• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Deadline Trades

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I will say it again, we do not need to focus any attention at all on trying to pick up a RP via trade. We have enough depth in AAA, that replacing Grilli is not nor should it be a major concern.

I am not sure we will be making many moves at all this trade deadline. Not because we don't have needs, we do, but simply because the options available aren't significant enough upgrades to warrant giving up prospects to get. Take Rios, at this point I would give Lambo a 50% chance of being as good and a 25% chance of being a better baseball player.

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I will say it again, we do not need to focus any attention at all on trying to pick up a RP via trade. We have enough depth in AAA, that replacing Grilli is not nor should it be a major concern.

I am not sure we will be making many moves at all this trade deadline. Not because we don't have needs, we do, but simply because the options available aren't significant enough upgrades to warrant giving up prospects to get. Take Rios, at this point I would give Lambo a 50% chance of being as good and a 25% chance of being a better baseball player.

i agree with BP point especially, but also the second point.
only option i would have considered was garza, but lots of inconsistency season to season and high price tag.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We dont have to upgrade our better guys, just upgrade the easy ones

Fort, easy peasy
Snider, see Fort
Harrison, see Snider
Black, I'd rather have a higher floor, do you want him pitching the 8th inning vs the cards? I sure as hell dont.

I dont want us to trade any of our top 10-12 guys, but we can upgrade those 4 without doing it.

Hell we can upgrade any of them with just the 2nd round comp pick we got in the competitive balance lottery.

Last edited by a moderator:

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Honestly I never thought that. Was just mentioning him because the O's got him pretty cheap. That would be the only way I would make a move for BP help for a group that has been overworked.

The bench on the other i am surprised after the All-Star break they didn't do the following to give these few players time prior to the trade deadline to see if it would work:
DFA - Snider, call up Lambo.
DFA - McKenry call up Sanchez.

We all know Snider and McKenry aren't working out.

And if worried about space on the 40 man roster to make room for Lambo that can be resolved pretty easily by dumping Canzler.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We dont have to upgrade our better guys, just upgrade the easy ones

Fort, easy peasy
Snider, see Fort
Harrison, see Snider
Black, I'd rather have a higher floor, do you want him pitching the 8th inning vs the cards? I sure as hell dont.

I dont want us to trade any of our top 10-12 guys, but we can upgrade those 4 without doing it.

Hell we can upgrade any of them with just the 2nd round comp pick we got in the competitive balance lottery.

I am in no way opposed to moving Fort or Harrison or Snider, but the thinking that they have no value is just wrong. You try to trade them first to open a spot, however if Harrison or Fort is on the roster Aug1, then there is a problem. You can't just DFA them right now, there is no reason to throw away useful pieces. However, they will not make the team better in the playoffs, so there is no reason to keep them around just in case we make the post season. On Aug 31, Lambo and Sanchez should both be called up if we haven't been able to trade to improve our areas of weakness.

I have absolutely no problem with Vic Black, he has been closing at AAA, and hasn't been walking many batters in the last month or so. He is not going to be asked to be the 8th or 9th inning guy right now, just someone to get an out or two in the 6th or 7th.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Delmonico was a good haul for the Brewers, he's an upside guy that either booms or busts, I wouldn't give him up for a rental reliever.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Delmonico was a good haul for the Brewers, he's an upside guy that either booms or busts, I wouldn't give him up for a rental reliever.

Yeah, that was a good flip for the Brewer. They're going no where, and they've acquired a youngin' for a reliever on an expiring deal. Combine that trade with the one that Texas made with the cubbies and it's pretty apparent that the Bucs are dealing with a sellers market. Oh well...

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am in no way opposed to moving Fort or Harrison or Snider, but the thinking that they have no value is just wrong. You try to trade them first to open a spot, however if Harrison or Fort is on the roster Aug1, then there is a problem. You can't just DFA them right now, there is no reason to throw away useful pieces. However, they will not make the team better in the playoffs, so there is no reason to keep them around just in case we make the post season. On Aug 31, Lambo and Sanchez should both be called up if we haven't been able to trade to improve our areas of weakness.

I have absolutely no problem with Vic Black, he has been closing at AAA, and hasn't been walking many batters in the last month or so. He is not going to be asked to be the 8th or 9th inning guy right now, just someone to get an out or two in the 6th or 7th.

Yeah, I'm of the mind we need to just improve our bench with a minor move, be it shipping off a current bench player and our extra pick or a lesser prospect, calling up a player or two from AAA who are performing there, or both. Presley, Lambo, and Sanchez would all be upgrades at this point, in my opinion, and it really doesn't cost us anything to call any of them up.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agree, not sure I'm completely ready to give up on the Mckenry since the catcher position is so god awful all around the league, but yea Snider and Harrison are fringe guys at this point, but the Pirates should still try and get something out of them.

Ideally the bucs pick a corner OF bat and depth and Snider or Harrison go back the other way as immediate fill ins to the other team. They aren't terrible players if you can be patient with them.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Honestly I never thought that. Was just mentioning him because the O's got him pretty cheap. That would be the only way I would make a move for BP help for a group that has been overworked.

