• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Deng to Lakers

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get why you got him. He is a good veteran and will teach young guys what it really means to be an NBA player as far as preparation and dealing with all the non court BS that makes a team a team. I just question whether 18 million a year is the price for that. There are other veterans in the NBA. He is a 12-13 ppg and 6 boards guy a game. You handed over 18 million for that to a guy who is on the wrong side of 30 and has some Tom Thibs mileage on him. I think you guys could have gotten what Deng brings cheaper. But then again, I am not a GM or involved in any of these contract talks.

You're still looking at it like the Lakers are in the same position as the Heat. They're not. Deng isn't worth $18 million to the Heat because they are looking to add another player or 2 to be contenders. Paying him that kind of money would end any shot at adding those players. He's worth $18 million to the Lakers because they need him to teach the young guys how to eventually become contenders. The Lakers young guys are trying to get to where the Heat are now.

The Lakers are probably 2 years away from being a playoff team and 3-4 years away from being a title contender. So, by the time the Lakers are in the position the Heat are now (looking for 1 or 2 guys to get them over the top), both Deng and Mozgov's contracts will be done or almost done.

Considering what other players have gotten and will continue to get, $18 million is probably pretty close anyway. Who were they going to get for less money that would bring what Deng should?

To be honest, I'm surprised Deng was even interested in the Lakers. He was one of the guys I was hoping they'd target, but I didn't think we had a shot to get him. It's not like players are lining up to join a 17 win team.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Heat are only 1 or 2 players away -- seems like he would be worth more to them. (compared to just being a mentor to younger players)

I think the Lakers had to spend something like $40M-$50M / year on players ... and if they didn't spend it on Deng/Mozgov, they could have been screwed to somehow meet the league minimum. Another approach could have been to absorb bad contracts while getting assets for doing it.

Why would he be worth more to them? He's not one of the 1 or 2 players they needed. If they paid Deng what the Lakers are paying him, they wouldn't have been able to sign Whiteside and it would have ended any chance they may have had in landing Durant.

The Lakers already did the "take on bad contracts for assets" it's part of how they got the young core they currently have. Now they need some solid vets like Deng and Mozgov to to be on the team for at least a couple of years to help teach the young guys.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're still looking at it like the Lakers are in the same position as the Heat. They're not. Deng isn't worth $18 million to the Heat because they are looking to add another player or 2 to be contenders. Paying him that kind of money would end any shot at adding those players. He's worth $18 million to the Lakers because they need him to teach the young guys how to eventually become contenders. The Lakers young guys are trying to get to where the Heat are now.

The Lakers are probably 2 years away from being a playoff team and 3-4 years away from being a title contender. So, by the time the Lakers are in the position the Heat are now (looking for 1 or 2 guys to get them over the top), both Deng and Mozgov's contracts will be done or almost done.

Considering what other players have gotten and will continue to get, $18 million is probably pretty close anyway. Who were they going to get for less money that would bring what Deng should?

To be honest, I'm surprised Deng was even interested in the Lakers. He was one of the guys I was hoping they'd target, but I didn't think we had a shot to get him. It's not like players are lining up to join a 17 win team.
That was me - I like Deng and I was surprised to see him accept the Lakers - Personally I think the Lakers could have done much worse. At this point the only two questions is how soon will the Lakers be actual contenders. I am betting it won't be next year or two years from now, so that shoots the 2016-17 and the 2017-18 seasons down to hell, but I think in the 2019-20 season that is possible. The second question is if Jim Buss actually resigns or Jeannie shoves out the door and if not how do they spin it that he's not leaving.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally I think the Lakers could have done much worse.

Yeah, they could have done like they did during the last 2 FA periods. Spend valuable time chasing superstars who weren't coming, and end up taking on other teams bad contracts and signing guys who are trying to just stay in the league, to 1 year contracts so they can meet the minimum salary requirements.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The insider on ESPN is suggesting that the Lakers could be a playoff team now - I would be happy with 30 or more wins. If we get that - bigger agents will come. Then in the next year, young players will develop and medium players will be traded for better players and super stars will be signing. Rebuilding is a process when you wait for your team to hit rock bottom. That's why Jerry Buss traded Shaq and kept Kobe.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Consider the source.
Yeah - I think they are just talking bullshit to get new customers to sign up for the Insider - it's the biggest pile of shit next to most of Wiggys posts. We could have done much worse though - we could have not got that second round draft pick and missed out on Mozgov and Deng. Yes the Lakers paid too much, but their backs were to the wall and they had no choice. They have to spend the money to meet the CBA requirements. They obviously need to look at that and fix what is a horrible situation with some players getting 30 million a year while others get nothing - It's ridiculous. I am personally happy with the Lakers improvements.