for one more year of him. He's kind of like Glenallen Hill, a magnificent athletic specimen who has power but is not really that much of a hitter unless you platoon him.
Dunn is right in the ballpark with him for OPS...of course, Dunn is such an awful defender that you can't really put him anywhere at this point.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yoenis' OBP has been right around .300 since his rookie year...he's 28 and probably isn't going to get much better. I'm glad that the Bosox are only on the hook for one more year of him. He's kind of like Glenallen Hill, a magnificent athletic specimen who has power but is not really that much of a hitter unless you platoon him.
Dunn is right in the ballpark with him for OPS...of course, Dunn is such an awful defender that you can't really put him anywhere at this point.

Glenallen Hill's a pretty good comp offensively, though Cespedes is a much better defender than he ever was.

Don't forget Dunn is incredibly slow.

Indrid Cold

Member In Black
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glenallen Hill's a pretty good comp offensively, though Cespedes is a much better defender than he ever was.

Don't forget Dunn is incredibly slow.

Yah, good point to bring up...at least Cespedes can get out of his own way. Dunn gets on base better, but he's sure not going to score from first often on your typical double. Adam was also incredibly clumsy on defense even when he wasn't quite such a slug, probably even worse at 1B than in the OF if it can be believed.
Hill was pretty funny in the OF, the Cubs' defense when he was actually out there with his buddy Sammy was atrocious!

oaktown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is what it is with the A's. They may have overachieved for most of the year and have come back down to earth...with a thud. Hoping they can hold on for a wild card. Go A's!

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Athletics first half scoring. Second half
Runs-second Sixth
Ba sixteenth. 25th
Obp fifth. 16th
Slugging eighth. 17th
Home runs sixth. 9th
Xbh eighth. 12th

Looks like their numbers are down across the board. Not to mention they are getting shutout left and right. So yes, the athletics were desperate when they traded for dunn. They werent planning on trading for dunn until their offense poof disappeared.

oaktown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A's slide continues

The A's have lost 3 straight, 7 of 8, 9 of 12 and 17 of 24 to fall a season-high 6 games back of 1st place. They led by 4 games on Aug. 10.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Jeff Smarjdjdjzya should start batting. And split out wide in passing situations.

Wasn't all that crazy about that trade. Did not like the Cespedes trade At All for Oakland. The Dunn move made sense to me. (Somebody needed to add him.)He takes pitches and swings for the fences. But he comes with a Post-Season curse.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As an M's fan I loved seeing Cespedes traded. It seemed like he would homer at least once a series against them. It could be an interesting series next weekend with the M's only 2 behind the A's

Sid Mead

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Billy Beane must be scratching his head wondering what went wrong with the Samardzija trade. In his 12 starts since coming over from the Cubbies he has a lack luster 4 - 5 record and has regressed almost a full era from 2.83 to 3.70. Add to that the current offensive woes of the Athletics, it looks like they have gone sideways with this trade. Getting swept by the Halos last weekend was not conducive in anyway.

:doh:

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While the math behind each trade was logical on its own, this may just be an example of over-tinkering here.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Billy Beane must be scratching his head wondering what went wrong with the Samardzija trade. In his 12 starts since coming over from the Cubbies he has a lack luster 4 - 5 record and has regressed almost a full era from 2.83 to 3.70. Add to that the current offensive woes of the Athletics, it looks like they have gone sideways with this trade. Getting swept by the Halos last weekend was not conducive in anyway.

His ERA with Oakland is largely skewed due to one awful start where he gave up 7 ER in 3.2 innings....

Before that awful game, Samardzija had a 3.21 ERA with Oakland, and since that game, he has a 2.74 ERA.

So it goes to show you how much one really bad game can screw up your ERA, especially over a smaller sample size.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I could care less about the wins loss record. The athletics clearly arent hitting and samardzija has been fine. If the athletics make the playoffs, them and the tigers are the two teams that should have the best shot as they have much better rotations than anyone else. The angels losing richards was a huge blow and it will be interesting to see what happens with duffy because that will also be a huge blow.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could care less about the wins loss record. The athletics clearly arent hitting and samardzija has been fine. If the athletics make the playoffs, them and the tigers are the two teams that should have the best shot as they have much better rotations than anyone else. The angels losing richards was a huge blow and it will be interesting to see what happens with duffy because that will also be a huge blow.

Does Detroit really have a much better rotation?

Scherzer and then??? Fister is gone. Verlander blows. Porcello is having his best year but he's never been trusted in the playoffs. Sanchez if healthy?

KC has at least as good of a rotation. Duffy is a bit of a question now.

Seattle has a lot of work to do but I like that rotation.

Baltimore may need to pray for the long ball a lot of times.

Angels is pretty desperate with Richards out but they got some guys pitching well and maybe vet Wilson pulls his head out of his ass.

Overall, I think all teams have pretty similar question marks aside from A's who just can't hit.