The bench on the other i am surprised after the All-Star break they didn't do the following to give these few players time prior to the trade deadline to see if it would work:
DFA - Snider, call up Lambo.
DFA - McKenry call up Sanchez.

We all know Snider and McKenry aren't working out.

And if worried about space on the 40 man roster to make room for Lambo that can be resolved pretty easily by dumping Canzler.

The O's gave up a pretty high ceiling prospect for 2 months of K-Rod. Granted the floor is very low, but he does have pretty good value.

Snider and McKenry may well be DFA'd, but right after the ASG was not the right time. Keep every asset available to you to try to use to leverage a trade. If you can not work out a trade, then you look at options like a DFA. Honestly, I am not sure I would be in favor of a DFA for Snider this season, the guy is to talented to give up on right now. However, if he was to suffer an injury and need to be placed on the 60 day DL, I would not be surprised at all.

I am actually shocked that we sit 7 days from the non-waiver trade deadline and only 3 teams seem to have given up. Seattle going on a mini-run and deciding not to sell is idiotic, they have no shot. Same goes for SD, SF, NL East outside of Atlanta and Colorado, and that is just in the NL, other than Seattle.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that was a good flip for the Brewer. They're going no where, and they've acquired a youngin' for a reliever on an expiring deal. Combine that trade with the one that Texas made with the cubbies and it's pretty apparent that the Bucs are dealing with a sellers market. Oh well...

For sure, and there are reports the White Sox turned down Carols Martinez for Alexei Ramirez. Carlos Martinez is a top 20-40 prospect depending on what list you look at. That price terrifies me.

White Sox trade rumors: Reported Alexei Ramirez-Carlos Martinez proposal provides first names - South Side Sox

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For sure, and there are reports the White Sox turned down Carols Martinez for Alexei Ramirez. Carlos Martinez is a top 20-40 prospect depending on what list you look at. That price terrifies me.

It is becoming more and more apparent that the only realistic way the Bucs are going to upgrade the offense for an everyday position player at either 1B and/or RF is if they're willing to part with guys like Taillon, Polanco and Hanson. You know every team Neil calls up to talk business with probably begin and end their conversation with those three guys.

There isn't an available position player out there right now at the MLB level that I would be willing to give up our three studs in the minors for.

I say they try to get the M's to ship us Ibanez.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well, Tony Sanchez will either be up very soon or he will be traded very soon. Ali Solis was just promoted to Indy giving them 3 catchers.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didnt mean just release them, they do have some value, I guess Snider has the most of the 3 and Harrison the least.

Stick em in trades, along with the rule 5 eligible suspects/minor league fa to be, that we dont plan on protecting and have a shot and getting snagged in the draft/walking ala Jones.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didnt mean just release them, they do have some value, I guess Snider has the most of the 3 and Harrison the least.

Stick em in trades, along with the rule 5 eligible suspects/minor league fa to be, that we dont plan on protecting and have a shot and getting snagged in the draft/walking ala Jones.

Same here should have said get rid of anyway not just DFA...

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The O's gave up a pretty high ceiling prospect for 2 months of K-Rod. Granted the floor is very low, but he does have pretty good value.

Snider and McKenry may well be DFA'd, but right after the ASG was not the right time. Keep every asset available to you to try to use to leverage a trade. If you can not work out a trade, then you look at options like a DFA. Honestly, I am not sure I would be in favor of a DFA for Snider this season, the guy is to talented to give up on right now. However, if he was to suffer an injury and need to be placed on the 60 day DL, I would not be surprised at all.

I am actually shocked that we sit 7 days from the non-waiver trade deadline and only 3 teams seem to have given up. Seattle going on a mini-run and deciding not to sell is idiotic, they have no shot. Same goes for SD, SF, NL East outside of Atlanta and Colorado, and that is just in the NL, other than Seattle.

Didn't mean DFA just meant get rid of anyway. Sorry for the wording.

Anyway I agree with all of you about the deal on the high ceiling player but looking at the non-selling market and lack of talent that was the perspective I was thinking.

For the Pirates probably not a good idea since they are a small market but out of the last three years I honestly think this is year they should make that gamble. No not a Palanco for Rios but make a gamble like that. Yeah probably Delmonico is not a good reference since he is now a top 5 prospect for the Brewers. I don't think the Pirates should include any of their top 5, for that matter top 10 for a part time rental.

ramburgh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It is looking more like it is best to either deepen the bench or to make a major trade like Cliff Lee or Giancarlo Stanton. The stuff in the middle is costing more than the value. Maybe the better talent will come at a more realistic price for the talent received. Marlins are going with the youth movement so maybe some AAA guys (Lambo, Pimental) mixed with a couple solid B prospects in A/AA could get it done? The Phillies are probably more interested in younger prospects with high upside (Heredia) especially if the Pirates would take on all or most of Cliff Lee's contract.